Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who’s bringing the horse - no - EV to France?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah could very well be that alright. They say it's "soon in the rest of Europe" so perhaps it'll come with time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Am I correct in saying that you mostly don’t need to use your own charging cable that comes with the car? I’ve an MGZS and I believe the cable that comes with it is for slow charging only. So I’m presuming that all faster charging docs have their own cables for you to connect to car?

Also somebody mentioned Tesla chargers, I thought they were only for Teslas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's correct - only untethered slow chargers (up to 7kW AC) use your own cable. All fast chargers - which are all DC - and most AC chargers over 7kW use a tethered cable. 'Tethered' meaning that the cable is permanently attached to the charger.

But I will caution you and say - don't do what my father-in-law did and head off on a road-trip and assume that he wouldn't need his standard charging cable! Big mistake!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Part 1. yes, DC (fast charging) the cable and plug will always be connected to the charger, but I would suggest still bringing your own Type 2 AC cable for if/when you find slow destination chargers. Some AC (slow) chargers do also have a cable attached to them, like the older ESB 50kW 'Triple Head' units, or Tesla 'Destination' Chargers, but most would require you to use your own Type 2 cable.

Part 2. In some countries in Europe some of the Tesla Supercharger network is open to non Tesla cars, you need to get the Tesla app and set up your account. but you must set up the account in the country you wish to use the superchargers, as it's still on a trial and only open to users within that country (though you can get around this by setting up your account in the country you want (like France)). You can find a map showing all the opened superchargers linked below. just filter for Superchargers open to non Tesla's. The trial has not been extended to Ireland (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

I left it too late to order a Chargemap card for our trip to France. But I do have a Maingau card I ordered a couple of years ago after it was suggested on here as having better rates (at the time).

I've never actually used the card but does anyone know if it should work in France in the same way as the Chargemap card?

I have an Ionity account set up and will have a go a setting up a Supercharger account also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

We are doing our second trip to France in our ID4, well over 2000km return to Cherbourg. After our experiences last year we will use Ionity all the time except for a spell in Brittany which is an ev charger desert and we will be forced to use others. If you set up a Tesla account in Ireland you won't be able to use the chargers in France unless your car is a Tesla, this is because Tesla don't allow open charging in Ireland yet. Not sure if you can set up your account in France with an Irish reg car, I'd find that out before you go. We also use chargemap but only for when we can't use Ionity.

Charging stations are busiest at lunchtimes and you can face a queue of up to 5 cars ahead of you at busy stops but otherwise there's not too much of a wait. I'd advise spending a little time planning your routemap before you go. There's a good chance if your camping there will be access to a free slow charger on site.

Not sure if you can set up your account in France with an Irish reg car

You can. Plenty on here have done it. I believe you just need to use a French address maybe, and use a Revolut type of payment method.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Speaking of the ID4 I just spent 2 weeks in Brittany/Normandy and part of the North Vendee so you might say a good bit of driving. 2 weeks and I saw ONE ID4 in all that time. Frankly didn't see very many EVs, google tells me France is awash with them but at home I see 10 times more of them during any given day. Most I saw one day was a load of them(Teslas) on the back of a delivery truck heading south from the Cherbourg region.

As a PHEV owner I did charge at the second campsite at the mobile home. First site had a sign saying you're not allowed, second didn't so plugged in. Running granny cable at 10amps without issue. Guy across from me with a full EV said "I don't trust the electricty in the mobile" so paid for his 20 metres away. Eurocamp by the way. The cable I posted previously as an adapter worked without issue but ensured it was inside the mobile because there were a few thunderstorms.

One weird public charging site at a shopping centre in Rennes(Alma) had a load of AC/DC chargers with a sign saying "30 mins max stay" which seemed rather odd seeing as it was 7.1kw of a unit.

I did notice some Intermarche(Supermarkets) still offer free charging but unsure if you need a storecard for it. I did notice the motorway signage in France now has e-charge symbols on them telling you which town or Aire(services) had a station. I'd much prefer using the cars Nav but handy if you get stuck.

For those with a newer Hyundai if you open the vehicle settings, click on Navigation and find Alerts you might see Alerts greyed out. When you get to UK and France(maybe others) it becomes available. It is a speed camera warning that you can toggle off. Back if Ireland now, it is back greyed out. In France you, by LAW, must turn that off. It beeps when the speed camera zone starts, and a different beep when you leave it. IF I had it turned on, then I think it would have been 100% accurate. One other issue for those with camera based navigation/speed aids for speed is that, my Hyundai, picked up the speeds of the motorway exit lanes dropping from 130/110 to 90/70 and then the car telling me to slow down even though I'm not exiting. If you have smart cruise control it may force you to slow down when the limit didn't drop. Maybe just a Hyundai camera thing but was mildly annoying.

One weird public charging site at a shopping centre in Rennes(Alma) had a load of AC/DC chargers with a sign saying "30 mins max stay" which seemed rather odd seeing as it was 7.1kw of a unit.

I checked that out online as that's really unusual.

The chargers are 22kW each and there are 8 of them, but at a max of 30mins you could only get 11kWh at best. If your vehicle is limited to 7.4kW then you'd obviously fare even worse. And even odder is fact that those same chargers also have 3kW "domestic" sockets attached... Like in this day-in-age...?

