Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There wont be a cow milked in multiple counties in ireland tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MacDanger

NY one game away from the group stages of Sam Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

That’s embarrassing, the Leitrim lads might as well emigrate and stay over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I know nothing about the New York players. Not much between Sligo and Leitrim in the League. New York might give Sligo a good game.

After watching that i dont think sligo will be backable. Andy moran should walk now. A shocking display of wasteful shooting. Typical mayo man bottling it.

• Advertisement

Which is a clear indication that our provincial championships are dead. They are just broken beyond redemption at this stage.

The best teams in the country should be playing the the All ireland.

Yet we could have meath kildare laois cavan cork and a few more playing tailteann simply because they are in a much tougher provincial. They are all far better than NY.

End this farce after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Arguably, at least the teams actually in Ireland should be playing in the All Ireland.

However, I see little chance of NY beating Sligo unless they bring baseball bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Other than Cavan, none of those are playing in a tougher province. NY do however happen to have a particularly favourable draw

Ok. They are playing in provinces which are more competitvie. Kildare, meath, cork, laois, cavan etc ewpuld beat leitrim and ny handy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Except Laois got beaten only a few weeks ago by Leitrim in Division 4😅

I don't see why it really matters tbh. If the teams you mention were good enough they'd qualify by league position in the first place. If you take away the only carrot the provincial championships have remaining in giving both finalists a guaranteed spot in the AI group stages then you're as well to scrap them (which I don't necessarily disagree with). But the GAA aren't going to do that as the Ulster Championship in particular is rather lucrative to them.

Besides, having watched the Tailteann cup last year it's actually a decent competition from knock out stages onward. So if the teams you mentioned before are better then one of them will win it and guarantee themselves a group place in the race for Sam for 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Is it Christmas or Easter lads as i'm just after waking up to the Fairytale of New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has anyone come in with the split New York in two joke yet?

I know leitrim were having a decent season but when I saw the team sheets I knew they had a right chance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭MattressRick

And Galway Mayo or Roscommon would in all likelihood beat those counties you just mentioned. Connacht has more division 1 teams than Munster and Leinster.

Biggest issue is the lopsided nature of the draw. But then again if Connacht was seeded there'd be turkey shoots in every match. The way it's drawn this year, teams on an even level are meeting each other before the Connacht final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's a day old, and we've already got more shocks in the football than we'll get across the entire hurling championship

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The chance of beating Leitrim has been coming a while now, last time round they went to ET.

I don't know the details but it looks like NY have changed their structures.

Last year they came to Ireland for a TC match, so it means that all their players have proper immigration status.

So I assume they are building teams around guys that are available long term rather than just getting whatever good guys happen to be available in any given year.

I also read that one guy is commuting from Boston, which is odd because NY and Boston are in two different GAA "counties", Boston being part of the North East Division of the North American county board, and New York being the New York county board.

So they are looking in other territories for players.

But at the end of the day all it will mean is that they will give Leitrim or Sligo depending on which one is worse a run for their money every few years.

But they won't be beating Sligo in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

Oh absolutely. He should have taken himself off at half time.

Andy Moran can't be accused of bottling anything on the field of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

On league form this year yes but only for people with short memories. Carlow are established at McDonagh level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Some scenes... New York showed there is still life in the provincial championships.

Hopefully the live Mayo v Roscommon game is a good contest this afternoon but i fear the awful weather forecast will ruin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Some people think provincial championships are devalued as 8 teams have already qualified. A counter argument is that while those already qualified might already have both eyes on the group stage, those who need provincial success might have the extra impetus for more shocks. Cavan must beat Armagh. Down must beat Donegal. Fermanagh must beat Derry. Clare and/or Limerick must beat Cork. It is an interesting dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Why are cork such strong favourites against Clare? I know they were relegated but a few of their league games were close, including Dublin at croke park where we snatched the win. Clare looked solid until the 50th minute of that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

None of these counties, with the possible exception of Cavan in the Covid Championship, have done ANYTHING to deserve being out of the bottom tier. Population alone doesn't place you in the top Division, if it did sure why not place London and NY in it.

These counties are a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Where will the New York v Sligo match be played?

Sligo I'd imagine.

The logistics of getting Sligo to NY would be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

New York and London get one guaranteed home game every year, and the flipside of that arrangement is any subsequent ties are away. So it'll be in Sligo.

Actually yea, nevermind logistics, that's the real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Markievicz Park for the Semi Final. I wonder who would have got home advantage if Leitrim had won?

https://www.gaa.ie/football/connacht-gaa-football-senior-championship/fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd say a couple of awkward conversations were had in and around McLean Avenue last night, between a few of the LM officials and their big NY backers as to where they are going, and where the improvement is for their 'support' of the board and Andy's backroom team. For my sins, I've seen them a few times in recent weeks, and they are certainty no better than they were few years ago. I know numbers are tight, but the lack of preperation, S&C, and even knowledge in tactics and team selection are very evident to me anyway. NY are a wholehearted but a poor side, and given the prep work they had available to them should be beaten by any group that has any decent work done.

Andy will have all the excuses in the world available to him, and his Media friends will give him a pass, but it's fvckin embarrassing to be out of your depth in the lower reaches of Division 4 and out thought by the exiles.

Huge kick in the balls to the well intentioned and hardworking Geals involved in the games in Leitrim.

Advertisement