Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The scenario that sees the FA Cup final clash moved a step closer with both Manchester teams winning at the weekend and being on opposite halves of the semi final draw.

ITV are due to show both, and horse racing to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Both manc clubs probably means 3pm ya

wonder will CC move to 5 then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can't see them moving the time at this stage. They will have known about any potential clash.

Unfortunately that would be mean the Champions Cup final getting shunted to ITV4, losing the window and ready audience it would have had on ITV1. (Zero chance the FA Cup final will befall that fate)

I know the fans will find it anyway. That’s not the point. The fans will have a TNT Sport subscription. This is more about losing the casual audience who may not be die hard fans of club rugby who might watch given a terrestrial airing on a main channel, particularly as the lead in/lead out to one of England’s biggest domestic sporting occasions. (Also, if watching in the pub is your thing, expect it to be harder to find in many smaller pubs outside of rugby heartlands, who will favour the football).

Ironically, the reason it was probably shunted from 4:45pm in the first place was to facilitate ITV in showing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Why even create that issue to begin with? So bizarre and poorly thought out

There is not much they can do about it if they don't know what time the FA Cup final will be yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I doubt ITV as the free to air broadcaster (ie paid the least money for the rights) had much say against TNT or French TV when it came to KO time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It will be interesting to see how plays out. I agree 100% the FA Cup will take precedence here.

But I would have thought it is a fairly common discussion point in these sorts of contracts that the game will be shown on a channel of a certain standing i.e. must be BBC 1 or 2 and not BBC 4 or streaming only. If CC gets shunted to a secondary channel then ERC surely would have taken the view that was a risk they were ok with. I can't accept that this was never considered at time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The FA Cup Final will be broadcast on both BBC1 and ITV1. That's part of the current TV deal.

TNT are the main broadcasters of the CC. ITV only have subsidiary rights. Getting the money from TNT is more important to EPCR than the game being on ITV1.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Champions league final is normally at 8pm on a Saturday night if I'm not mistaken?

I think that's a great time to have it. I think you'll get a much bigger viewership at that time because there's not much else on a Saturday night to watch.

It is and absolutely it is. As I say Heineken Star Saturday wasn’t a thing for nothing! The bars did a roaring trade with the H Cup final as the lead in for the Champions League final, when that occurred (it was happening about every two years in the late 2000s/early 2010s, in years where the Champions League final was early due to the Euros/football World Cup).

I’m just not sure why a 4:45pm KO time that had worked for the Champions Cup for the last 15 years or thereabouts needed to be changed, if it was known that doing so wouldn’t necessarily avoid a clash with the FA Cup. (TNT will be getting the rights for that back from 25-26, incidentally, which will probably mitigate against clashes).

It’s entirely possible mind you that one of the Manchester teams will fall at the semis and this will avoid the clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Possible but unlikely, 2 relatively easy semis for both teams.

Last time both Manchester clubs were in the FA cup final the police asked for it to be brought forward to 1500 as it is considered a high risk fixture so safe to assume the same will happen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit shite that rugby fans have to inconvenienced because a shower of Manc thugs can't behave themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know anything about the FA cup these days but when I was younger and friends were watching it I'd watch it with them, the final that is.

From my memory it was always on at 3pm. When did that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think it began to change about 20 years ago due to TV.

Free to air games this weekend:

Sat 8pm Leinster v Leicester RTE2

Sun 12:30pm Northampton v Munster ITV1

European Challenge Cup

Sat 8pm Ospreys v Sale S4C

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

London flights creeping up already as you'd expect with the potential football clash.

Doesnt help that Ryanair now have a monopoly on Gatwick, Luton and Stansted. City has very little flights on weekend and that just leaves Heathrow.

Any additional capacity added will be priced accordingly, should an Irish team get through punters will need to start looking at the likes of Birmingham and then pay the train costs down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cheap flights to Bristol and bus it to London?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yeah there's other non London options but they can be a pain. I guess people will look at those of and when their team gets there.

What channel is this game on tonight? Can't see it listed on Sky

Edit: scractch that, see it now on TNT1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The opportunity to listen to TNT commentators waffling their special brand of bias nonsense watching an English team losing in Europe is one of the best things about Rugby currently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Glasgow getting rode by the ref here

Big time, he's given some awful penos against them, one right in front of him where the tackler made no attempt to get out of there. Haven't seen a decent replay of the yellow card yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

I just came on to say Glasgow seem to be getting absolutely nothing from the ref tonight. Penalty count against them at half time it’s crazy.

there was a clear knock on by quins in the build up to the last try. Quins had possession and the ref gave atvantage to quins for a knockon?

• Advertisement

Donbrandts turnover looks great first viewing, but the tackler comes off the hit and blocks the incoming attackers opportunity to clear.

Advertisement