Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its sport and anything can happen etc etc

But Wales in 09 were better than England today, and Ireland today are leagues better than Ireland in 09. and we're at home instead of away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If there are individuals acting like anything other than a win isn't an achievement are either deluded, trolls or just not tremendously bright.

No one remembers the result in a significant sporting achievement, they remember who won.

What was the score in the NZ 3rd test? What was the score in 2018 in Twickenham?

History doesn't care about the intricacies of great achievements and nor should they.

Sure if one thinks back to Leinster win in Bilbao in 2018, that was a turgid game. But inconsequential because they won. Deservedly so.

I'll take a 3-0 win against England this weekend and be absolutely over the moon at winning the Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

I believe the delay in announcing the team is to see if Furlong can pass a fitness test - he’s had a flare up of the previous injury during the week.

Unsure of the reliability of the source, just saw it mentioned elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Where did you see it mentioned if you dont mind revealing? He would be massive loss and potential game changer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

A rugby fan group on FB, hence I’m not sure of the reliability but most speculation is generally accurate enough on it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've heard similar about Doris and Sheehan and Kelleher.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

When is the English team being named?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

If in Dublin and going to game or not Saturday and looking for something to do beforehand. Japan u19s who play Ireland in two tests next Wednesday and Sunday week are playing a warm up against Trinity in college park 1pm should be good game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Team as predicted, Sheenhan and Doris fit to start

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Team as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No Kelleher, probably for the best, Herring a top-notch replacement.

Very very strong team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Considering all the injuries recently, that's a serious team.

Feel for McCloskey, he's played really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Delighted with that team, little bit surprised at Jimmy O a brien but delighted with Sheehan and Herring as the two hookers. Was worried we’d have two risky picks at 2 & 16

The loss of Ringrose reduces the coverage of the other backline positions , so JOB just gives more flexibility.

But you are right , he's done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Very strong team. You'd just hope Doris in particular is at full power. Slight concern about the bench but hopefully the game will be won before they're required.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think they'd be playing Doris if he wasn't hitting every marker with room to spare. It was being said, even by Monday, that he was fine, just as with Sheehan.

I have to say, I might nearly have started Murray again just to give an option of a big gear to move through by bringing on JGP, but the latter has been excellent and thats rightly rewarded.

Arundell starts, Farrell at 10 as expected, Tuilagi back in the centre. Dave Ribbans called into the second row as well.

England team named:

England team (vs Ireland, Saturday – 5:0)

15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 21 caps)

14. Anthony Watson (Leicester Tigers, 54 caps)

13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 55 caps)

12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 50 caps)

11. Henry Arundell (London Irish, 6 caps)

10. Owen Farrell (C) (Saracens, 105 caps)

9. Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 11 caps)

1. Ellis Genge (VC) (Bristol Bears, 47 caps)

2. Jamie George (Saracens, 76 caps)

3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 60 caps)

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 66 caps)

5. David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)

6. Lewis Ludlam (VC) (Northampton Saints, 18 caps)

7. Jack Willis (Toulouse, 9 caps)

8. Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 13 caps)

Replacements:

16. Jack Walker (Harlequins, 3 caps)

17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 78 caps)

18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 99 caps)

19. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, 10 caps)

20. Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, 4 caps)

21. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)

22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 21 caps)

23. Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 14 caps)

• Advertisement

So Farrell and Arundell are the only non injury enforced changes to the starting 15.

At least Borthwick resisted the urge to make wholesale changes.

I thought he'd bring Jonny Hill back in for a bit more dog up front...

Borthwick seems to think changing around his 10, 12, 13 will unlock this teams fortunes but when they're getting picked apart defensively and are second best at the breakdown having someone in the 12 channel that has no continuity with those around him and not making any notable changes to the back 5 seems a bit daft.

Maybe they'll be a different team with the two changes, but Tuilagi seems like a desperation pick and I don't see that pack making inroads against Ireland.

Plus, I wouldn't say many of his players are brimming with confidence. He's dropped both of his 10 options during this Championship (twice in Smith's case).

Every conceivable bit of rugby logic will tell you Ireland should be more than comfortable here, but weirdly it's exactly that sort of feeling that is making me uncomfortable!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Borthwick going with the same pack that started against France, bar one injury enforced change.theyre clearly looking for a huge performance to make amends for last weekend. If we can match their intensity for the opening 20 we should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Bring it on, Tuilagi pick kinda shows where England are atm.....

The quality difference in lots of place very significant but in the back row it is a yawning chasm !! Suspect our backline will be very much looking forward to running at every possible opportunity.

JGP express pace from moment 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭ersatz

Englands only hope here's a flying start and a couple of early scores. Scotland managed to keep Ireland in check early on and with a few injuries resulting from the frantic pace they put themselves in a strong position. It certainly raised questions in fans' minds but they just couldn't hang on. If England manage the early part of the game as well their confidence will lift. I still don't see it being enough as Ireland seem like a team you'd need 20+ points on to feel comfortable and if we get an early score it could be a long day in Dublin for England.

Looking at the teams head to head , the only player that I might pick is Itoje over Baird and even then its a tight call.

English bench is stronger though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'd take the Itoje of a season or two ago alright but he's been very ordinary recently. I'm not sure that their bench is stronger - Cole is very one-dimensional and Marcus Smith has shown little or nothing at test level.

Manu Tuilagi has won all six of his games against Ireland. We're fucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Is it stronger? I can only see 1 or maybe 2 I’d potentially take on our bench.

Advertisement