Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Team as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No Kelleher, probably for the best, Herring a top-notch replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Very very strong team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Considering all the injuries recently, that's a serious team.

Feel for McCloskey, he's played really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Delighted with that team, little bit surprised at Jimmy O a brien but delighted with Sheehan and Herring as the two hookers. Was worried we’d have two risky picks at 2 & 16

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The loss of Ringrose reduces the coverage of the other backline positions , so JOB just gives more flexibility.

But you are right , he's done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Very strong team. You'd just hope Doris in particular is at full power. Slight concern about the bench but hopefully the game will be won before they're required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think they'd be playing Doris if he wasn't hitting every marker with room to spare. It was being said, even by Monday, that he was fine, just as with Sheehan.

I have to say, I might nearly have started Murray again just to give an option of a big gear to move through by bringing on JGP, but the latter has been excellent and thats rightly rewarded.

Arundell starts, Farrell at 10 as expected, Tuilagi back in the centre. Dave Ribbans called into the second row as well.

England team named:

England team (vs Ireland, Saturday – 5:0)

15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 21 caps)

14. Anthony Watson (Leicester Tigers, 54 caps)

13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 55 caps)

12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 50 caps)

11. Henry Arundell (London Irish, 6 caps)

10. Owen Farrell (C) (Saracens, 105 caps)

9. Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 11 caps)

1. Ellis Genge (VC) (Bristol Bears, 47 caps)

2. Jamie George (Saracens, 76 caps)

3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 60 caps)

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 66 caps)

5. David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)

6. Lewis Ludlam (VC) (Northampton Saints, 18 caps)

7. Jack Willis (Toulouse, 9 caps)

8. Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 13 caps)

Replacements:

16. Jack Walker (Harlequins, 3 caps)

17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 78 caps)

18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 99 caps)

19. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, 10 caps)

20. Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, 4 caps)

21. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)

22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 21 caps)

23. Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 14 caps)

• Advertisement

So Farrell and Arundell are the only non injury enforced changes to the starting 15.

At least Borthwick resisted the urge to make wholesale changes.

I thought he'd bring Jonny Hill back in for a bit more dog up front...

Borthwick seems to think changing around his 10, 12, 13 will unlock this teams fortunes but when they're getting picked apart defensively and are second best at the breakdown having someone in the 12 channel that has no continuity with those around him and not making any notable changes to the back 5 seems a bit daft.

Maybe they'll be a different team with the two changes, but Tuilagi seems like a desperation pick and I don't see that pack making inroads against Ireland.

Plus, I wouldn't say many of his players are brimming with confidence. He's dropped both of his 10 options during this Championship (twice in Smith's case).

Every conceivable bit of rugby logic will tell you Ireland should be more than comfortable here, but weirdly it's exactly that sort of feeling that is making me uncomfortable!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Borthwick going with the same pack that started against France, bar one injury enforced change.theyre clearly looking for a huge performance to make amends for last weekend. If we can match their intensity for the opening 20 we should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Bring it on, Tuilagi pick kinda shows where England are atm.....

The quality difference in lots of place very significant but in the back row it is a yawning chasm !! Suspect our backline will be very much looking forward to running at every possible opportunity.

JGP express pace from moment 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ersatz

Englands only hope here's a flying start and a couple of early scores. Scotland managed to keep Ireland in check early on and with a few injuries resulting from the frantic pace they put themselves in a strong position. It certainly raised questions in fans' minds but they just couldn't hang on. If England manage the early part of the game as well their confidence will lift. I still don't see it being enough as Ireland seem like a team you'd need 20+ points on to feel comfortable and if we get an early score it could be a long day in Dublin for England.

Looking at the teams head to head , the only player that I might pick is Itoje over Baird and even then its a tight call.

English bench is stronger though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'd take the Itoje of a season or two ago alright but he's been very ordinary recently. I'm not sure that their bench is stronger - Cole is very one-dimensional and Marcus Smith has shown little or nothing at test level.

Manu Tuilagi has won all six of his games against Ireland. We're fucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Is it stronger? I can only see 1 or maybe 2 I’d potentially take on our bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Our backrow will have them for breakfast. Ludlam and Dombrandt were so far off the pace last week, they may aswell have stayed in the dressing room.

It looks like England are setting up to play rugby in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

England need to win the 6,7,8 battle. Don 't see that happening. With GP Ireland will play a fast game. I presume they will also aim to keep the ball in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Dombrandt wasn’t great against France. I thought he might not make this team.

