Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.2all concept

Options
  • 15-03-2023 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭

Revealed today

1st edition launch in 2025 with 400km range and 125kW peak charging. No mention of battery size but presumably around 58kWh like the ID.3 to give that range

Follow on edition will start from €25k in Germany, probably over €30k here. No mention of specs for the cheaper edition but likely smaller battery, possibly 45kWh and maybe sub 100kW charging

Size is between Polo and Golf but like all ID cars it should have decent interior space

Personally I think it looks class, they've lifted all the right elements from the Golf, Polo and ID.3 to make a nice looking mini hatchback

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Pictures of the concept

The eagle eyed among you might have spotted the buttons and scroll wheel under the infotainment

Actual buttons!!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looks decent. If they can get the car to market with around 300-325km range for €25,000 then they'll be very very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Will be 40k+ with IQ light and travel assist here, not 25k. Polo is now 30k+ and golf is pushing 40k.

If it's €40K here they'll sell a tiny amount of units.

I can actually see this going to Europe for €25,000 and around €27,000 here.

Edit: apologies I misread your comment and thought you meant it'd be €40K starting by the time it got to Ireland.

I'm fine with a fully equipped one costing that sort of money but if you can get a base spec for €25,000-€27,000 it'll sell very very well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Wheel is very model 3-like with the two buttons/scroll wheels.

The scroll wheel looks a bit like the ones on the Skoda.

I reckon it'll be around €30k here, but availability is the big question. Will VW dealerships even take orders for the base spec Polo or Golf, or do they just order some in and if you want to order one then buy a higher spec one

Not available until 2026 so you'd imagine demand for EVs will have gone through the roof by then so hopefully the manufacturers will have production and stock available.

• Advertisement

Nobby saw it in person.

Even nicer in the metal than the photos posted above.

Love the storage compartment under the back seat. I can see my kids trying to hide in there

Boot looks well equipped for a festival, plenty of space under the false floor for a couple of slabs of cans 😁

Looks to have more storage space than an ID.3

Hmm, apparently there's a 230V socket in the cabin. No mention of wattage, probably going to be a couple hundred watts but fingers crossed it'll be something more powerful like 3kW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Honest to goodness buttons. Yay!

Looks like the screen behind the sterling wheel may be fixed in position from the concept art, not moving with the wheel like other id cars)

If they can get it in here for sub-€30k, with it could be a very popular option.

True, if VW can hit the market in volume at a €25k price point then they'll fly out of the showroom

It'll eat into the small hatchback volumes from other manufacturers a lot. I think @unkels prediction of Toyota's demise might look like a reality in that case

I liked the small screen on the steering wheel, but I'll admit the bigger fixed 10 inch screen looks much better

Love the classic Speedo display, I think Chris showed it briefly in one video

I could see it being €31k here mysteriously, but if it goes below €30k then that'll be great

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It looks like quite impressive from a platform point of view, they've really managed to keep it simple looking

Interesting how they went for FWD this time around, I think it was to shorten the car but it's only 20cm shorter than the ID.3 and same width and height, so doesn't exactly seem like a massive difference

It definitely made an impact on storage with the bigger boot though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think it's more to do with costs than anything else, having the whole unit up front like that should make it much easier to manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To me the 220 bhp, 0 to 80 percent charge in 20 mins and 280 miles WLTP will be extra cost options.

Because VW make more money that way because a 28 k euros in Ireland ID2 won't need those features.

45 kwh battery pack, 0 to 60 in 9.6 seconds and 80 kW charging will do just fine for a lot of purchasers of an entry level EV doing mostly home charging with trips of less then 150 miles.

Those wanting more charging speed, bigger battery and power can be directed to the relevant options pack(s) at extra cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This looks very interesting. No mention of towing capacity that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I like the current set up!

52kwh ID4 gets 350km, being smaller, lighter, new design. It Should have a battery around 40-45kwh

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

The charging port has been moved to near RH front corner so will be SuC 2/3 compatible.

I think a lot of people must be like me and like the idea of EVs but don't like the idea of "radical" design. This car looks like a VW Golf. I like that. I like buttons and air intakes. We're in Germany so the 25k price for the base model might apply here. I just wish VW would use Android Automotive OS and not their own thing.

I agree, the top spec will be optional. What will be interesting is if they're hardware differences or software unlocked

VW are already making this happen with the new ID.3, things like onboard satnav and travel assist can either be bought as extras on purchase or you can subscribe for a monthly fee

While pricing is still unknown, that kind of model would suit the ID.2 quite well IMO. You can get a city car for around €30k which covers most of your needs, then when you need to drive Dublin to Cork you can unlock the Travel Assist and faster charging for a month

Or you pay upfront and they're permanently unlocked

Big question is whether the unlocked features will remain when the car is sold, or are VW going to be making money on aftersales as well

I doubt it'll have any towing capacity, only the ID.4 and bigger VW EVs can tow at the moment

Yeah, they're apparently switching over to Android Automotive, but that's probably the next generation of cars coming around 2027

The UI in this is very different to the current crop of ID cars, so it's possible they've changed the OS underneath

Yeah but we've seen a few new EVs recently with respectable towing capacity. I need a car that can tow my garden trailer. It's a 1.2t braked model but I could live with say the 900kg braked capacity of the Mégane. I couldn't live without towing of any sort. Loads of Germans have little trailers like that so I expect VW to sort it out. It'll have to become standard for Golf/Polo sized EVs to be able to tow them as their ICE based equivalents can today, and some EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You would be in the very minority.

I don’t think towing is an issue for people who this car is targeted at. Maybe a bike carrier would be required

• Advertisement

I agree with @ted1, I don't see towing being an officially supported option. A rear mounted bike carrier is likely, but the ID.3 can't tow so can't see VW making it an option lower down

I could be wrong though, we'll have to wait and see

And I've seen Leafs with tow hitches even though officially the Leaf can't tow. So it's possible there'll be an aftermarket solution

Advertisement