Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who’s bringing the horse - no - EV to France?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Full MG car, LR, frunk, roofbox, 2 adults , 3 kids. 130km drive to gorey had car at 61%, average speed 100km.

Stopped at IONITY gorey, but could only fill to 90% for some reason. Had 77% when I got to boat in Rosslare.

Drove from Cherbourg for 166kms (average speed 95km) circa 35km per 10%. Charged using Chargemap charger to 90%. Managed to get rest of my 300km distance with 20km left on the dial. I did go 120km a small bit as I was confident I could make it to destination. What I noticed is whenever I got a bit nervous , if I lowered speed to 90km the it could had a significant affect on the readings.

With about 50km to go, it said I had 66kms and I slowed down. I managed to get that up by 10 and finish up with 26Km to spare by Just reducing speed to 85-90.

So far, charging is easy as pie. We were reading the app wrong and thought all chargers were all full most of the time, it was the opposite, most were free!! Won’t be nervous going home or taking the car here in future.

Can I ask, what’s the story with when the charging gets to 90% even at fast chargers the charge speed drops dramatically and it’s like it doesn’t want to charge between 90-100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,961 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Charging speed slows down as the battery fills up. Above 80% the charging speed is so slow that it's generally quicker to go to the next charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Sorry , do you mean literally move to another charger in the dock or to drive it to a lower percentage and recharge later?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And to add to above, if you need to make multiple charging stops on a journey, you ideally want to be pulling into the charger at a low SoC% (below 20%) to get the fastest charging speeds, so that might mean leaving that charger when only at 50%-60%, so as to arrive at the next charger again at a low SoC% for fastest charging speeds again…. Then maybe take on the big charge to 90% if you want towards the end of the journey to keep you going for a few days at your destination.

If you leave a charger and arrive at the next charger at anything above 10%~20%, you’ve just wasted time at the previous charger charging at a much slower rate…

This is where the Tesla nav system excels.. I did 1,300km each way through France, Belgium, Holland & Germany last summer and most of the charging stops were only ~15 minutes, and I arrived at around 10% every time!! Leaving each one at between 60%-65%, just as charging speeds started dipping below 100kW..

ABRP will do similar for you if you have a good gander through it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,961 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Basically what Andy said, the fastest way to travel is to belt it and do lots of shorter (10-20 mins) charging stops

Of course this doesn't suit everyone, so just do what you feel comfortable with. I can definitely understand wanting to take it easy when on unfamiliar territory and having a roof box tanking your aerodynamics

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That's my plan anyway. First time driving long range with a roof box so will be testing multiple scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

We drove just over 550km last weekend from Cherbourg in a fully loaded e-Niro with roofbox. We certainly didn't take it handy - driving at or just above the limit most of the way. We averaged 19.5kWh/100km for the motorway part. The total journey ended up being 19.1kWK/100km as the last 160km were off the motorway.

Our first charge stop on the way was at the same Novotel in Rennes next to the Carrefour that you mentioned earlier (just beware there's a Novotel in the city centre also). We arrived here a good few percent ahead of what ABRP predicted while using 200kg as our extra weight in the app. Think we had 22% battery remaining. The charger itself has a QR code which you can scan that opens their website. You then add your payment details, initiate the charging and plug in. Definitely recommend stopping here, and the supermarket across the way is like a big Tesco plus it has covered benches outside for eating.

So if you're going to Carnac you should be able to charge up far more than you need while you're in the shop and eating a quick bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

How do you get ABRP to put you in Rosslare Cherbourg ferry? It keeps sending me via uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

You need to zoom into just outside Dublin Port. You should see a dublin-Cherbourg route, just click on it to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

would you not just set the starting point as Cherbourg and plan the France section as a separate journey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Depends on the car. The manual should tell you. Do you have a Tesla, I understand they have a FLAT beam using LED. I have a Tucson and my LEDs are a Flat beam and the manual specifically says I do NOT have to do anything driving in a country on the other side of the road. Tucson headlights are also quite high so I did dip them(using the button 0,1,2,3) down to 3. I'm on holidays, I didn't drive in the dark but anyway.

Don't forget about the French law about speed camera detection now, if your car can do it you must deactivate it. My Tucson has it but could only be deactivated oddly enough WHEN I got to france. It is greyed out in Ireland and as soon as I got to Roscoff it was available to work with. Did I turn it off..............well I had to test it first and I confirm it is very very accurate as France is filled with static speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Some of the ferry routes aren't planned into the route-planning engines, especially if it's an alternating day service rather than multiple sailings per day. So you'll have to do what @munchkin_utd said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Funnily the Rosslare-Cherbourg one does work, its clunky to add the intermediate point but it works. The timing and crossing time is wrong but if you are only looking to work out the range and charging over the journey then probably is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah I drive a Tesla, don't think I have speed camera detection

Does this mean the likes of Waze are illegal in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭sh81722

Tesla, at least the late 2020-> Model 3 variety definitely is not flat but very heavily focussed on left. Will check it out to see if it adjusts itself in France and if not will need to fix the blinding with some electrical tape or similar. Should be a simple enough masking job against some random wall.

Full charge of MGZs in a slow charger using Izivia was 14.20 for 71kw

Everyone uses Waze in France and they definitely use the traffic-cam option too. You'd only be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you were not to use the technology at hand to understand how the speed-limit is managed on the current stretch of road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have a 2020 Model 3 with the old headlights (newer ones are Matrix), and the lights auto adjusted themselves when I landed in France...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We did 3,500km in France last summer over 3 weeks in an ID4. We always used the VW native navigation which has specific hooks for automatically finding Ionity which we exclusively used on the main motorways and never had issues. In smaller towns, we used the 22kw chargers which are everywhere and handy for overnights. We also used the granny charger at a few Airbnbs.

€14.20, it was charging for about 13 hours. Nobody else seems to use the chargers in my campsite.

Sorry what exactly Does this mean?

I haven’t a breeze about what people are talking about with headlights. I drive an MG, do I need to change some setting for night driving? (Mind you, I’ve rarely driven in France in the dark

Well the trip down from Cherbourg to Carnac was an absolute breeze. Left the ferry with 94% charge and got to the Novotel at Rennes with about 24% left. I was the only car there so plugged in using Chargemap and we stroller over to the shopping centre and bought some groceries. The car was fully charged within about 50mins.

Went back to the car and all the other chargers were taken with another two cars just arriving to plug in!!

Anyway, got to Carnac with 60% left. There's a few chargers around here so there will be no issue charging before we leave.

The charging rate was very reasonable in Rennes. 60.54kWh cost €30.87

My chargemap card hasn’t arrived 😢

Ah sh1t, when are you due to head?

Demain. Hopefully it will arrive in the morning. I ordered on June 17 which is a good while ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Snazzy, has this been removed in the newer model?

• Advertisement

Well I’m in France. Chargemap card ordered two weeks ago never arrived. We have no cards. Just realised yesterday we need one for wecharge as well. Tesla app defaulting to Irish address so it looks like Ionity or nothing.

Advertisement