Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media silence over Niall Collins story

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lads, you cannot sit here with a straight face and suggest that The Ditch are not Pro SF. They are 100% a publication, funded by Paddy Cosgrave, initially set up by a guy who now works for Russia Today, to find dirt on FF and FG. They don't even try and hide it, it's not subtle. It's difficult to fathom how you possibly couldn't see it.

There is a reason everyone uses the exact same article about SF to try and prove that they are actually just digging for dirt on everyone, irrespective of party. There have been plenty of juicy stories about SF in recent months, for some reason The Ditch maintained total radio silence despite some of these issues being right up their street.

There is absolutely no comparison between The Ditch and mainstream media, as if they're two sides of the same coin. This suggestion is absolutely bonkers.

The motivation of The Ditch is Cosgrave's personal vendetta against a government that wouldn't give him what he wanted. This is abundantly clear to anyone except those who don't wish to see it. It happens to be that this vendetta suits a significant portion of Irish society who have a dislike of FF / FG, and for now they are unusual bedfellows.

The Ditch produce some good content, but they pad it out with absolute garbage, because they are less interested in reporting the news and more interested in trying to push a narrative. All because the government wouldn't give Paddy Cosgrave a bunch of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The ironic thing being "if my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle".

We are where we are now. The Ditch is uncovering dodgy dealings by all parties, maybe the focus is on FFG as someone else said above, the other papers have not been doing it, but instead they have been focussing their ire on SF.

Uncovering dodgy dealings and corruption should be applauded.

In your opinion, is there room for corruption in governance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That's not where the damage is.

The damage is the electorate's increasing perception of the high levels of corruption and cronyism in both FF and FG.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Regardig the Ditch. Love them or hate them. A broken clock is still correct twice a day.

The cute-hoors need watching.

You believe The Ditch are uncovering dodgy dealing by all parties, while mainstream just focuses on SF?

If anything highlights how absurd this conversation is, this is it.

I'll give you 1 guess as to which of The Ditch or MSM gives a wider variety of coverage across the political spectrum. It's not a difficult one.

• Advertisement

Does anyone here openly admit to subscribing to the Ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

did you read my post? even if it was, which I don't agree with, but if it was who cares? at last some publication countering what FFG have been doing with tax payer funded broadcasts and publications for decades.

Your argument that they only write articles criticising Sinn Féin to give the impression that they are independent is infantile, "they are not critical of Sinn Féin so they are pro Sinn Féin", "they only criticise Sinn Féin to show that they are a worthy independent journalists". 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There's no need to subscribe, I can tell when they have something worth reading by the amount of hand wringing and mentions of SF or Paddy Cosgrove on boards!

My argument is not infantile, it is a fact. As I said, they don't even try and hide it, Cosgrave is completely open about it.

They are a blog, funded by Cosgrave, to find dirt on FF / FG. They are not a media organisation trying to expose political corruption, they are more than happy to leave some stones unturned if turning those stones is damaging to the wrong people.

They are giving you the content you want to read. This is fine, in between the garbage they do find some good stuff. But we shouldn't sit here and try to pretend they are something they are not.

Personally, I care, because I am not wild about some rich little man with ego problems funding content that is often disingenuous / obfuscated to push a narrative based on a personal vendetta, trying to topple the government of the day.

I am uncomfortable with a publication that was set up by someone who is a known shill for Russian propaganda, and who has since left The Ditch to join a Russian media organisation. This should be concerning for everyone, but some are happy to turn a blind eye because again, The Ditch is giving them content they want, and it's better if you just don't ask too many questions regarding the motivation or money behind all this.

• Not knowing who Niall Collins is is not a badge of honour.

• Advertisement

Anyways this is a complete nothing burger that caused a load of the usual outrage amongst men who spend far too much being angry on the internet and not enough time enjoying life. Their entire weekend spent replying to every Irish tweet with some hashtag, while Paddy Cosgrave was over drinking champagne and playing tennis in Rio.

Useful idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Now that is the most nonsensical piece of posting that I have seen on this issue.

Every single time that the Council decides to sell something, there is the potential that a spouse or child or father or relative of a councillor could benefit from the sale. Quite simply, the case you are building is a heap of sand.

Now, however as @Podge_irl points out, if there was something afterwards in the way that the land was sold, there are certainly questions. However, if the land was placed with a local auctioneer on open sale, and the highest bid was from the councillor's spouse/wife, then there is no issue. Doesn't look good, but not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Muted response from opposition parties would suggest there isn’t much to this years. No harm for TDS to feel like they’re being watched though. He might have to answer questions in the Dail but then I think that will likely be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

In the Business Post too https://archive.is/Kt4aY

Hes claiming The Ditch reporting is misleading and inaccurate. If thats the case surely he would have already filed a case for libel to get them to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Didnt Troy initially claim he'd be taking a case only to have the ditch double down and present even more damning evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Collins hasn't a notion of starting a libel case. He doesn't want them digging any further. Not a notion. None of the sleeveens that the Ditch exposes will risk that! Troy damaged FF significantly - not declaring houses in dodgy council deals during a housing crisis, not good. Red rotten, power corrupts.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Leo too when they published about the GP contract

This story reminds me of this shocker which went unpunished. It helped to ruin Labour though.

