Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways of living you never want to go back to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Actually, a lot of disabled can work and want to work and you are just dismissing them. Just because you are in a wheelchair doesn't make you useless. Just because you have Downs Syndrome doesn't mean you dont have a skill that you can use as a worker.

Everyone, and I mean everyone has some skill that can be utilised if they want to - we are doing our youth a disservice by paying them the dole and leaving them at home, in bed, on their phones, just storing up mental health issues for the coming years. If they wont get a job for themselves. they should be made to do apprenticeships, for the county council / HSE / govn department and learn a skill that they can use going forward. No one at 20 should be at home in bed all the time, its frightening thinking what that young person is going to be like at 30.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I spent close to a year on the dole in my early 30s, after I'd gone back to college to get my degree. It was fun for the summer, going to loads of festivals etc but after about 6 months I was going spare. Couldn't find anything in Ireland and didn't fancy the UK so ended up in Canada. Still here 10 years later.

TBH, wouldn't mind another few months on welfare as long as I could cover the basics but any more than that and it would really start getting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Outside toilets weren't great on a cold night when you had eaten something dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

It sounds like you have no idea of the barriers that people with disabilities face when trying to get and keep employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

Having to ring 11850 to get a phone number for a place/person you were looking for - the charge of them calls were ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

not giving a sh*t about what other people think.. now I do my own thing.. as long as I am not hurting anyone - hey ho.. pity I only learnt of this way of thinking at 39...

wish I hadda learnt that in primary school..

I would agree here. In the public service I had a colleague who had MS, very popular with the customers, a great colleague. Most of time no issues, but she had the odd fall, and would be good humoured as colleagues would give her a hand up. However a new local manager had her quickly retired, albeit on full pension, as a result of a health & safety audit. She was devastated as she cherished actually coming to work.

I never want to go back to a bike with 'V' style brakes. Disc brakes ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I changed over to disk brakes for the first time myself 3-4 years ago and can't believe I used V brakes for so many years, they're amazing.

Just have to figure out how to properly calibrate them, I've been lazy and have been bringing my bike into my local bike repair shop whenever they go skew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Putting your name down on the waiting list in the local video shop for the latest VHS release - remember doing this back in the 90's for "Schindlers List".....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

And then having to leave the bloody tape/disk back to the shop. Don't miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Getting a 50p fine for not rewinding the tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Life before Google Maps and Eircodes.

Queuing for concert tickets.

Windows 3.x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭appledrop

Funnily enough this is coming back into vogue.

People queued outside Bord Gais for Hamilton tickets so they would get best seats but also to avoid crazy ticketmaster fees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I never want to go back to the old brake blocks on steel rims in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

gee yeah - I was only thinking the other day while using google maps to get somewhere.. "how did I find anywer before".. but you know what - we did.. maybe my brain was sharper ekk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Not true. What I was trying to highlight that just because someone has a disability, doesn’t mean that they can’t work - I’m not saying they have to, I’m not forcing disabled people to work; more if they want to, that employers should be able to be flexible enough to find a space/role for everyone. Maybe change desk heights, add technology to aid communication; that sort of thing. I think everyone has a role in life and by labelling someone disabled if that means they are being labelled that they have nothing to offer anyone ever, then that is wrong. RTE are running a documentary thingy at the moment on the news channel talking about this exact issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The disability allowance is an interesting one. Yes it must be harder for them to find work. But should they be receiving more allowance than anyone else who is looking for a job. I don't think automatically they should.

If they can't work at all then I think they should be getting more than the jobseekers allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I used to work with the wheelchair assoc. There are some people I worked with who had jobs but a lot didn't. Simply because their disabilities prevented them. The idea that someone who physically disabled and in chronic pain should find a way to make themselves "useful" to society or else they're just parasites, is quite honestly, disturbing.

Honestly, if you know absolutely nothing about a particular subject, maybe you'd have the decency to either say nothing, or do some basic research before you do open your mouth.

Your highlight totally ignores the very substantial additional challenges that face many people with disabilities in completing typical daily tasks.

Try commuting by buses that allow only one wheelchair user at a time on board, and where the space is often taken up by a child's buggy or airport luggage. Try working in an six story office environment where you're told that you have to wait behind in an emergency, and wait for the fire brigade to evacuate you. Try working in a large organisation where your managers will patronise you and drag you out for every photo opportunity, but not give you any serious consideration when it comes to promotions or developmental opportunities.

Honestly, do some research on barriers to employment for people with disabilities before you start accusing people of having nothing to offer.

The RTE documentary is a great example. They're promoting it on Twitter with video clips that don't have subtitles. So they're actively EXCLUDING people with disabilities from engaging on the topic of barriers for people with disabilities, despite having an in-house team dedicated to subtitling. This is a very typical outcome for people with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

This is after hours on a random thread. Don't expect everyone to be an expert on every subject being discussed before they can comment. If you want to point out flaws or educate then that's fine by me but there's also a way to do that. Why would I bother reading anything you want to bring to my attention when you reply with that attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Smoking, the stench, the frequent chest infections. Never ever again. Gave up about 15-20 years ago, don't really remember exactly as its that long. I still occasionally have a nightmare where i'm smoking and i'm so disgusted at myself and then i wake up :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I never smoked in my live but growing up my Ma, my sister and brother did. There was a point when smoking was allowed in the kitchen/dining room area. This was also the room where clothes were hung to dry if it was rainy outside. Going to school with 'clean' but smoke smelling clothes was pretty frustrating. I had to fight to get smoking banned in the gaff. Will never go back to living with someone who smokes in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ahh yes the smoke smelling clothes. They'd be riddled with it after a night out. You had to claw your way through a cloud of smoke to get to the bar. The eyes absolutely burnt out of ya as you tried to chat up some young wan while the electronic dance music deafened ya.

Advertisement