Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we reached “peak podcast”?

Options
  • 25-03-2023 12:09pm

Podcasts can be great if you’re on a long drive, ironing clothes or putting the dinner on. The idea is great and some of them are excellent.

Is it sustainable though to have so many of them? Seems like everyone and his mother are launching one these days - most of them are just podcasters going around interviewing other podcasters and asking each other all the same questions.

Like is there a market for all these or is it just the last of the cheap venture capital washing its way through podcast startups?

The reason I ask is that I see Joe Brolly is the latest fella to launch one. Does the world need another boring middle-aged white dude who thinks he is some sort of philosopher snorting into a mic and guffawing with his guests as they tell the same old stories and anecdotes?

I’m not so sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I made the switch from radio to podcasts about 8 years ago now. I think they're great purely because you can hone in on exactly your interests.

I do know what you mean though. I think it's basically like a lot of things. A small number of them at the top will get all of the listeners and sponsorship/Patreon money and the vast majority will be glorified hobbies with very few listeners.

Does the world need another boring middle-aged white dude who thinks he is some sort of philosopher snorting into a mic and guffawing with his guests as they tell the same old stories and anecdotes?

I think the market will take care of itself. I don't think that it's anywhere near saturation point yet though. I know loads of people who have no idea what a podcast is or how they work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Does the world need another boring middle-aged white dude who thinks he is some sort of philosopher snorting into a mic and guffawing with his guests as they tell the same old stories and anecdotes?

But enough about Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Hmm, this a great idea for a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

There’s some woeful tripe out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its like anything, really: there's loads of choice out there and you need to sift through them to get to the good stuff.

As another poster mentioned, you can find some niche topics that it used to be harder to find.

There are sometimes when they have special guests and it gets a bit repetitive alright.

I'd recommend Blurini Bealoidis, Irish History, Eddie Lenihan's one, Manchan Magan, Blindboy and Censored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Slideways

Blind boy?!?

I’d rather shít in my hands and clap

Love podcasts. Enough choice out there to avoid the soap boxing ones. Currently listening to The Coming Storm (about January 6th '21, on BBC Sounds).

I don't usually like the ones with people having a chat. Although I like the Louis Theroux ones.

I find Blindboy too preachy. A social issues geared one, which I find excellent though, is The Two Norries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Blindboy reminds me a lot of Boards dude Abominable Dr Phibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Don't listen to it then. I don't really see the problem with the market becoming saturated because I don't have to listen to the ones that don't interest me.

I've no dea if we need a Joe Brolly podcast. I probably won't listen to it and people who are interested in it will listen.

I'd never listen to a podcast out loud (except in the shower) so it's a totally personal experience. I don't have to listen to my Mrs podcast if it doesn't interest me and she doesn't have to listen to mine.

I suppose my point is, what difference does it make if there are loads of podcasts you don't like? You'll never have to listen to them.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Peak podcast was achieved when Louis CK, Patrice, Jim Norton and Anthony were together on O&A.

Around this same time Artie was still on Stern.

This would soon all change with the death of Patrice, the firing of Artie and the subsequent loss of his nose.

Followed by the firing of the firing of obersturmfuhrer Anthony. And the cancellation of Louis.

The golden age was over.

• Advertisement

You’ll have to explain that in a bit more detail, my friend. Don’t see the similarities at all.

Anyway, moving on, I see Tommy Tiernan has put his podcast on hiatus. Doesn’t surprise me - Tiernan is best enjoyed in small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A 'live' version of Gary Neville's podcast sold out the 3 Arena on thursday night, €40 a ticket, there's serious money in it if it takes off. That said, I can't believe thousands actually paid it, fools and their money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

It’s like books, movies etc. People will gravitate towards what they like and filter out the rest. And with respect, not sure what a person’s skin colour has to do with it 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

there seems to be a 100 podcasts which feature actors, comedians promoting their latest show, film .the golden age is now, Almosy any actor or comedian can launch a podcast now .its like music, most of the money is made by the top 1 per cent .many bbc radio shows are avaidable as a podcast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Blindboy (a few backs are up already) is right about one thing, and that is that podcasts have completely outflanked 'old media' in terms of in-depth conversations. It seems an anachronism in this day and age to have everything to a time slot and itemised. It's like a figurative straight jacket in many ways. A podcast can go for as long or as short as it wants to. Conversations tend to end when they arrive at a natural conclusion when it comes to podcasts, but are crammed into a very shallow 5-10 minutes on a radio broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Roy Keane and a guest appearance from Paul McGrath. I dunno getting those guys talking for a period of time on stage is decent entertainment. These days forty bucks for something like that is a steal.

