Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways of living you never want to go back to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Baasterd

Ha like Cheltenham on Wednesday (thursday/friday) morning...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

You really have no clue mate. I don't bother anyone. I mind my own business but you've extrapolated something in to me being public enemy number 1. You'd swear I said I blow second hand smoke on new born babies!

You're a rather lonely individual. You are probably the same type of person to label people snowflakes. Might be an idea for you to take a break from the internet for a while. Go for walk, bring some music with you, clear the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm with you pal. my bluetooth speaker sticks on to my bike with velcro, and it's great. I live in the country, so see few, and if I do, I whizz by them. No difference to a car playing a radio, but miles safer than headphones/earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

One you forgot. Aer Lingus. The only airline in town, so a return flight to London was 600 quid. Love or hate Ryanair, the fact that some of their flights cost less than the bus to the airport is something to be glad of.

I'll be stuck renting for the next couple of years but as soon as I have the deposit together, im buying. The standard of most places is shocking, and Ive had some very unscrupulous landlords. One place docked 300 euro off my deposit when I moved out due to "damage to the coffee table". Said coffee table was straight out of Ikea and costs 40 quid. It was a cheap fibre board jobby,

I wish more Irish landlords embraced furniture-less properties. If Im paying 1600 a month, I'd like my own bed. Not a bed and matress that have had god knows who in them. I have a couple of pieces of furniture I bring with me but I'd really like a decent armchair.

I've often heard the rhetorical question, why are Irish people obsessed with property ownership. Its because the rental conditions of most places are so bad.

• Advertisement

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Word on the street is DAA have bought the former Q Park site, a parking monopoly back up and running, what a country to live in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were three other airlines on that route. British Midland, British Airways and Dan Air.

The issue was regulated fares. When they were deregulated they were going to fall, Ryanair or no Ryanair.

Ryanair existed in the end of the regulated era and tried (and failed) to compete on service - better legroom and trying to claim that Stansted was a better airport because it had great architecture for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Galaxy00

If covid taught us anything, it showed the gap in health inequalities by giving people the covid payments and the rest of us expected to live off 200 quid, sorry like i also have bills just like the person who was employed during the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Should non workers not be happy with whatever they get? 🙄 very entitled attitude to say you should get more.

300 was a reward for working, obviously workers should get more than people who dont work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There is a difference between cycling through the countryside with a bluetooth speaker and inconsiderately walking around a city/town with a bluetooth speaker when you could be wearing headphones.

Not sure why you are relating to someone who does something entirely different to you.

I had some lad doing that behind me through Dublin over the weekend. Walking with his phone out held in front of him blasting music. I had to stop and let him pass/walk on a bit ahead as it was so **** annoying.

I find it rather funny how someone can continually tell people to 'chill out' on this thread while simultaneously doing something really really annoying.

Imagine someone standing beside a blackboard scratching their nails down it, while continually shouting 'chill out! chill out!' 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Will you both give over about the headphones. Or take it up in a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Might have been more productive to add something to the thread then to ironically talk about the very thing you want people to stop talking about?

Back on topic and speaking of slow internet speeds above, did anyone play many games online on dialup?

I used to play Half Life DM on a 56k modem and a 'good' ping would be 300ms. You'd basically have to lead your shots ahead of people and half kind of guess where they were going to move to.

The idea of being able to point at someone and shoot them where they were standing was a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s probably been mentioned, but I don’t miss the days when all you could order on tap in most Irish pubs in terms of beer was Heineken Budweiser or Carlsberg.

As a young wan in the 80s I used to book an (expensive) flight to somewhere or other, it was always through a travel agency or airline office. I’d often be travelling solo and wouldn’t have the faintest clue where I might end up staying. I’d wander the streets of wherever I arrived and knock on doors of bed & breakfasts. Often a B&B owner, if full, would refer me to a friend down the road. No mobile phone, internet or anything, it was pot luck, and my parents wouldn’t have a clue where I might be. It was good fun then but I could not deal with that kind of uncertainty now. However young folk these times must be missing out on some of the joyful randomness of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Be careful lumping the disabled and carers in with the scrotes claiming 188 a week and never have any intention of working. The disabled and carers should be getting a lot more than 300 in fact. You never know when you might need it. Anyway off topic a fair bit.

I think it is more than 188 these days. Anyone getting free money should be grateful, disabled, carer or people that are too lazy to work.

Only those genuinely unable to work should receive money on a long term basis. I am happy for my taxes to go to them.

I hope you need or someone you know needs to rely on carers allowance or disability allowance some day.

Muppet.

what? 🙄 bit harsh. I just hate when people are entitled, the government should give us this, the government should give us that etc and no thanks for anything given to them.

• Advertisement

Nah its not. A lot of disabled cant work. You'd have them on the street?

I don’t want to go back to an Ireland where being gay wasn’t legal

I know. I have no problem with the getting social welfare but this demanding more money isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Recessionary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I stopped enjoying it quite a few years ago too. Now I enjoy the very rare very single glass of whisky once a month.

What actually finally stopped me drinking though was surprisingly not just the lack of enjoying it any more. I seemed to keep doing it long past the point where I stopped enjoying it.

Instead what happened was I was at an alcohol free "all ages" Damien Rice afternoon gig. Which meant I was leaving the gig around the time of the evening when you would normally be going into a gig. So I was walking through various parts of Dublin City sober at a time when large number of people were drunk. And it was somehow the first time I really saw and noticed this. It was like night of the walking dead or something.

I am sure I must have seen drunk people while sober in my life before but this was somehow the first time I really saw it with any awareness. And I suddenly stopped wanting to be that person any more. Not sure I have been drunk more times than the fingers on one hand since.

Not that I entirely avoid night of the living dead myself. I do on very rare occasions indulge in other forms of herbal self abuse of dubious legality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I didn't mention gratitude because I was talking about what's its like to survive on disability. Obviously people are lucky to get anything, but to go from working and earning to physically being incapable, living on the bear minimum, bills still need to be paid. Just like many workers cannot meet the current cost of living, most definitely those on disability cannot meet the cost of living.

I would agree here. I am lucky to have a very modest public service pension and a little letting income, but have now developed MS. Had I been like this when working I would have had to give up, in fact I did have to retire early over health. But had I not been a public servant I would have been on disability and the bills would have been piling in all the same.

• Advertisement

I'm so sorry you've developed MS and had to retire early because of health problems, i can't imagine 😔 thanks for sharing this. Hope you get as much support as possible and hopefully it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg in the process. I agree, as amazingly lucky we are to be able to access disability allowance, sadly it doesn't meet the capacity to pay for a mortgage/rent, car and bills that most common humans have

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Advertisement