Anyway there is a fast charger in the car-park just over from the Alma - 250kW and then a Tesla Supercharger further over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not sure what one he is referring to, but there is an Electra station in that Novotel. Used it on Wednesday! Got 200kw+ in my Ioniq 5. 4 chargers and I was only one there. Cheap enough too, 0.49 iirc

Post edited by crisco10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Getting the taxi back to Charles De Gaulle airport I spotted a Total motorway service station with around twelve 300kW chargers

They looked like dual plug deltas so can charge two cars at once at 150kW each

Across the motorway there's another dozen chargers at the opposite service station (think Castlebellingham but not sh!t)

I think this is the location, but Plugshare needs an update:

It was like looking at EV charging nirvana, don't see how anyone could have issues getting around France in an EV

EDIT: Found the location on Chargefinder (never heard of it before)

14 DC chargers per service station, up to 300kW each

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Interesting, must be brand new too. Pricing is a bit all over the place...

It must be 55c for lower charging rates. Try work that out as you drive up!

Bit of an interesting price structure alright, I only spotted a 300kW sign on one charger but they probably have different speeds on other chargers

It definitely looked pretty shiny and new

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Drove about 700km across northern Spain & south of France in last couple of days. Relied solely on Tesla superchargers and has been fine. The good weather has a great impact on the range!

Brilliant. I reckon that's the one I'm going to use on the way to Carnac next Saturday and also use the opportunity to drop into the Carrefour to pick up some supplies at the same time

I found it while using an app called IZIVIA, which is EDF's (France's ESB) charger platform. The rates at that site are 49.2c/kWh and 1EUR per charging session, if that's any good to you.

Cool thanks very much.

I have a Chargemap card and also my VW one so plenty of options but will check that out as well.

Do the chargers in France work easily? I have a Chargemap card. Do I just literally plug in , tap the card at the charge point and it works away?

Any tips or things I should be wary of , like maybe some charge points that are more complicated etc? It’s my first time charging in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I believe you need to make sure to tap off to end charge with the chargemap card but I’ll be new to it also.

Anybody drive to Rosslare and charge somewhere close? There seems to be no more then 3/4 50kw chargers in or around the Wexford town region.

I was thinking of driving through Gorey to use the IONITY chargers (I believe they are the fastest?!) and then maybe topping up a bit more if I wanted (or if they were free) in one of the slower ones near Rosslare.

Anybody with any suggestions , they would be much appreciated.

Top up as much as you can in Ionity, they are fast (though only expect headline speeds if arriving at a low SoC%),

then maybe if you have time stop in here for lunch… about 6/7 Tesla Destination chargers (Type 2 11kW), and 3 of them are for any Type 2 car (the other 4 are Tesla only). Get there in enough time and have a nice big lunch/breakfast… and take on as much as you can. You don’t even need to use your own charging cable…

Kelly's Resort Hotel

Thanks , to use the Tesla ones, do I need to setup a Tesla account? I’ve an MG, I assume I can use the slow chargers like you said.

I have Esb, IONITY and Chargemap accounts.

Tesla Destination Chargers are plug and charge.. nothing needed. Red sign is Tesla only and grey sign is any Type 2 EV

Tap the card, then plug in and it starts immediately. Far superior to EasyGo for example which I've never liked.

I tried the Chargemap up in Decathlon in Ballymun the day I got it and it's great. Seamless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

>It was like looking at EV charging nirvana, don't see how anyone could have issues getting around France in an EV

Its a rapidly changing situation. The station above looks like it has only just gone into operation. On my drive across the entire width of France at christmas, and back, most rest stops (i.e. the ones with shop and petrol station) were still having their chargers installed, or in one place in Alsace, there was a couple of chargers by the station and a large bank of them being installed.

So yea, if all those are switched on and properly connected and work with your specific chargecard or you get lucky that mobile reception works to use a random app and they remain un-broke then its looking good.

As for the station above at Aire Bussy, that seems to be the tarif if using their app. I looked up enBw (allegedy works at 400,000 charging points in europe) and they say its 50c per min through their card. Its all a bit over the place but so long as the card unlocks the power and the charging station isnt strangely incompatible with your specific car and model, sure who cares about the price. Getting stuck in France is not a great prospect.

Yeah there's definitely been a big increase in the number of chargers available. I remember looking at northern France last summer and there were some significant enough gaps without any decent hubs

Now between Ionity expansion, Tesla opening up some Superchargers and other players building up their network the situation has improved dramatically

I think the pace of the rollout is what is most amazing. You ask any charging provider in Ireland about at 14 car hub and you get a lot of shrugs about grid connections and planning permission. Doesn't seem to be any problems over on the continent with that

I think the hub I spotted is literally brand new, it's counterpart across the motorway (another 14 chargers) doesn't look to have opened yet

Also I was wrong, they're using Alpitronic chargers, not Delta ones

Prices don't seem too bad, 50c/kWh according to the Total app, with an extra 20c/min on top after 45 mins. Certainly makes Ecars look expensive by comparison, for a far worse experience (even accounting for cheaper electricity in France)

I'm generally not terribly fussed about the cost of public charging because it's only an occasional thing for me, but it is nice when I'm not getting fleeced, and when I can say it's cheaper than diesel 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

Left Cherbourg this morning with 76%, arrived @ Mont St Michel Supercharger with 33%. Not bad for 4 adults , full boot and frunk and cargo box on tow hitch Average consumption of 184 Wh/km on a mix of 90/110/130 roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Do you still need to put stickers on your lights to stop blinding oncoming traffic when traveling through countries that drive on the wrong side of the road? Or is that day gone?

Advertisement