Gilmore's wife used developer interest to push up price of site | Independent.ie

THE wife of Labour leader Eamon Gilmore used a land valuation which said "a list" of housing developers would want to buy a site she owned when she was bargaining to sell the land for a school.

The 2005 valuation -- which said the site was in an area "in demand by property developers and individuals for residential development" -- priced the site at €525,000. Educationalist Carol Hanney was subsequently paid that price by the State.

Ms Hanney had agreed to sell the land in Killimor, Co Galway, for just €142,000 as late as February 2005.

But the details of her valuation are likely to embarrass Mr Gilmore, who has been consistently scathing about spiralling land prices and developer-led planning during the boom.

He proposed a cap on the price of building land when he was Labour's environment spokesman in 2003 and said it was essential to controlling house prices.

His party has been particularly critical of the State paying over the odds for school sites, with deputy leader Joan Burton hitting out last year at "property tycoons" who made "a mountain of money" from school sites in her own constituency.

Ms Hanney's site was not the locals' first choice, and they were angry when it was selected.

-------------

They were all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I've no idea who/what or where the Ditch are tbh. You know way more about them than I do. But if the shoe fits, it fits.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the overall motivation behind uncovering corruption.

You and a few others on here seem to only want corruption exposed if its by your self appointed sources. Which is a really odd way to approach things imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah yes, whataboutery, the hobgoblin of a tiny mind.

What Awec and some others have said on this today is bang on the money.

I'd ask those on the other side of it, where do you want this to be in a month, or six months or at General Election 2025? And where do you actually expect it to be?

Here's a question I asked you that you missed.

Do you think the council strove to get the best price of the land for the tax payer?

It's gas you're going on about whataboutery, but won't answer a question put to yourself.

Also not accepting this as a form of corruption because you (and many others here!) have a problem with who supplied the info is also ridiculous.

If it's true, it's true, if it's not, he'll sue.

And if he doesn't sue, you can take it as red that it's true, because this has done him some massive damage to his reputation.

As for where do I want it to be in a month?

I'd like this case to be investigated to make sure nothing criminal happened

In 6 months I'd like to see new anti-corruption laws being tabled so something like this can't happen again.

In GE25, I hope his opposition nails him and any other corrupt politician by constantly reminding Irish people that they deserve better than sly winks and corrupt officials.

What do I think will happen?

He'll resign his junior ministry, but not resign as a TD, and cream the system for as much as he can, which seems to be the done thing these days when you're caught doing something naughty.

Great post. Some people will cling on to the status quo no matter what. New Politics from FG promised lots of reform and delivered zero. SIPO were promised more powers and nothing changed. The 2015 Public Reform bill is still gathering dust. We all know why.

The 'I'm alright Jack' crew will just about countenance a rare RTE Investigates condemnation as long as nothing actually changes. Akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

PS. I don't think Labre understands what "whataboutery" actually means. Your post was specifically about the Niall Collins corruption charge and source.

This is the best and most articulate article on what exactly happened. Just facts, no obfuscation or spin, no pushing a narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

It feels like an orchestrated demonstration of unity by the politicians and media. All msm are on exactly the same hymn sheet: McConnell "small story", Pat K "what other small matters are up in the Dail today", etc.

I'm fully expecting Collins to pull out a notarised photo of himself and family at some Irish bar in Santa Ponza for the date in question of that council meeting. Watch how that will unleash a torrent of pieces from msm about the dangers of social media etc. etc. etc. They might even try to get the criminal charges being faced by ABP Vice Chairman reduced as a real show of force ;-)

Now if Collins does not have a definitive 'get outta jail' card then who knows...

If the shoe fits, uncovering corruption, all nice vacuous soundbites, but meaningless here.

So far, it's all just allegations. Allegations presented in a way that are deliberately less than transparent because it sounds juicier if you leave out some of the details.

You can be both for uncovering corruption, and still question the methods and motivations being used to try and push a story here. It's not one or the other. Of course, it's convenient for many to ignore the obvious questions here, and pretend that the story should be taken from The Ditch verbatim, because it's telling a story that these people want to hear.

Do you think the council strove to get the best price of the land for the tax payer?

This is all addressed in the IT article.

The site was sold on the open market. There were multiple bidders. The site was sold for €38k above the initial offer. The council considered the initial offer too low, and went back to get higher bids.

The article also points out that when the offer came in, the council engineer went to the other bidders to see if they would counter bid again. In the end, the recommendation to sell at the price it was sold at was made by the council's engineer.

Of course, all of this information was left out by The Ditch, despite all of it coming from the documents that they used to write their story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Advertisement

Were they wrong in the past? Troy for example?

Advertisement