Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways of living you never want to go back to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I remember cold, sliced tongue being sold at the deli counter, along with the ham and corned beef. Was quite tasty in a sandwich iirc. Obviously I didn’t overthink the source in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Queuing like a eejit for an age when the boarding gate opens at the airport.

Ireland of the 80's where food was boring and bland; rubbery cheese...maybe 2 or 3 brands, frozen pizzas with rubber toppings, next to zero Asian/speciality food available outside of cities. Every restaurant menu was meat and 2 veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

DA is paid at the same rate as JSA, €220. The difference is in the penalties if you find a job, be it part time or full time.

Basically if you are on DA and you find a job then you can earn €165 a week and still keep all of your DA payment. You won’t lose your DA if you earn more the €165 either, it just reduces very slowly the more you earn.

That’s not the case if you’re in receipt of JSA.

Also if you’re on DA you are entitled to Free Travel and may be entitled to Living Alone Allowance and Household Benefits Package.

That’s not the case if you’re on JSA.

In my experience, most people holding down a job with DA don’t have a visible illness/disability.

Having a physical disability and trying to find a job is very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Manual chokes on cars, put them in too early and the car could cut out, usually at a junction, leave them out too long and you wasted fuel.

Non power assisted steering

• Registered Users Posts: 33,927 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Manual choke on a motorbike, on a humid 3-4 degree C morning it was perfect conditions for carb icing. The rapid drawing of cold air through the carburettor(s) combined with the cooling effect of the latent heat of vaporisation of petrol cooled the carburettors enough that ice formed and froze the throttle open and/or choked off the air supply. The only cure was to turn the engine off and wait 3-4 minutes so engine heat would conduct and melt the ice. Of course this usually happened when the consequent wait would make you late for work.

Ironically if the air was actually freezing or close to it, it couldn't hold enough moisture to cause a problem.

Kawasaki went to the trouble of routing engine coolant around the carburettor float bowls on some bikes, which is a great way of solving a problem which existed half an hour ago before the engine had the chance to warm up so the coolant could help.

This is now a thing of the past with fuel injection.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

And if a sign looked like off trying to decide if it had been twisted the wrong way by some drunk in a moment of high spirits or just askew from being absolutely ancient.

No matter where we were ever travelling in Ireland it was always, always in the fold or the corner of the fold of the map.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

When you asked for directions it was usually go down past this pub, turn at the church, then go right after the other pub and you'll see it right past the castle.

Churches, pubs and castles were the landmarks for direction givers.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Living in a location with no public transport, nothing... absolutely EVERY journey required a car. NEVER AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

That's actually a loss for me - some of the greatest characters you ever came across in your life was the village screwball who was directing you to go past Paddy Murphy's house and take the left after the 4th white house on the left...

This is only a small thing but I never want to go back to only having 1 cereal in my bowl in the mornings. I usually have 4 to 5 different boxes of cereal in my cupboards at a time and mix a random 2 of them in my bowl on weekday mornings.

Weekends I usually do a fry up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's an absolutely mad way to start your day. Are you talking two (relatively) healthy cereals or are you waking up every day putting Frosties in on top of your Coco Pops?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I used to do that with the variety packs when I was young. Cheerios and Nesquik. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Suckler

Can never forget the memories of the stench from my clothes and hair after working in pubs. The pillow would even stink if I'd worked a full weekend. To go back to that now makes me shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Suckler

Local butcher had spring lambs slaughtered and the fresh liver was snapped up. Had liver and onions that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many disabilities aren't visible. That doesn't make them less important or less debilitating.

I try to steer clear of the obvious sugar packed corn/oat/wheat/other type cereals.

Examples I would have would be combos of Weetabix, Cornflakes, Shreaddies, Shredded Wheat, Alpen, Bran Flakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

They still do it though

People are regularly asking for directions even now

No idea why they can't plan the route or use maps en- route

I never want to go back to not having a few 'smart bulbs' in the gaff. Super handy for certain circumstances and great for setting the mood/ambience in some rooms.

I have a lamp with shade in the bedroom on my side with a smart bulb. It's set to go on with a soft yellow glow in the morning as soon as my 1st alarm goes off. Helps me to see the phone to hit the snooze (only once!). It's also low enough to not disturb the missus but enough for me to see my clothes to get dressed. It goes off automatically after about 20 mins, I don't have to do anything to it.

I can turn it up and change the colour with the app when in use in the evenings as required.

In the sitting room I've two floor laps flanking the TV. They come on at close to sunset. Also have it hooked up to a remote with some presets. Bright for reading or tea with a guest.

Then I've got a motion sensor connected to a smart plug connected to a strip of LEDs that go along the bottom of the wall along the steps to the basement. Before it I've miscounted the last step an nearly snotted myself. Not anymore. Timer is set for 5 mins.

In the basement I've replaced all the ceiling lights with smart bulbs and grouped them into zones. They are also motion activated but the timer is more like 30 mins.

I'm using the Wiz brand, sub of Philips I believe. They are all wifi connected so no need for a separate hub unit.

I had then in my last place set up mostly the same and I will deffo be bringing them to where ever I move to next. Regular bulbs still make sense in the the rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cutting hay with a fingerbar mower........ Now that was torture....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Footing turf in the bog while the midges ate ya. Fecking hardship.

Living in the sticks with no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I was in Germany a couple of months ago, I was in a small enough town (think Birr or Edenderry, but Germany so approx 100k) and smoking in bars was... standard. It's illegal but widely accepted. I was asked for a light on the dancefloor. The bar man asked me if I wanted an ashtray! Mental to me as I was a kid when the ban came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Doesn't everybody know where Paddy Murphy's is! I remember to never ask a Dub for directions, if it wasn't down their street they didn't seem to know.

Would deffo not be fond of going back to pre-smoking ban days. Even the idea makes me wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

Drawing buckets of water from a well or wiping my arse with doc leaves.

But if needs be, no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

Ah no, the doc leaf is tried and tested for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Admittedly this was many decades ago....

Living in a house with no bathroom and just an outdoor toilet. Total hardship in Winter.

We didn't worry too much about mobile data those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Having a fight outside our front door, I don't mean myself I mean corner scum fighting on St Stephens day morning outside our door. Even worse the scrap was refereed by a local patriarch 'mon break he's on the ground let him up' We're not in the clear yet even though we're in a better area now.

• Advertisement

Sort of the opposite of the theme of this thread, but I want to go back to a world with physical tickets for concerts, sports events and shows. Not only were the stubs fun to collect, there was no messing around with finicky apps with ridiculous charges. If you wanted to buy or sell a physical ticket, easy. No so much now.

Advertisement