Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we reached “peak podcast”?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Trying to slag a closed account? Yikes. That’s embarrassing. 😳 😬 😱 It’s “abominable.” 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looks around scratchs head. Nope still no idea what a podcast is. Never have used them or whatever you do with them. Do you read them or listen to them? No idea.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I'd agree with the OP about Brolly. I'd rather give my housebound aunt a sponge bath than listen to Brolly droning on about whatever auld brainfart pops into his head. I see it has dropped down to No. 47 on the Apple Podcasts charts, so it seems lots of people have had enough of him. Feel sorry for the lad who co-hosts with him. He must have the patience of St. Monica.

There's so many truly terrible podcasts, usually featuring between 2 and 4 white men guffawing, rattling on, and generally being of the standard you'd expect from student radio.

My absolute favourite podcast for the past two years has been The Rest is History. Yes, I'm absolutely aware it's two privileged white men who host it, but it's (usually) so informative and interesting that I look forward to a new episode arriving. They can also be extremely witty and funny without it seeming forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Seems Spotify are cutting a lot of their exclusive podcasts. Expensive to make, hugely varying quality, and I’d imagine the vast majority of people can only actively listen to a small core subset of shows on a regular basis.

Gary Lineker’s Goalhanger network produces some top class shows, but there’s even signs they are stretching themselves thin.

I predict we are going to see a lot of shows cancelled or going on an extended hiatus soon. The venture capital money is starting to run out and the model of continued growth in the number of shows and sort out the profitability later is starting to show serious cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The next person to complain about white guys i will doxx and butcher to death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Things aren't going too good for Spotify. I watched a few videos a while back about spotify: tldr, royalties cost them a fortune and they probably can't sustain their business model.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/read-full-memo-spotifys-ceo-093716619.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The only Spotify podcast that I've actually listened to is The Last Soviet. Presented by one of NSync members but the topic is fascinating. All around the soviet union space program and the collapse of the union. But in general, I don't view stars as a draw unless it's somebody being interviewed by Conan but he's properly embraced the format.

Wouldn't say my general listening is much of an echo chamber either. You Must Remember This is a favourite of mine and that's all film history. Slow Burn also does a nice summary of a historical topic. Eg the last season was around Clarence Thomas. I generally tend to prefer the short run series.

Advertisement