Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think it's an RTE issue rather than a Tubridy issue.

Tubs got paid according to his contract. It's RTE who reported it incorrectly. I can't see how Tubs is responsible for how RTE report stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Do you think when his earnings are published that he wouldn't say to himself, hold on a minute, I'm being paid way more than that, something is not right here?

He's not totally innocent in all this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He's under no obligation to comment on his wages publically or correct any statements made by RTE. No more than I am as a HSE employee or you are with regard to your employer.

I think he's a useless broadcaster but I don't get all the hate for him. He got paid what his contract said he was to get paid. It's RTE's responsibility to handle their end of things correctly.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

"Staff 'betrayed and rightly angry' over Tubridy payments - NUJ"

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0623/1390808-rte-unions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No it is not. Legislation was enacted by the Dail so that RTE's top earners income from RTE could be published. Tubridy was in a position of trust interviewing people on TLLS and pontificating on his morning radio show.

He raised money for charities over COVID which he got serious plaudits for. Now we learn he was two faced. RTE was supposed to cut staff costs by 15%, with Tubridy it was an 11% cut which we now see was not the reality.

If it was a private company and a staff member colluded with it's CEO and other within that company to what some wound consider an attempt to defraud the company he be sacked.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

100% agree - if he has a spine at all he will resign from Radio.. this is prob why he left TLL.. lying git.. never liked him... something so smug about him.. and defo uses coke i'd say... he was so cheeky with some of the kids over the years on TTS..

off with him - its sickening - acting all holier than thou.. i am angry about this... I thought the days of this stuff wer over - more fool me.. reminds of Bertie Ahern,.. shame on them all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't see issue with the initial arrangement where sponsor would pay tubridy x amount and where he would guarantee a number of promotional appearances for the sponsor. Seeing as the sponsor was tied to the late late show, I can understand how this payment is tied in with tubridy rte payment.

Where the issue arises is where rte signed off on a contract that guaranteed the top up money to tubridy beyond the timeline of the guaranteed income from the sponsor. I mean this is crazy stuff. If a manager in private business managed to tie themselves into such a contract, they would find themselves out of work very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But they is not what seems to have been happening. RTE were crediting the company 75k from it's advertising department. The company was paying Tubridy 75k and he was doing a few personal appearances for them for arranging it. However some one higher up in the company was not happy with the situation so they only did it for one year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

No legal obligation maybe but he has a moral obligation. He knew that his salary was being underreported and said nothing. He basically knew he was getting more taxpayers' money than RTE was declaring under their obligations to those taxpayers and said nothing. It puts him in a very, very weak position for the job he does. Angus Deayton's career pretty much perished on a very similar rock.

I've nothing against Tubridy, I actually quite like him as a broadcaster. But he's undermined himself here with his (in)action and his response to the whole thing has been watery to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭bmc58

I wonder was he even mildly surprised when an extra €75,000 each year appeared in his bank account? Which was I think outside of his published contract.Was he even a little curious about where this "windfall" came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m no fan of tubridy but as was said, he was contracted to work and paid an agreed amount. How RTE managed his remuneration internally isn’t his concern unless there was a visible discrepancy. I’m sure he knew what his total package was. He was under no legal obligation to comment on his salary no matter what Rte published.

I fully agree that morally he should have stated the situation as it stood but morality abd legality are two different things. Coming out would have killed his career anyway. I don’t like the guy really but in a personal level I don’t blame him for keeping quiet. I don’t know the guy or his personal circumstances but I can’t disagree with someone doing the best for themselves an and their family while it’s all legal. Yes, he’s immoral and two faced but that’s not a crime. The crime likely lies on RTEs doorstep since money was hidden and not declared in public accounts. It’s worse that this was public money too. I’m happy to see the back of Tubbs but the real culprits here are getting away Scott free. Suspension was the greatest gift Dee Forbes could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 reflekting

As the highest paid presenter, surely he would have wanted it put on record if there was a different amount publicised for his salary. He didn't need to make a public statement, but he could certainly have flagged it up with the powers above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If you are explaining you are losing…….

Too late too late will be the cry….when the miniature sweep has passed you by!

Gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They gave Tubridy a send-off like he was a national treasure and it turns out he was pocketing the national treasure.

Never liked the man and always thought he was a phony. No doubt he will be back on the airwaves before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes the extra 70K a year was just resting in his account.

They think it’s all over…… it is now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Apologies, posting ‘Pointlessly’ in the wrong thread!

As ever, I blame Tubs. :D

• Advertisement

What the fuuherke was all that about?

Here’s the real deal in my opinion.

Journos in RTE getting all het up over the wedge paid out to Tubs.

Only solution to that is open the forhhking books on all these salaries and let those ‘Footing the bill’ decide what’s good value and what’s not.

What are these dudes like George Lee, Cormac O hEadhra, McInerney,Emma O Kelly ,John Kilraine and such are getting.

Let’s open all this out and let the paymaster make a judgement…. This covering everything up is done!

Lets cut this boil and lance all the pus .

Its going on for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Far to long.. Lee is getting 180,000 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

aha i knew there was something up in RTE!!! I smelt a rat a while ago.. old post above.. well there ya go.. huh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well if that's what was happening, it's downright fraud in the form of passing public money to a private business for no good reason.

I look forward to bumping into Ryan on one of his Sunday morning walks around Dun Laoghaire harbour and dramatically screaming in his face, ‘I USED TO BELIEVE IN YOU, MAAAAAN! NOW I BELIEVE IN NOTHING!’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

George Lee is one of the top earners, RTÉ staff have questioned how he gets over what others get. Fair City "stars" can command 99,000 - 130,000 for 31 weeks work.

I agree though we should at least know how many staff/contractors are on 100,000 - 110,000, 110,000 - 120,000 and so on up to the 10th most payed person. Look at Larry Gogan, even the likes of Stephen Byrne, Louise McSharry and Tara Kumar, all 3 of them were able suvive for a year before getting a significant role in another company.

On top of this take someone like Katherine Thomas, hosting The Voice and Operation Transformation in one year and filling in on the Radio, she had to be one of the top earners only she was employed by a indo company. I'd say Amanada Bruker got good money for DWTS, but again employeed by an indo producer.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Failing to declare your vast earnings, Ryan?

Why, that’s something Donald Trump would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There is no suggestion yet he has done anything tax wrong yet (but I am sure Revenue will be right on it). But yes was the money declared correctly and at the correct rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Surely the sponsor (i a guessing renault) have something to answer here. Maybe this is why they only did it for a short time. There lawyers and accountants must have told them to stop

Advertisement