As someone said above the thing with podcasts is you can hone in on your interests and avoid the rest. I don't generally see the harm once no laws are being broken and as someone else said the market will decide if there's space for more.

The only one I've ever paid for is the second captain's but haven't been subscribed on a while. There's only so much sports chat one can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Podcasting, like streaming and blogging, has really become a victim of it's own success. It's a very easy and accessible way to start your own show

I have mixed feelings on this, for example it's great to have some niche topics get some airtime instead of just being consigned to the ignore pile

However I do feel like some topics are seriously saturated with podcasts and it's quite hard to see the appeal of one over another (generally current affairs and politics are good examples of this)

What probably bugs me most about podcasts is the sameness between so many of them

Why do almost all podcasts have some sort of light jazz intro for example?

And why do so many presenters speak too close to the microphone? I don't want to hear the spit coming out of their mouth with every word 😕

I find a lot of podcasts also tend to be echo chambers of a single viewpoint. That's really just an extension of the way media is in general these days, but it would be good to hear some cross examination

Not saying every podcast should be an argument between both sides of an issue, I understand they have a topic they want to cover. But it would be great to hear some more questions and fact checking going on than just everyone nodding to what the podcaster is saying

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think the best ones are the straight up documentary style - Real Dictators, The Rest is History, Doc on One etc. Usually professionally produced, well researched, regular schedule.

The ones there are far too many of these days are those that have a load of bores taking an interesting topic and then spending 4 hours fake laughing at each others terrible jokes. A lot of American podcasts these days follow that format. Joe Rogan talking about doing mushrooms and why he used to be a liberal type of thing. Awful.

The Blindboy interviewing Russell Brand, Russell Brand interviewing Blindboy, Russell Brand interviewing Joe Wick, Joe Wick interviewing Blindboy type thing is what I don't think is sustainable. It's pretty much the same auld shíte every week. Same questions, same opinions, same long pauses before they give the same deeply profound answer they gave on another podcast the week before. Boring.

Cannot stand those ones with clowns just giggling and getting drunk/stoned. Disrespectful to the listener. And extremely disrespectful if it's true crime/unsolved cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Tork

The ones I avoid like the plague are the ones that consistently go on for more than an hour or so. Even though there is a lot to be said for this longer form of talk radio, there comes a point where it becomes self-indulgent. Regardless of whether we've hit peak podcast or not, there are only so many of them that humans can listen to.

• Advertisement

The time he stated that its sexist to dislike the Kardashians. Reminds me of your regular spirited defense of Vogue et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

My answer is yes OP

& in fact I think we’re nearing the end of peak Internet. Most people now only go on the internet because they are addicted but more & more are breaking it because of what others here have replied to.

Ads everywhere

Pure nonsense content

Takes up so much wasted time

Pushing narratives & contradicting content etc

A good few people I no have & are starting to go the old school route to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I listen to podcasts all the time and I think they're fantastic, but I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would pay money to go see a live recording of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

"Does the world need another boring middle-aged white dude who thinks he is some sort of philosopher snorting into a mic and guffawing with his guests as they tell the same old stories and anecdotes?"

Why is it important to mention his skin colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, you could also ask if we have reached peak book. The same solution works for podcasts, books, TV series, documentaries etc. Just use the ones you want and don't bother about the rest.

Lots of podcasts are great but i get used to the format and stop listening. Stuff You Should Know is an example. Great show and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't listened before. But I don't listen anymore and that's grand.

There's no test of what you've learned or reward for listening to every episode of a podcast. You just listen to the ones that interest you and delete the rest.

I haven't listened to radio in years but I listen to the odd Moncrieff segment and ignore the rest. Who cares of there are lots of podcasts thst you don't enjoy. There are plenty to try.

Joe Brolly starts one just as his new wife takes a six month break from hers with Tommy & Hector. They must hate each other already...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

#neverforget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Podcasts seem to be the modern equivalent of “starting a band”. A couple of lads from the northside, or inner city, going on about how great it was back in the day, while describing things that sound anything but.

There’s a few good ones out there, alright. Some interesting, some funny, but it’s gone past ridiculous at this stage. The ones here, in particular, can’t seem to maintain momentum. Probably down to the smaller “talent pool”, so they end up hot-desking on each other’s shows.

Could, certainly, do with a cull but doesn’t look like that will happen any time soon.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement