Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media silence over Niall Collins story

Options
  • 23-04-2023 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭

wtf is going on? Bizzarre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apparently it’s such a good story worth telling the OP also kept it to themselves.

Who even the **** is Niall Collins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If seen people reference his name on Twitter. Who is he and what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Maybe they know we don't need or want to hear any more.

Because it is a much ado about nothing, and no one cares bar some bloke called Ronan who can't spell his own name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

So very bizarre op, most bizarre thing to have ever occurred in the history of bizarre things...

🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

On the Ditch ran a story few days ago about him as a councilor voting for the sale of public land which was bought by his wife, who then tried to sell it back to council, thats it in a nutshell. Not a mention in the msm about it, kind of odd no? Oh and not a peep out of the opposition either

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"In general terms, a professional negligence claim is a claim in tort that is governed by the six-year limitation period for tort claims set out at section 11(2) of the SOL 1957."

https://hayes-solicitors.ie/clipart/Limitation%20periods%20in%20Ireland.pdf

Even if everything the site wrote is true it alleges events that occured in 2006, comfortably outside this statute of limitations. And when reached for comment denied the allegations. What else do they have? They make no mention of any other recorded votes besides the 1 in 2006.

Site itself feels a bit gum and shoestring

https://www.ontheditch.com/about/

https://www.ontheditch.com/editorial-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think people are more concerned with FFG incompetence rather than their corruption at the mo.

The latest breaking news is that they're 'considering options' for dealing with the housing crises.

Hu - f**king - rray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's an important one to tell.

There is a very obvious conflict of interest in a land deal, possibly tip of the iceberg stuff involving Govt ministers. I'd agree, the silence around it is disconcerting as Fionnan Sheehan and the rest of the media went head first into the Hutch/SF links.

The OP asks an important question. Pay attention.

My own opinion is Collins knew he needed to declare that deal and rule himself out of the voting and very clearly made the choice not to, cast his vote which ultimately has benefitted him personally. That is a very clear a criminal offence. The silence is not to be sniffed at, how much else of this is happening? I would wager quite a bit.

Politics in this country is exasperating. Nothing but poor choices and self interested gombeens all round.

And is it any wonder - when posters like yourself downplay these things, people will take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭dasa29

If what you are saying is true explain this from the article, “While the method of disposal was not yet decided,” read the meeting minutes, “it would be by open market and the matter would be brought back to the area meeting again for further consideration.”

There is no mention of the property coming back before the council before it was listed for sale in the Limerick Leader property section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

If it's a story that should be covered, it should happen. But I also find it hard to stomach those The Ditch people digging up muck when Roman Shortall didn't pay his rent and built up arrears of nearly €50,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every person who aspires or is a politician is a sociopath

their life goal is to have power over other people

how fcuked up is that when you take a step back and really think about it

The idea that every journalist and media outlet in the country is deliberately suppressing this story is conspiracy theory nonsense. That site the Ditch is little more than a personal vendetta project for the absolutely hideous Paddy Cosgrave. That it was founded by someone who has spread pro-Russian proposals for years and now works for Russia Today is the main story here. Questions have to be asked about how it’s being funded. That Roman Shortall lad is bad news as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Could be just a precautionary measure😀

A good means of reducing the amount of power others have over you is to have it yourself!

I'd be reluctant for any of the morons I meet to have much sway or influence over me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I dont disagree with you re the ditch and its backers etc, but thats not the point. A Minister for State was involved in posible corrupt practice and its being totally ignored b y the msm. Imagine if he was a SFer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The media are more than happy to publish many damaging stories about the government (and rightly so)

It's significantly more likely they are not ignoring it at all and instead either do not consider it a story or are going through legal checks before reporting on it. The "media" ignoring a scandal about a TD is conspiracy theory stuff- it would be manna for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

SF twitter soldiers certainly putting in the work on this one, perhaps it is a scandal ? but the avalanche of activism on social media over the issue is quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Yeh right, if there's anyone calling an elected representative out on possible criminal behaviour you can be sure they're a paid up shinner...ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The president's dead dog is the media priority

Collins needs to answer why no comment from him or his party

If it were SF politician it be everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think Collins is the red line for FFG. The Ditch were well on the way to taking down the government, FFG can’t lose anyone else. There is likely many more politicians that the Ditch have serious dirt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Twitter is pretty sure losing Collins will bring down the government and cause an election.

Didn't they win the last confidence vote by about 15 or 20 votes?

Collins himself may be toast alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This. The Ditch shoot first and ask questions later, but "msm" (how I hate that American twitterism) perform due dilligence legally before electing to publish information that could concievably land them in the High Court. Sooner or later the Ditch will learn that lesson and it will be the end of them. Other media outlets have shareholders and owners to answer to (or in the case of RTE, licence fee payers), so perform legal housekeeping on info.

The Irish media aren't shy about baring their fangs and going after politicians when there's blood in the water. There is no conspiracy of silence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

As well as the comments so far, we do also still have a low bar when it comes to what's acceptable and what isn't. 'Id do that meself, if I'd know I could get away with it', mentality.

Who knows, maybe those in the media have made similar. Politians are no different to many others in pulling a stroke.

The Ditch have now produced a number of examples of politicians and their forgetfulness in properly declaring assets, to the point that you'd think many of them are just not taking these rules and regulations that seriously.

And they cry foul when they get online abuse when they should be placing themselves to the highest standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It might still turn out to be a big scandal

i was just highlighting the clearly orchestrated campaign on Twitter

it’s no secret that SF have a near professional army on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Not just SF. I would say now all the parties are exploiting all areas of social media. Sometimes I really wonder if many conversations are just reps from different camps laying into each other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Twitter is not a barometer for the real world though. I think most people are more concerned with the cost of living and the housing crisis tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭jackboy

There is a direct link between these dodgy politicians and the housing crises. These dodgy politicians will need to be ruthlessly rooted out before any attempt can be made to improve the housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It does seem like there isnt much to the site but they have done a lot of investigative journalism in the last couple of years. Junior Ministers Damien English and Robert Troy resigned because of stories they uncovered. The site seems to be a biased plaything for a twat with a vengeance but it also does appear that it is producing some good quality investigative journalism. Robert Troy and Damien English didnt resign for no reason. That being said, said twat is extremely untrustworthy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement