Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Excited to see the stadium as I've heard some good things. Absolutely despise London as a venue for the final. 2012 was an amazing experience right up until the last trains starting leaving from Twickenham and then it was shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

That's dissapointing. That area of London is not exactly the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can you explain why? Are transport links not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought it was fine for the NFL game last year. Easy transport from Stansted to Hale if day-tripping and fully connected to the Underground if staying overnights, good craic on the main street in the run-up to the game. Though London itself kinda suffers from being so enormous that there is no central area where everyone stays/congregates the night before a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Transport links to London are of course excellent. Unfortunately the transport links and match day experience at the last Premiership Rugby game, left a lot to be desired, from what I read.

England has already had a high number of finals in the last 10 or so years. Surely other countries should be considered. Grow the game etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Spurs ground confirmed as venue. Think EPCR playing it a bit safe. It was in Newcastle in 2019 and London in 2021 although with reduced capacity. Would have like to have seen it go somewhere different. Bit odd that Spain with no clubs involved got it before Italy in the past. Will be interesting to see who puts themselves forward for hosting in 2025 and 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Disappointed with London, no interest in going there. there will be no atmosphere around the city.

The last time i went there for the final was in 2000 and England were playing brazil in Wembley the same day. you wouldn't have known either game was on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

The 6Ns in Rome is a brilliant day/weekend and I'd love if the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup finals were held there at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Parc ui Chaoimh would be great! The G.A.A would allow it. Pity really, Cork would be a great host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Páirc Uí Chaoimh in summer is probably not an option. Though, you never know, if Cork GAA want to cash in on their asset, they may be tempted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Outside of clashes with the Munster Championships, I doubt it would be a runner for logistical reasons. The Aviva, with 51000 seats, is the smallest stadium (when crowds have been allowed) to host the final in over 20 years. Plus half the capacity is on the terraces behind the goals, so less chance to sell premium tickets. They're not going to go for a stadium with not just a smaller capacity, but practically no premium seating compared to previous final venues. It's the premium seating and facilites that makes the Aviva (and the likes of San Memes) a runner with the smaller capacity.

I'd hope Munster can make use of it in future HCC knock out games, but the final is a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They are happy to move munster championship fixtures when ed sherran is playing his banjo.

A Hcup final would only impact one weekend of hirling fixtures, the seniors can be scheduled an away game that weekend relatively easily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Read my post. That's not the issue. It's a great GAA stadium. However it's not a great stadium by international standards. 50% capacity is behind the goal terracing and it has a limited premium offering.

It would definitely be a sell out, but it wouldn't make enough profit for the EPCR.

Its a better stadium than that kip of the aviva

🙄

The better thing is subjective, but for the purposes of what EPCR are looking for it most definitely isn't, its significantly worse and its never even going to come up in conversation for one.

🙄 your speaking on behalf of them now are you?

I know what they look for in a final venue yes.

PUC does not have the general capacity, the seating capacity or the premium and media capacity that they require. It would be a great stadium for a Munster SF but that's it.

Bath by hammering Saracens have squeezed into the CC next season.

But how stupid is it that 8 from 11Premiership teams can qualify for the Cup. Surely that needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not that different in quality than the top 8 in the URC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Any word on a format for next year?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"Every game in the premiership is competitive"

Same format as far as I know. Weekend dates for the rounds next season have the 4 rounds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teams qualified for next season:

URC

Leinster, Ulster, Stormers, Glasgow, Munster, Bulls, Connacht, Cardiff

Premiership

Saracens, Sale, Leicester, Northampton, London Irish, Harlequins, Exeter, Bath

Top 14 (as it stands, 2 rounds to go)

La Rochelle, Toulouse, Stade Francais, Racing, Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulon, Bayonne

Clermont, Montpellier, Castres, Pau (all within at least 10 points of Bayonne in 8th)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That is true but that’s gone from next year I think.

Whatever about quality, it's 8 out of 16 for the URC. 50% of the teams won't make it.

URC seeding:

1st seed: Winner of the final: 1 of Leinster,Munster, Stormers, Connacht

2nd seed: Runner-up in final: 1 of Leinster,Munster, Stormers, Connacht

3rd seed: 3 of Leinster, Ulster, Stormers, Glasgow

4th seed: 3 of Munster, Bulls, Connacht, Cardiff

Am open to correction on the above but seems to be the case based on this:

2022/23 EPCR Heineken Champions Cup draw

(4.) The seeding for the 2022/23 EPCR Heineken Champions Cup draw will be determined as follows:

(4.1) the winner of the Final Match will be first seed;

(4.2) the runner-up in the Final Match will be second seed (provided that the runner-up has qualified for the EPCR Heineken Champions Cup in accordance with paragraphs 2-4, above);

(4.3) the remaining seeds will be determined by the order that the EPCR Heineken Champions Cup qualifiers finished in the final Standing League Table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Can’t see the Welsh Rugby Union allowing that to change. Has to be a unanimous decision to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The plan was for the place for shield winners to be a short term thing. It needs a unanimous decision to change the plan.

Therefore it's changing.

Advertisement