Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we reached “peak podcast”?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Well I don't blame the listeners, he bunts out a lot of material. Most of it is fairly innocuous, I don't think he's a bad actor or evil person, but his "bullsh!t radar" is non-existent, he has defended some actual pondlife in his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think we've reached "Peak Podcasting", i think it's just that Podcasts are starting to dominate.

For me it replaces the radio which has too many ads, too many phone-ins and/or reading out of listener's texts and too many topics that I'm not interested in.

Podcasts are perfect as you just select the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't like. I don't get why people would get annoyed about a podcast they don't listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes I guess like they all found their level podcasts will too.

I can't understand why someone would listen to something that bores them when there is so much choice out there.

I don't know much about the financial side of podcasts.

until you get a podcast where every 5 mins they have a sponsor spot 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The key to consuming podcasts is having high standards for yourself. There are loads of high quality podcasts out there that will cater to your specific interests. The trick is finding them. That inevitably means constant pruning. If a podcast starts annoying you or boring you then unsubscribe. There are literally thousands of others out there. I'm constantly chopping and changing.

Part of the problem is that there are a lot of poor quality podcasts out there. This is because the barrier to entry is so low. Someone can literally just record themselves having a conversation with their friends on their phone and upload it as a podcast. Just because they can doesn't mean that they should though.

If I listen to a podcast and it's poorly edited, the audio quality is poor or the content is clearly just someone rambling incoherently or phoning it in then I'll switch it off without a second thought. Reading some of the responses to this thread and there appears to be people hate-listening to podcasts. Why would you do that to yourself? Just turn it off and move on.

Post edited by Brussels Sprout on

Yes, but you can easily skip through that. Nowhere near as annoying as radio ad breaks.

I’ll agree to disagree with you I find sponsor spots 5 times an hour very annoying personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Rogan has some interesting guests(the odd time I've looked) but his podcasts are way too long.

I always get the feeling, that no matter who he has on, Joe has to be the smartest guy in the room.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7zjMM0mw8oIr3VxRX0Tfay?si=s3PrL-gPSseA3RzXqajkhQ&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A4rOoJ6Egrf8K2IrywzwOMk

I was sent that by my sister as she knows cold water exposure/cold adaptation is an interest of mine, but nearly 3 hrs long.

Rogan wouldn't shut the fcuk up kept interrupting a neuroscientist talking in his field of expertise.

Went straight to the horse's mouth

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3W4Y9Zb9SEr8E4OKdA3yiC?si=jdUIK7WLQjafJ8Rl_HtzFQ

Interesting guy I must look at his other stuff. Does a lot of adds at start but grand after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

People are getting their news from feeds which are governed by their interests.

They are following posters they agree with on social media.

Podcasts are chosen or rejected on how they fit the listeners viewpoint.

Is there a trend here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I listen to podcasts based on what i,m interested in eg ,tech,gaming, , i also listen to podcasts that are funny or interesting ,eg slate gabfest, frank skinner, ,The point of podcasts is they can be listed to anytime ,on a phone, no need to look at a tv or a laptop screen .i,ll listen to a podcast that are 5 years old if its about something of interest to me

we are in a world of youtube ,100s of tv channels , streaming channels , why would someone watch or listen to a program they have no interest in. like many hosts joe rogan is only as good as the guest he has on. i listen to podcasts ,i rarely watch them on youtube

go to rte or bbc news or newser.com, they show the same news to everyone i don,t go to facebook to get my news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah if you get your news entirely from one podcast with a political bias, then you'll get biased news. But that's nothing new. If you get your news entirely from one tabloid or from GB News, you're not going to get a rounded opinion on the issues.

If I listen to a history podcast ( listened to a really good The Rest is History episode about St. Patrick today) I don't really see any terrible echo chamber effect. Same with the rugby podcasts I listen to, or the other history podcasts.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they were asking if they'd hit peak book in the decades after the printing press was invented.

Thanks a mil. The American far right makes for a fascinating subject. I recommend Bundyville (not Ted) - about that anti federal government, doomsday prepping crowd. Very much western United States - and Mormon.

Can we all agree that Eddie Lenihan's podcast is a gem?

Buckos' who got notations about themselves, meeting a terrible and tragic death down, pulling a tree when they were told not to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I only started listening to them recently. I listened to the coming storm and then a couple that Marianna Spring did about conspiracies and online disinformation. I listened to one about Putin and then I saw someone online recommend the "Behind the Bastards" podcast about Stephen Segal. And now I'm going through the rest of their stuff. (I can highly recommend the Stephen Segal podcast. It's hilarious how far up his own hole he is. There's two episodes and the second one is the best)

Like others, it's for when I'm cooking, in the shower etc so it can take a week to listen a 90 minute episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

I think there are too many, but that's how it goes with most good ideas. Overtime with having more options instead of getting easier to pick a good one, it's like it's getting more and more difficult. 

I've never come across a podcast like that. MOst I listen to may start with ads (not sponsorships) and then have an ad break in the middle.

All easily skippable with the forward 30 second button. You can't do that with the radio.

Thats a good idea ,i want a music player with a skip forward 1 minute button that,ll skip past the ads

,most ads on american podcasts are no use to me ,they are for american products or websites .go to podbayfm or playerfm.com click explore ,eg, art, culture, gaming , or search for a topic eg history, films etc to find podcasts that might interest you theres 4 podcasts at www.slate.com and they are all worth listening to .

i wonder does anyone still use the itunes app for podcasts since theres so many podcast apps like player fm with subscribe, and download functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So many lumberjack shirts in one place, I'd say the bang of Paco Rabanne was fierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I've no idea, but we should get Joe Brolly to host the Late Late Show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's very good, but I feel like Eddie really needs an audience there in front of him to come alive. If I could, I'd rejig that podcast to have a co-host with Eddie who's knowledgeable enough to pitch intelligent questions and send him off in different directions. Maybe every so often record him doing a live storytelling session.

I love it. I emailed him and asked him if he would come to Newcastle to do a talk in the Tyneside Irish Centre. Never heard back.

I would love to see him live. Podcast is indeed a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭briany

It would be worth trying him a few times via different avenues, email, Facebook, maybe even a letter. It's entirely possible that someone of his age and workload will miss, or forget to reply to every communication.

Since this message yesterday I was wondering about that. You're dead right. I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Only listen to In our time which is a radio program.

I think we may have reached peak "In our time", it's been on for years and I've listened to almost all the podcasts, but a lot of the subjects covered lately have become very obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

That's good not bad, I want academics to be locked in a room and forced to try and describe an obscure topic to a general audience.

theres a podcast on every subject , crime, gossip, news ,tech history, ,its like tv most tv shows are mediocre or predictable.In our time has cover most obvious events in history or scientific theorys , so its now looking at obscure subjects.still its a great way of learning about science and history and culture thats

discussed by experts.podcasts are an audio medium, no one says have we reached peak tv or peak music. its audio you can listen to a podcast while walking or driving ,so i think they,ll always be popular. i hope someone makes an ai app that,ll find new podcasts based on the podcasts you subscribe to.i think podcasts are great because they allow anyone with a pc ,laptop to make an audio show, if you have skill and talent and a good presenting voice you ,ll get listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Advertisement