Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellie Harrington. Was she hung out to dry or did she hang herself out to dry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Who is interfering with her freedom of thought and expression? All the guy did was ask her a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Surely it's up to you to now boycott Spar for the rest of your life to teach them a lesson for not cancelling her?

I don't agree with punishing athletes or anyone for political opinions.

Many people would share my view. Surprised you're only figuring this out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Your posts are terrible as usual

How come you haven't questioned the transphobic sports journalist???? His tweets were disgraceful. And his statement was awful. But you don't hammer him.

Why are you so harsh and bitter towards kellie?

Can't you just say, they both have said silly things on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Apparently Ireland is so full of transphobic racists that even some anti-racists are transphobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's difficult to take your posts any way seriously when you just make stuff up

• Advertisement

His comments are over a decade old and date from when he was a teenager.

This idea that a couple of facetious, bad taste tweets from when he was still in secondary school makes him a unreliable journalist is a silly, desperate attempt to muddy the water.

Kellie Harrington’s tweet is from October last year and when she was asked about it she got all huffy and evasive about it. This is when she was supposed to be fulfilling a role as a community ambassador for Spar.

All that being said I don’t think she should be removed from her position in Spar or anything like that. I think she learned, or needed to learn at least, a valuable lesson on thinking before you tweet. Or maybe a lesson on credulity when it comes to sharing stories from GB News, which is not a reliable news source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

If she was middle class, the left would have been more critical of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

There are layers of issues with this situation.

The first is we can't talk openly about certain topics, like whether or not immigrants commit more crime, there's mixed research on it but in some cases it seems to be so:

Obviously even if there is a positive relationship in Europe, we should figure out why before just chucking immigrants under the bus. But figuring out why requires us to be allowed to talk about it (in a respectful way). I think repressing people's need to talk about such things lead to Trump and Brexit because it comes out a different way.

Social media (Twitter included) is a place where people rarely talk facts and stats, Kelly certainly didn't she just spat venom and that's on her. As a public figure she should answer the question somewhere (she has now, but it doesn't preclude her from consequence).

On the flip side, let's be honest the interviewer wasn't really coming from a place of moral truth, he wanted to ride the waves of the above issues to get a few clicks. We need better people in the media who are willing to have serious discussions not just inflame.

Seeing as it's a boxing thread, would the interviewer last a round with Kellie?

What's his reach like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd say he has reach. And he has a long neck, so maybe he has some head movement. Probably moves like newborn giraffe though. Skinny legs = no power. I'd say he'd turn away from Kellie within a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

Which she declined to answer. When that wasn't good enough, he delivered his own little eulogy on immigration and refused to move on.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, only public figures, role models and influencers.

Your dole is safe enough.

Stop lying.

It was proved he was in third level, in ucd, when he said some horrible things on twitter. He is a d1ck. And a big hypocrite.

In his statement he said he was 16. Lies.

The fact you let him away with it and defend him must mean you agree with all his tweets?

He's a liar. He needs to take time out and reassess who he is and who he wants to be as a journalist. Being the journalist who tries to catch someone out and judge them, and hide behind "objectivity" and "hard questions" never works out for journalists.

Shane Hannon thinks he's smarter than other people and can "smooth" talk his way out of any situation. Hence, the teenager bullshit. Just some thoughts. Just asking the hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"he said some horrible things on twitter. He is a d1ck. And a big hypocrite."

Call him a hypocrite while doing the same thing, irony is lost on some people.

In his statement he said he was 16. Lies.

He said over a decade ago when he was a teenager, what part of that is lies.

Wanna call him horrible things about something else he didn't say, or are you happy with that.

Is nineTEEN not a teenager now? Have the wokerati changed how numbers work?

Well hynesie, I'm not a journalist hounding a sports star to ask a question about a tweet, whilst having loads of horrible tweets of my own.

Then delete them when everyone finds out about them. Laughable...

