Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellie Harrington. Was she hung out to dry or did she hang herself out to dry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

She's there to be the face of a company to sell their cabbage and tea. She's not there to be a professor pontificating on diversity and culture and immigration. That's beyond her. That's what she means by that, not that she's saying no to diversity. She's switching off because it's beyond her. She's allowed to know her limits. Her expression is boxing. That's doesn't make her a bad person or thick or anything else that people are throwing at her. The life she is living is diverse and community driven...Is she perfect and to everyone's liking? I'm sure she's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you are going to put yourself forward as some "ambassador for the community" then you are going to be called out if there are contradictions to that. It would happen to anyone in the public eye and there's no reason why KH should get a free pass.

The issue is that nobody really knows what she thinks one way or the other, her responses/actions have been less than clear and in the vacuum everyone is making their own judgement. All completely avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

She's an amateur boxer not a high court judge !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Should be noted too that there was very little controversy around the original tweets in October. It was Kellie's evasiveness this week that landed her in hot water. She may have been caught on the hop slightly and not realised that refusing point blank to answer the questions might be a bad look. Virtually any answer at all would have been better than saying 'move on' and 'I have nothing to say'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

Hindsight is 20/20 , given the effusive praise she's received, I bet that was the last question she was expecting, OTB is a good show but they're they're going back to massaging their politics into sport , incidious carry on that thankfully saw the back of previous contributors , it's a sports programme at the end of the day , leave politics to Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Best post yet , Kellie strikes me as a real genuine type but she’s not a sophisticated person who earns her living talking, hers wasn’t the kind of Performative wokery we saw from Shane Hannon yesterday evening on Twitter where he sought public forgiveness for sins against progressive decency ten years ago when he used unflattering terms to describe certain people

Kellie doesn’t do that kind of phoney piousness and we love her more for it

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Kelly was right not to comment further. If she wasn’t prepped for it anything she said would have been twisted. She shouldn’t have apologised though

when did off the ball become about geo politics ? Will we have klaus shwaub on the panel next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No harm apologising if she tweeted something that she didn't fully understand and which subsequently caused people to question her own views.

I would think an apology and stating that's not your personal view etc is standard practice if you get misconstrued, regardless of who you are.

If it is her view then I agree she shouldn't apologise. Stand by your views, explain them if you want or not. Up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

The sanctimonious fella conducting the interview has now been outed as a vicious bigot and for using dehumanising language towards disabled people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

When he was 16, almost a decade and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So just so I have it right, we have two main posters who are furious she insulted all immigrants.

They can't point out where in the tweet she used racist language.

One of them opened a thread yesterday giving out that people weren't protesting a pedophile being jailed.

The other has been referring to all people from the East wall as knackers and scumbags etc based on a small minority of people who protested.

Before this so called journalist who has a past of insulting transvestites and disabled people, very people would have known about the tweet.

Now we have an Irish hero and role model to young kids being attacked publicly and making everyone aware of the tweet.

She could have lost sponsorship and been fincinacially and publicly ruined.

Yet people are happy to see this happen as some sort of punishment for a tweet months ago that was deleted.

These are the same people who go around telling people to be kind but are the same people who love ruining other people's lives at any opportunity.

She is a national hero and let's hope this dies down and that journalist is further exposed for his hypocrisy and maybe he might be the one that suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My €0.02

This happened 5 months ago, and the tweet was deleted in minutes

The comment was:

"Very, very sad. A powerful message from Eva Vlaardingerbroek. Our own leaders need to take a listen to this. She believes this is the 12th girl in France this year who has been killed by an immigrant.. And that’s just France."

In reference to a migrant that murdered a girl. Eva Vlaardingerbroek (whos a bit nutz and believes in the "great reset")

There are ALOT of women out there that fear violence from men, there is on average in Ireland 6 women violently murdered by men each year, and countless more suffer abuse.

So statements that come from the right wing like "If you think that's bad, wait til you see what these migrants do" are really compounded to the ordinary Joe soap. In Kelly's defense, she did not know who Eva Vlaardingerbroek was when she tweeted that. She's a victim of right wing radicalization PR stunt, that's all. Shane Hannon being in the media industry would have known this, so it baffles me why he even asked the question.

