Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Sam Maguire, not Tailteann Cup, is Keith Beirne's main target for Leitrim in 2023

“We want to be in the Sam Maguire, “We want to play at the top level, we want to get better and for us to get better we need a Connacht Final appearance, lads deserve that day out for all the work they’ve put in - Connacht Finals don’t come around too often.

“So to say we’d prefer to go to the Tailteann is just a silly excuse, we want to get into the Sam Maguire - we wanted to be seeded first or second and hopefully bring a crowd of ten or 12,000 in Carrick on Shannon in the All Ireland group stages and get a win.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Dublin in the last two years were a kick of a ball from AI finals. Last year they were beaten in the semi final by a worldie free kick with the last kick of the ball, the year before they drew a semi final due to a retaken free, which they lost in extra time.

While they have certainly returned to rest of the pack from their dominant heights, their demise has been greatly exaggerated (esp among Dublin fans themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I think their success in the last decade has made the Dublin fans adopt the classic Kerry "yerra-ism" playing themselves down. They lost 1 game of 7 by a point with the last kick of the game in Derry's home ground before beating them by 8 points in the final, yet they apparently "barely" got out of Division 2 and are worried ahead of the championship.

There's a particular Dublin poster who I'm convinced must be a very dedicated spoof with the stuff they post that's insulting to people's intelligence. Dublin may have lost one Leinster game in nearly 20 years now but before they play Wexford/Carlow/Wicklow in a Leinster first round they'll be posting "seriously worried about this game, I honestly can't see us getting out with a win unless we're at our best".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I only wish my county's chances were as bad as Dublins. We'd kill for their players and form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Not a big believer in the margin proving how close team A is to team B. I take a slightly different view of it. I think the one point win might as well be a drubbing because who actually comes out on top is significant. Dublin almost never lost a close game in their pomp. It wasn't luck that they won a bunch of games by a point and it wasn't just the kick of a ball. They outfought everyone when it mattered and their will to win was strongest. That's turned it on it's head now. They keep running into teams who just take it away from them when it matters. Mayo stared them down in a tight game in 2021, Kerry did the same in 2022 and, most recently, Derry did the same thing in the league proper a few weeks ago. Admittedly it was a league game but Dublin were **** about trying to hold onto a draw while Derry went for it. It was striking because it was so un-Dublinlike.

I don't know. I'd like to think that... whatever it is, is still there but the evidence (watching the majority of their games) would convince you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In case anyone is interested the first game of the championship is about to throw in.

Armagh v Antrim, Ulster preliminary round.

BBC NI 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

FT Armagh 0-20 Antrim 1-8. Very routine win for the home side, I don't think their next opposition Cavan will know anymore than they didn't already after watching that match.

Earlier today. FT London 0-12 Sligo 2-20. Pat Spillane junior named man of the match with 1-4. Sligo now play Leitrim or New York in the Connacht semi final, that match is on at 11pm Irish time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What happened to the TV coverage of Armagh v Antrim? Seems like something weird occurred as it wasn't on BBCNI on VM (station 109) despite the EPG stating it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It wasn't for everyone, that's the point of my post. When I clicked onto VM 109 (which is BBC2NI) it said 'GAA live' on the programme description, but the only sport was the soccer match taking place during the HM Slade prison escape (Porridge film).

It's not a big deal or anything, but would like to know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Still feels so odd having the Championship this early

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭vid36

Level in the Big Apple. What happens if New York get to the Connacht final?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I'd say the GAA have no more an idea than you. Tend to figure these things out after they happen.

New York leading 0-7 to 0-6 at half time. Andy Moran's Leitrim team last score was in the 20th minute of the match and have have only scored twice from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They are in the tailteann Cup this year so they will be getting a few trips over already I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looks like Golderickand his officials aren't gonna let that happen. Benefit going to the away side in any tight calls, including what looked like a point near the end.

There will be no awkward moments on the plane home it seems.

NY have grown into it, theor handling has actually been good, and they are winning many of the 50/50 contests. If they can stick the pace, this could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Join the TC at the quarter final stage if they don't reach the Connacht final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Didn't realise that, thought they were just out once they lost 👍

Its exciting, great chance of an upset.

level 0-11 each 62 minutes played.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Won't be a cow milked in county new york

• Registered Users Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes those plucky upstarts from a city of 8 million may be about to shock a county of 30,000...

Level in injury time.

Leitrim 1 up .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If it's a draw do Leitrim have to spin over there again next weekend?

Level in injury time.

• Advertisement

FT New York 0-13 Leitrim 0-13. Extra time to be played.

Advertisement