Being 16 is a lie, when he was in college. He was a ucd student.

Read what evolvingtipperary said above.

Why are you defending him? Do you agree with his horrible tweets?

Haha.

Defending a d1ck like hannon?

19 is an adult.

Mong, roscommonretard is okay by you.

Thanks for spelling hynesie right, amazing how many get it wrong even though it's there.

There are tweets ranging from 2010 to 2013, so from when he was 16, so not a lie.

I'm not defending him, I just don't hold someone saying stupid **** when they were a teenager over their heads 10 years later, because there's a big difference between 19 and 29. There's no difference between 32 and 33.

If we're dragging people over the coals for how they behaved as teenagers, maybe Kellie would share her history?

Hold on. There is a big difference between 16 and 19.

19, he is an adult and a third level student. In his statement he said "16", but didn't take account of anything he said as an adult. So obviously lying to try and sound like he was just a silly child, when clearly he was proved wrong.

He used mkng and roscommonretard when he was an adult. Why is there still people defending him?

Again I ask the question, can we all just admit that they've said silly things on social media and move on?

The abuse kellie has gotten is horrendous. His tweets are definitely worse, albeit 10 years old. The hypocrisy is what is annoying me. Mainly how smug hannon and his pals were directly after the interview. A gotcha moment.

And I spelled your name correctly because I looked back twice to be sure, to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

Well of course my dole is safe, I never had to sign up to any mysteriously received agenda to receive it, so far anyway.

Speaking of which, I'm still no closer to finding out where this esoteric manifesto for correct thinking is laid out. Have you a link?

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Shane was born in to a well to do family, went to UCD, he is well connected now, earning well.

It's not like he came from a heavy wet farm in Monaghan with more days than dinners or from inner city Dublin.

If the Left turn on him, then are they all open season, not going to happen he knows it, we all can see the difference in treatment, class solidarity will come through once again. They move in the same circles. If he was from a poorer family, studied at the "wrong" 3rd level institution, he'd be already hung out to dry.

He's lucky Trump just got indicted. That'll be that for this story. Beers all round for the OTB boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, subscribe to the journal of common sense and you'll find out.

Anyone can think what they like and say what they like, but anyone who thinks that actions don't have consequences, is stupid.

Hypocrisy from public figures gets called out and challenged. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In Kellie's favour is the fact that she is a popular figure overall and has a fair amount of goodwill towards her. I don't see this episode being hugely damaging to her - it has the look of something that will be a seven day wonder and will quickly fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And rightly so, whilst acknowledging that this is much to the disappointment of several posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

Can people not see that a public figure, receiving public money and sponsorship will always be held more accountable for their comments than what was said when someone was a teenager.

And even so, as soon as Hannons tweets were dug up he released a statement saying he was ashamed, embarrassed and apologised. Where he talked about wishing he could have told his teenage self about the damage language can do and called out that he is also accountable to the standards he holds his guest to. So owning his actions and not in any way hypocritical.

The pile on against the interviewer however is yet another incidence of shooting the messenger rather than addressing the issue. You can legitimately seek to hold him to account over his actions, but that does not de-legitimise the question like many seem to think.

On Harrington, she is a public figure in receipt of public money and private sponsorship where her public image is used, so anything she says in a public forum is a legitimate source for debate. It highlights that you must be thoughtful when reacting to emotive topics

• Registered Users Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Guys, meet in the middle. It’s the only way. Interviewer did eff all wrong. Kellie did eff all wrong. Storm. Teacup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yep- and if you’re going to take shilling to promote whatever it is she’s now promoting, you absolutely have to watch what you say and what you tweet- indeed, you need to assume that all of your communication will be scrutinised.

And also, considering she quickly deleted that tweet, she obviously knew she did something that would affect her “brand”- why she didn’t have a prepared statement or couple of sentences to rattle off in response is just plain dumb- it was an obvious question to be asked- it’s now much bigger a story than it should be.

Advertisement