Finally, there is NO WAY Shane Hannon would have asked that question if it was a man he was interviewing. Women are easy prey to pick apart ya see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Being good at punching people should mean you're above criticism?

What did she do that you believe deserves Being potentially publicly and financially ruined?

What do you think she should be criticised for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Finally, there is NO WAY Shane Hannon would have asked that question if it was a man he was interviewing. Women are easy prey to pick apart ya see.

You were making some sense until you go to this part. There's absolutely no foundation to this, along with this idea that she was somehow targeted because she has a working class accent.

Acting like a petulant child when asked a fair question relating to something that she was promoting, it came across as small time and unprepared.

Why do you think Shane hannon should be publicly and financially ruined?

She is a national hero and let's hope this dies down and that journalist is further exposed for his hypocrisy and maybe he might be the one that suffers.

I never said he should be financially ruined.

He set out to make a show of her while having opportunities in the past with men and avoided it.

I hope he suffers publicly for being a hypocrite considering his past tweets.

He might have done a bit of preparation and deleted those tweets before going after someone else for past tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

I really don't need their support or lack of to have an opinion on an issue. I think you might find that most people are not a hive mind on all matters.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

The sin Kellie committed that has so many luvvies on Twitter (and here) so worked up is that she exposed a fact.

It is a fact that the little girl (who is conveniently never mentioned in these attacks) was raped, mutilated, and murdered by migrants.

Progressives, or whatever they call themselves, hate facts. Their whole world view is based on a denial of facts.

Like JK Rowling, with her crazy assertion that women are women, Kellie dared to share a fact that didn't suit the woke agenda.

People (especially women for some reason) who state anti-woke facts must not only be berated, but, if possible, must be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I don't see this as a migrant issue.

I don't see this as a woke issue.

I don't see this as a racism issue.

I don't see it as an academic discussion of beliefs.

This is simply an issue of people's rights in interviews and the ethics of interviewing someone about their status as a role model. The problem was someone bringing a political narrative into a sporting arena with a person who has no interest in such and is not equipped to do so. Spar want a famous role model to push their brand and business - like any business they attach themselves to buzz words like diversity and community without a thought for how a journalist might angle that to generate controversy and views.

Anybody bringing anything else to the table in terms of political issues outside of the interview, issues with the woke or far-right, is muddying the waters of that issue with their own concerns, political concerns, with migrancy, wokeism, the far right, nationalism, and geo politics.

Shane Hannon opened that tin of worms. Kellie thought she could close it. But everyone else is exploding the whole tin with their political concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The nationality of the individuals who murdered that girl is scarcely relevant to anything. As a former major colonial power, France is one of the most multicultural countries in Europe. It stands to reason that with a population of 66m, some horrible and awful crimes will be carried out by non nationals in any given year.

Right wing news sources like GB News trying to turn this into a 'migrant' issue adds nothing to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I don't believe she was targeted as such, but it was definitely fishing exercise by Eva (And her team), Harrington was the unfortunate that was caught out by it. Shane would have know this, he's in the news/media business, so again, why did he ask the question if he knows it's stunt?

Sorry to break this to ya, but journalists asking Women questions that they wouldn't ask Men is actually a thing. I get #CoverTheAthlete was 7 years ago and Irish people forget, but it's still going on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I'd imagine the "nationality" of those murderers is very relevant to the parents of Lola Daviet, as the little girl would still be alive if they had stayed in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It stands to reason that with a population of 66m, some horrible and awful crimes will be carried out by non nationals in any given year.

The vast majority of the disgusting crimes that have happened in France in the last 10 years or so have largely been committed by the "new French". This case, the beheading a few years ago, the Irish man who was stabbed to death for his views, and all of the terrorism that's killed hundreds of people, have been committed by non natives. You're quickly becoming one of the worst posters on this site for twisting truths, constantly downplaying the results of an ideology that you care so deeply about. People like yourself are far more impassioned about the likes of Kelly, than the absolute filth who commit these acts, and that says so much about you all.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

All she needed to say was "i reacted to a sad story and once I realised that this poor girls murder was being used to drive an agenda I deleted the tweet. We should all do a bit more to make sure that we are not being led astray by radical agendas which take advantage of sad situations"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

How many murders of girls from outside the UK where the murderer was not from an immigrant background do GB news report on?

Advertisement