All close calls on bench also, but would take , Smith, Marchant, vunipola, Curry , and maybe Mitchell. Again all close calls and could equally see reasons for Irish being better subs, but I do think Eng bench is good and has a lot of impact .

I'm just nit picking as we are the better team and hopefully it won't come down to bench and if it does, no doubt Murray, Conan etc will have huge impact .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i only saw the highlights but it looked shocking that he was barely jogging to the ball for penauds kick-pass try, gave the impression that he was making no effort to actually challenge or get in a better defensive position. granted he did speed up a bit when penaud actually got the ball in his hands but it was too little too late

Post edited by sprucemoose on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Surely you are joking about Mitchell and Curry (just a reminder, it’s Ben Curry on the bench not the Lion Tom Curry). Smith is the only one I’d probably take, although with Ross Byrne’s performance this 6N it’s alot closer than I thought it would be afew months ago. Vunipola in his prime I would take over Healy but the last few years he’s really gone backwards a little similarly to Healy so both are much of a muchness really. If anything overall the Irish bench has more proven impact whereas the English bench has a look of a bench trying to hold on and a mix of a bench designed to only come on if England are playing Italy or are well clear, no way Borthwick will throw in Smith or Mitchell of its still a close contest.

Dombrant at eight for England is a bit of a weird one. He's a player for a team who want someone reading the game and picking great lines in the wide channels. If their pack can't put in a big physical performance and their attack can't fluently get into space then they'll see very little of his major strengths, and potentially leave the backrow unit at a disadvantage when they're losing a battle. Maybe I'm wrong and he's far better in the tight work than I think but I see him as a bit of a luxury for the England team right now.

Ironically, the one time we remember him being in those wide channels for England he was too exhausted to track back and got burned by Penaud.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dombrandt did manage to tap both Penaud's ankles. It's a miracle Penaud stayed on his feet and Dombrandt would have got a lot of plaudits for saving the try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

he was almost walking when the ball was up for grabs though, fair play for getting back but if he had put a bit more effort in he might not have let penaud make so many metres

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I reckon that English team will get tonked, tbh. An early try or two and they're heads will drop. They don't believe they can win, that's obvious from their comments. If we get at them early, I think they'll implode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Consolation: It'll be the highest points total to ever win the title, overtaking... ourselves from 2018.

Also, something to chase in 2024

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

At 31 years of age a centre whose game is based on explosiveness might not have a huge amount of time left at the top table of professional rugby so I'm glad Borthwick has given us the opportunity to have the last word on this particular statistical anomaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭standardg60

Can't see anything other than a 20+ win here. When you have the opposition captain saying they've made a 'pact' that it's not going to happen again rather than anything constructive in how they might approach it, tells me they actually haven't got a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ersatz

Am I the only one who likes Farrell jnr more than I used to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can't believe Dombrandt kept his place. He could be in for a testing evening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

God I wish it was Saturday already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He comes across as a pretty sound bloke, which makes sense given his Dad

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Know lots of Irish players all speak highly of him after time with him on lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Well, they're not going to slag the bosses son now are they?

😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They dont have anyone else.

Doris is ten times the player dombrandt is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Did you see his effort at tackling VDM for his try?

It was an embarrassment and you would be pissed off if a player did it in a club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I reckon Farrell the younger and Sexton are fairly similar characters. For the most part, they’re on pitch and off pitch personas, seem very different. They both have issues with tackling too. Though Sexton ends up injuring himself, while Farrell ends up injuring others.

From more recent interviews I think Sexton is a more severe and critical character than Farrell. By all accounts Farrell senior has tasked Sexton with reigning it in a bit and being a more measured individual, but he demanded that from Sexton whilst making him captain at the same time. Next level man management.

I think from what we have heard, that Sexton is like that in the moment but is quite different off the pitch. It certainly looks like he would give himself a bollocking when he’s fired up. Though I’ve heard Ross Byrne mention how much he has helped him. So I assume there is another side to it.

Owen Farrell does seem a little less intense off the pitch though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Any animosity between the coaches or just paper talk?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,836 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nah that's just typical borthwick talk.

No matter what the question, he'll get his three or four bullet points in. He's as opposite to "off the cuff" as you can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Agreed he's not exactly what you would call a raconteur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I actually quite like Farrell, tbh.

There’s no comparison to some of the older “characters”, like Marler or Haskell.

Then you’ve got the likes of Hartley for his on-field stuff, and Vunipola for his off-views.

And I haven’t even mentioned Ashton, Mike Brown or Matt Dawson yet.

Advertisement