Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we reached “peak podcast”?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Coming Storm is great. While reading about American politics I kept hearing about QAnon but didn't really get what it was.

That podcast got me up to speed. Really good.

End of Days about Waco Texas and David Koresh was brilliant to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The OP would prefer more of this......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Never listened to an episode of it in my life, Stevo. I’d say its existence really bothers you though. I see they have sold about 50000 tickets to live performances of it so it’s obviously extremely popular.

Can’t imagine a 6 hour Blindboy featuring Joe Brolly and David McWilliams being quite as popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The Vogue Williams and McNally podcast is great. My wife listens to it. She played a few episodes on a long drive and I thought it was a great one. Irreverent and witty. Two great storytellers. You can imagine heading on a night out with them. Something very likeable about Vogue. She resonates especially with other strong mothers. Breath of fresh air compared to the usual Jordan Peterson, Blindboy and other manosphere idols.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Michael Spicer satire on podcasts.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement

I'm bewildered at all the hostility towards Vogue, but I couldn't be listening to her podcast. And I'm the target audience. I'd say there isn't a straight man alive who would genuinely enjoy it. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyways, best just to ignore the pretty weak attempts to derail what I think is a pretty interesting thread.

Listened to the first two episodes of The Coldest Case in Laramie by Serial. Suffers from the same issue as Netflix documentaries- 2 hours of material is padded out to 8 overly long episodes of mostly filler.

You quoted two different users. Dr said he hasn't heard it. I've listened to it plenty, once on a long drive and lots of other times when my wife has it on in the background as irons.

What kind of podcasts do you like?

Do you think all gay people have a "type" of podcast they like?

I'm very much straight and found it very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

mod

i will tolerate none of this accusing posters of re reg/sockpuppeting. If you suspect that report them and let the admins look into it.

If this continues beyond this warning the offenders will receive an immediate threadban and potentially a forum ban if you’ve been at it already here.

One and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I don't really listen to a lot of podcasts, in truth I think that they are a leading cause for the fractionalisation of our culture.

While it has its faults, a society where every consumes more or less the same media leads to fewer extremists like we are seeing today with the American style "conservatives" and "liberals," reactionists, and what have you. I certainly never heard any talk about the "pussification of society" or people bragging about manly it is to smoke a cigar or eat game in Ireland prior to the rise of right-wing mouthpieces like Joe Rogan and Andrew Tate.

Even 15 odd years ago the likes of Russell Brand was this absurdist kooky comedian who was best known for prank-calling elderly men (RIP) about riding their granddaughters. Now Brand lectures people with complete falsehoods about the viability of vaccines (and other conspirary theories), and without the Broadcasting Authorities to stop him from spreading his verbose bile he is allowed to natter on about his lies with impunity. Ditto for the likes of Tate and Rogan.

I genuinely feel sorry for the people who listen to those kind of podcasts where lies are truth and hate is the status quo. In Ireland the post-covid malaise, unbridled hate towards anyone who isn't a straight and white, and hunt for "unvetted" foreign men are all directly resulting from so many confused young men listening to angry American podcasts.

in truth I'd rather listen to RTE Gold or Lyric FM than that kind of trash. At least Ryan Tubridy's never been accused of sexual assaulting anyone.

You know what you were doing. Don’t post here again.

Russell Brand always annoyed me but now he's really lost it.

He can be funny at times but it gets old when almost his entire routine is “I was mad into the drugs so I was”

Christ almighty you’re describing the dregs of pod casting, the American comedians are on fire at the minute , way ahead of the safe space Irish /uk efforts .

American comedians that are not even advertising are selling out the 3 arena regularly and vicar street at least , no tv no radio massive sales

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

I always find it interesting that people seem to know so much about podcasts that they don't like.

Why are you listening to them?

I mean I'm not going to 'hate listen' to Vogue Williams podcast. I couldn't be arsed.

I've tried out a lot of those American comedian podcasts and, honestly, they are all absolutely terrible. Chin-stroking musing about their creative process, referring to each other as "killers" and "murderers and non-comedians as "civilians," tedious anecdotes about touring and "eating sh!t" on the stage.

Then you actually listen to their stand up and it's the worst kind of base humour you can ever imagine. "Pussies be smelly" and all this. Absolute garbage.

I’d listen to Theo von all day 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Used to listen to a lot of them pre pandemic but not so much anymore. Only listen to In our time which is a radio program and one or two f1 podcasts. I wouldn't say we've hit peak podcast yet because I still struggle to find interesting ones to listen to.

He took too many of them anyway because he has now ventured into "they're poisoning our food" territory.

Maybe listen to the good ones

ah I’m being a dick, it’s all subjective. I do find the podcast comedy is moving ahead of mainstream promotion which would explain comedians selling out the arena without promotion

before the boards upgrade every event in the 3 arena would have a thread

i do take exception to you mentioning Tate and Rogen in the same sentence though

rogen is the man supporting comedians and providing the infrastructure for many of them and has opened a huge comedy venue which promotes fair play for the acts

Tate is an alleged twisted perverted sex criminal that takes money from kids and fills their heads up with bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I never heard of "peak paperback books" or "peak newspaper articles".

The podcast is just another form of media.

Let them all do their thing and pick the ones you want to listen to.

I think we need to agree to disagree regarding Rogan; he has defended Tate and he has spread a lot of untruths regarding the covid vaccines hiding behind the shield of "just asking questions" or "I'm just a comedian I don't know anything." He also has a tendency to platform cranks, grifters, and quacks on his programme.

That wasn't a problem for me personally until it became the most-listened to broadcast in the world. I've always maintained that he has a responsibility to filter out bullsh!t when he has the biggest audience ever and he absolutely refuses to live up to that responsibility.

It's ironic because he refers to exercising as "conquering your inner bitch," yet he has consistently refused to look himself in the mirror and ask himself if he is being responsible when he promotes pyramid schemers or downplays Andrew Tate's hideous shenanigans. There is a squealing inner bitch there just begging to be conquered and he absolutely refuses.

That being said, if you like Rogan then enjoy. No skin off my nose.

No, but there’s lots of failed authors, wannabe DJs working in other jobs, failed newspapers, and disastrous attempts at launching TV news channels.

With podcasts there’s just too many boring and badly produced ones, and you’d wonder with advertising budgets and VC funding drying up how they are going to make any real money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, I was focusing on the Irish ones but the US ones can get a bit “samey” as well.

Some of them can be great, like you said Theo Von’s one, ‘We Might Be Drunk’, ‘AnnieWood’, ‘Bad Friends’, ‘Tuesdays with Stories’, ‘Whiskey Ginger etc are all worth a listen but only every once in awhile. You tend get a lot of similar guests going around in circles.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

I honestly have never heard any of that , probably because I pick and choose and would no interest in covid or Tate

Advertisement