Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who’s bringing the horse - no - EV to France?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just get the breathalysers on Amazon… delivered to your door, I wouldn't even bother with going to Halfords…

(they also sell all the stuff you'll need on the Ferry, but at Ferry prices!!)

Do the VW lights re-level themselves knowing that they are in a LHD country like they do in a Tesla? if not you might need those deflector stickers..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

On the bulbs thing, I carry spare bulbs for my Dad's Nissan Pulsar in the frunk. My guess is that a random Gendarme is not going to know the difference. It's a pack of car bulbs isn't it?

Re charging, if you have at campsite you should be grand. And ChargeMap is good (if pricey), most villages of a size have a few 22kW chargers in the public car parks. Chargemap works with these, but its always cheaper to use the weblink on the charger itself and pay directly, so can be worth the extra 3 mins of fiddling on phone as you walk away rather than tapping the ChargeMap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Various EU countries have their own little differences. In Germany, for example, you are required to carry an approved (DIN 13164:2022) first aid kit and if your driving licence states that you need glasses you are required to have spare pair in the car. The first aid kit actually is required to have minimum of two face masks now (I didn't know that) and, in general, the contents will have to be up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've been looking at the Freshmile map and there seems to be a good range across France (and Europe generally) of chargers that will do their 30c + 30c rate, even on chargers up to 475kW. Except Ionity of course. Random one below near Lyon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ionity seem to also have filled in the blanks around the Cherbourg peninsula

Handy if you're looking for a charge on the way to the ferry and not sure you'll make the distance

Speaking of Tesla, I was looking at the option to pay via Chargemap pass. I thought it meant you didn't need the Tesla app, but you still need the app and a Tesla account

It just means they'll bill you via Chargemap instead of your card directly, which seems utterly pointless

Maybe with the V4 superchargers having RFID readers it'll be different, but it looks like they'll also have debit card readers so the whole RFID card becomes pointless unless you're on some subscription deal

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah I didn't want to sign up for any very long drives on my first outing. If this year goes well then we'll probably do something longer next year

The misso went to France a bunch of times when she was young and wasn't too happy about doing 130 on the motorways. I've been sworn to be on good behaviour as a result, so I'll have to take it handy 😂

The granny lead with adaptor would definitely be the last of the last resorts

I think the cabin we rented from Eurocamps has seperate parking anyway, so we wouldn't be able to stealthily charge at night

I'll probably bring it this year just to be safe, the way my luck works is that if I prepare for something going wrong then it'll definitely not happen. The unused snow shovel I bought years ago is evidence of this 😁

Did you rent from one of the EV specific companies? I'd be tempted to rent but my issue with the likes of Hertz is you can book one car but you're at the mercy of what's there on the day

On the flip side the likes of UFO drive are shockingly expensive in comparison

no we booked with sixt. It says E2008. Hopefully that’s what we will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd defo bring the granny. Used it twice abroad last year. Once in a shopping centre and also while at our holiday destination where we got the car from 15% back up to 95% allowing us to easily reach a HPC on the return journey. The granny charger is your get out of jail free card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

On my trip to france I had hi vis vests in the door pockets triangle set and tyre plug kit in the frunk (same as in Ireland), no breathalyser (see infro from RAC below). I did bring the granny charger with me as I charged the car couple of times at the the house. In the end it was easier tp charge at the local lidl via chargemap or tesla charges.

Interesting, I guess I must have read an outdated website. I think it was Irish Ferries

Did you use an adapter or did you get a Schuko plug granny lead?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I brought my granny charger with me, and bought the Schuko adaptor for it when I did my road trip to Lithuania and never used it once…. Waste of space with the benefit of hindsight!! But would I bring it again if doing the same trip? Probably…. It’s a nice last resort option that you hopefully will never need…

from Cherbourg to Kiel and back I only DC charged (superchargers), and in Lithuania I used a mix of Ionity (1st & last days en route to port), and free local DC chargers and paid for AC chargers at the local shopping centre… (the free chargers were always fun so the early bird caught the worm etc….…)

This was about 6am one morning!!

You’re in an ID.4 right?

Just take on a big charge (90+%) at your last fast charging stop before getting to the camp site, and then just take on any opportunistic local charges you can get every few days…. But if you land at a campsite with 80+% that’s going to be good for the guts of 300km right?

Chances are there’s loads of local charging options close by anyway…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

The plug on the Tesla granny lead can be swapped out for a Schuko plug so safe enough there. But because our holiday host gave us a lightweight extension reel to reach a socket, I restricted charging to 6A anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ABRP (A better route planner) is very good for planning trips in advance and will set up charging stops for you based on what way you want to charge (lots of short stops, long stops etc.). Also will do stops based on preferred chargers. You can then send the whole thing to Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Just a heads up, Eurocamp specifically restrict EV charging from their mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We registered with Chargemap last year and found it great to use. Used both it an ABRP to plan routes and they both threw out the same charging locations and predicted the charge % to within approx 1% of each other.

Bit different this year. Last year we went from Cherbourg to Carnac in an id4 and charged once in Rennes on the way down and at a service station near Mont Saint Michel on the way back, interspersed with one charge on Carnac seafront midway through the trip. This year we're going to La Palmyre so two charges required each way. Still charging in Rennes and then the second charge tbd. Looking forward to it though. It was so easy last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

ELectra fast chargers àre great. Regularly 150kw ++, reasonable rate of 49c per kwh and you can prebook spot.

Love the one in Rennes, beside massive shopping centre with lego store and McDonald's playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yep, that's the one we used last year. Really good set-up and the shopping centre was class. We could easily have spent the whole day there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

I noticed the Tesla chargers in Rennes Alma are now open to non Tesla's also so 14 fast chargers in total now. Will stop here on the way down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I used a good 13A adapter. Tesla schuko adapter is sausy money compared to a standard adapter. It didn't heat up when charging. I figured charging at lidl on a 60kW DC charger for smth like 25c/kWh using chargemap card was easier than trying to figure out how much do i owe for electricity to the owners of the rental:)

PS I see that lidl prices have gone up since last September. Up to 43c now.

Ha, that's funny because I asked them a couple of years ago and they said it should be fine (after I said it's the same as an electric kettle)

They've obviously cropped on since then, too many EV drivers getting free electricity 😂

In fairness, I could see the concern with running a granny lead overnight through some Dealz quality travel adapter which is just meant for charging phones

I might not need any DC charging since I'm within range of the campsite and they have AC charging onsite

There's a Lidl on the way in Dol-de-Bretagne which has a HPC so I might top up while stocking up on food and wine

I might not bother bringing the granny lead, finding a quality adapter doesn't seem worth the expense. Plus France really went all in on AC chargers, so it looks like I'm spoiled for choice

Hopefully I'm not jinxing it 😅

the charger on our small site was blown in a thunderstorm last year. Still never considered granny charger. Plenty of options even in middle of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sounds like you're going to the same spot we went to last year (and are going back this august). Domain des ormes?

That lidl in dol de bretagne is literally 10 mins from the site if so, and it can be busy enough to get the DC charger. They didnt have the AC chargers at the campsite last year so I only had the DC there but it was fine.

Yep, same place

Looks like they've two banks of 27kW AC chargers now, from some company called E-flux

They seem to work with Chargemap and Plugsurfing, so we'll see how it goes. Prices are a bit steep, 47c/kWh 😭

I remember a few years ago I contacted the resort directly and they said they had a charger. I think it's supposed to be for their own cars but they let guests use it if it was free

I guess it got too popular so they had to get some public chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Just one point on use of 'Granny cables', and it probably applies anywhere, but just bear in mind that if you're on the continent, older wiring often has almost the same sockets as modern wiring, but it can be limited to <10amps and may not be earthed. You'll typically only ever encounter this in old buildings, but you can still run into it in ancient Gîtes and so on.

I'm just aware of one family who managed to blow the fuses in an old house and had all sorts of chaos trying to find replacements on a Sunday…

The vast majority of wiring is modern, but some older houses can be ticking away with 1940s wiring and fuses rather than breakers.

Modern continental plugs/sockets are this the types below (except Denmark, Italy and Switzerland). There are two variants - one is French/Belgian origin and also used in Poland and a few places and the other, far more common version in most countries, is German (Siemens origin) known as 'Schuko'

Both are rated at 16amps.

Modern French sockets will handle up to 16 amps without any issues. They're more capable of EV charging than Irish 3-pin plugs.

There's also a more recent French design that has a flat face, which pushes back in as you insert the plug. These are exactly the same, just it's a more decorative design / doesn't gather dust etc.

However, if you encounter older type sockets, which are usually flat and have no earth pin / earth clips, these are typically not suitable for 'Granny Charger' use and can just trip out / blow fuses or even overheat quite easily. They're typically indicative of pre 1960s wiring. Much like old Irish wiring, they're often also only protected by a fuse and won't necessarily have had RCDs retrofitted.

Modern plugs will often fit these old sockets, but they're not safe to use with high sustained loads, and they're usually not earthed

(WikiCommons Image)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They have multiple staff only chargers as most of the resort cars are Kangoo ZEs. Perfect for that use case! But there are signs in every cabin to not charge your ev, as well as signs in the welcome centre. To be fair, when I used the AC and the oven at the same time the cabin electricity would trip so I guess there's a max of 20a or so available and they don't know that EVs can charge at 6a!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Stayed there myself last year, great site and plenty of charging options in the general area. There are the DC chargers in Lidl in Dol de Bretagne as has already been mentioned, they also have 22KW AC there. Combourg also has DC charging if I remember correctly (campsite site probably equal distance between both towns, when exiting site go left for Combourg and right for Dol). There is a V2 Tesla Super Charger site at St. Michel (not open to all EV's), a new V3 Supercharger site has opened in Dinan (open to all EV's) which is probably a 20min drive away, would recommend a couple of hours in Dinan for a visit anyway. If travelling to D-Day sites, Ionity site on the way / return.

Number one tip, watch out for the speed camera on the road just as you leave the campsite.

Advertisement