Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I wonder what caused the disappearance of youth programming etc oh yeah RTÉ cut it in 2016 by 25% and then in 2017 by 50% and dropped all of its in house youth programming.

Paddy McKenna who dropped out of RTÉ a few years back IMO would be an alright replacement but he only every graduated to a weekend slot on 2FM.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Hadn’t realised they’d all but scrapped youth programming. That’s bad for RTE. Very shortsighted. Back in tge day with stuff like Jo Maxi tgere was a bit of vibrancy and edge in RTE. Now, maybe that’s because I was the target audience back then but if you want lifelong viewers you have to start them young. There’s a reason brands like Mercedes and BMW are making entry level cars now. You get a young persons butt into the drivers seat and look after them, you’ve a customer for life.

Yiu can’t expect people to automatically start watching your output once they have kids or hit their 30s if you’ve offered them nothing up til then. .

In fairness they are providing an offering to both the under 6s and to 6 - 12 but mainly short run stuff and little in terms of presentation.

13+ seem delegated to the RTÉ Player and 2FM and I am not sure its working. But nothing like if you go back even just 10 years ago.

______

Yesterday

more bitter tubridy articles this week , he’s not going quietly 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭techman1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Patrick Kielty confirmed as the next presenter of RTÉ's The Late Late Show.

---

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Done deal some time ago I'd say. Just went diplomatic and waited for Tubs to finish his last proper show. No pressure on Kielty to comment on it every week.

Tubs' last show is a fawning back slapping in house luvvie fest. If it just showed his 'Best of....' it would be shorter than the Angelus.

Maybe it will have a 'Most Memorable Misery Story' section with some sad string orchestra playing over video of kids dying of cancer or CF.

Next question will be how Kielty will shape the programme and what inputs will he have negotiated into his contract. We need a new thread for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭AJB39

Good luck to him. It think he can do well on it. The show does need to be shortened and reformatted for it to work. I presume he’ll give up his Saturday morning radio in the UK on BBC Radio Five Live. I also presume that he and his family will have to move back over here. We might find out more next Friday as I imagine he will be a guest on Ryan’s finale next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,888 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sure I remember Patrick was a Love Island presenter, good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well that's refreshing! I was in his company a number of times (admittedly all some years ago); a very nice man - much more down to earth and pleasant than the incumbent. Could all have been an act of course but I don't think so. He's certainly much ore natural than Tubs, and needless to say funnier.

His wife is far more successful than Kielty, can't imagine they'll be moving. I'd suspect it will be a weekly commute (2-3 day stay at a time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Caquas

Probably the best option available to RTÉ after CB walked away (was she their succession plan or were they just caught going commando when Tubs dropped his bombshell?)

Who made this decision? RTÉ’s “Director of Content” made the announcement (what does he not do?). No mention in this announcement of the incoming DG (even by his future underlings) although it is hardly coincidental that the Indo has a lengthy piece about him today

He has been busy already trying to get Revenue to collect the licence fee. No joy on that front but

It is expected a form of “universal levy” will be introduced, which will apply to most households, regardless of whether they have a TV set.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-rte-boss-lobbies-ministers-to-let-revenue-collect-tv-licence-fee/a149036598.html

New RTÉ boss lobbies ministers to let Revenue collect TV licence fee

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sad that it ended up with someone from the UK and not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think RTE have accidentally stumbled on an excellent choice for the role. Paddy is intelligent, funny and a real people person - probably will be able to switch between the entertainment and 'serious' interviews with ease. He seems way more suited to the role than Claire Byrne, a professional presenter but probably too stiff and wooden for this type of format.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good night to RT.

Welcome aboard to PK.

The show must go on.

It will be a strange one for Radio 1. I think it will be the first time that none of the weekday presenters have a regular TV slot.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭prunudo

Pleasantly surprised to hear the news, definitely the most qualified and professional of the names that have been mentioned on this thread. And even if only for 3 or 4 years, it will mean RTE can concentrate on getting their next host lined up behind the scenes.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Phillips Schofield has left This Morning. Seeing as Tubridy has often told us he's in huge demand across the water, maybe they are clearing out the sofa for his wit, insightful interviews etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭AJB39

Apparently Kielty is still going to do his BBC Radio Five Live radio show on Saturday mornings according to the BBC. It’ll be interesting to see how he manages to juggle both shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Kielty is a huge step up from the amateurish Tubridy.....

Now if they could just get Tubridy out of his cushy morning gig and get him off the payroll entirely, i might consider paying the Licence fee.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭StevenToast

On another note, I think this has shown up the female presenters of Ireland....the most prestigious job on offer and none of them wanted to take on the pressure....

It was put on a plate for them....couldnt hack it.....

But as a result, the actual best candidate has landed the job...

Get rid of your positive discrimination and gender quotas, let the best people get on with their work....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

The best news I've heard since.... well since Tubs announced that he was leaving!

Didn't Tubs stand in for someone in the BBC from RTÉ studios?

______

Yesterday

He did. And in fact his inane ramblings on the radio would have a place somewhere in the BBC for an hour or two a day.

He'd have to drop the misery slot though. Nobody, not even us, want to hear that drivel.

He may be overawed and feel threatened by the quality of guest he'd get. He's never really shone when the big international names were on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Karppi

Oh dear heavens, please No! Just because he's useless, don't try to fob him off the the BBC. Discount Graham Norton and a handful of others, the BBC wouldn't pay €500k pa to Ryan. He'd be very lucky to get half that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭prunudo

I suspect they thought Tubridy would be there for a few more years to come and maybe they misread the room regarding how the public felt about the current crop of female presenters.

• Advertisement

I believe nothing will change so I won't prepare for change just in case. Name a show that a new presenter could develop on at RTÉ?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement