Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the Left - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Nobody is gonna deny it, you jumped on pronouns being included in the LinkedIn of a shooter from April. In the case you referenced, he had pretty well established mental issues referenced them in his manifesto and had previously attempted suicide. On top of that he had a history of concussion injuries which has been been linked to killings. So you latched onto one fact to represent a much more complex case that's being intentionally dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭lmao10

He'll also have no comment about the far right scum that have committed mass shootings and used far right rhetoric to justify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If shootings on the right were also isolated incidents then you'd have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

‘Many people are saying they agree with me folks’

okay Donald

Perhaps people have no comment because it's not relevant to the subject of this thread? That perhaps a thread already exists that discusses threats from the far-right. There's no hidden conspiracy.

For the third time, nobody is saying far-right extremism doesn't exist. Nobody is justifying, excusing, or minimizing their violent atrocities. If I went into the threats from the far-right thread, I would agree with almost everything everyone has to say.

What were saying is that far-left radicalism also exists -- and this deserves to be discussed, too. Radicalism doesn't mean "mass shootings" or "violence", it means something altogether different, which I have already referenced:

the beliefs or actions of people who advocate thorough or complete political or social reform.

or

Radical politics denotes the intent to transform or replace the fundamental principles of a society or political system, often through social change, structural change, revolution or radical reform.

Some people can be both radicalised and violent, which includes the far-right. The far-left is more ideological and seeks to transform society and culture through other means. Just because violence isn't always involved doesn't mean radicalisation doesn't exist.

The people who have to leave the debate straight away are the ones who argue that far-left radicalisation and extremism doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

Earlier in this discussion when asked about the far-left in this country, you said the following:

Those are a infinitesimally small scattering of individuals who have no power or influence whatsoever

no country is completely without such tiny groups

Yet you disregard this principle when talking about the far-right, of whom it equally applies.

That said, no amount of your constant pivoting to the far-right can mask over the legitimate threats that emerge from the far-left.

I didn't actually say that so bit of a failed gotcha. 😂 While the far right isn't mainstream politics in Ireland thankfully, some of their crap has become popularized here though. Eg the arseholes in libraries(which plenty on here are fans of, possibly even yourself)and the attacks on direct provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

"legitimate threats that emerge from the far-left." - what a joke

so far your threats have amounted to "people on the left" thinking trans people should be treated with respect and kids in school being taught about non-hetero-normative people/relationships.

the pearl clutching is hilarious.

And a school curriculum he dropped like a hat at the first sign of scrutiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Update your views according to what , radical gender study dogma imported directly from the United States. Because their culture and society is a picture perfect image of cohesion and social harmony that we should strive to mimic over here ?

Well I got news for ya. The world doesn't work they way you think it does. Transgenderism is just one hijacked cause used by Cooperate oilorgicary to eat up opposition. Getting involved in culture wars allows managerial class to justify pursuit of economic gain. No cooperation wants to be made an example of. Social and financial insecurity makes competition particularly subject to pressure and easy to control.

Mob tactics through a climate of fear, intimidation, and punishment rather than persuasion has descended on the corporate world. All this is only enabled if there's socially divisive culture wars ready to exploit. Rainbow flags in the banks and buttplug books in the kids section. It's all comes from the elites trying and succeeding in distracting people from what's really going on. Redirection is how they rearrange society while the masses look elsewhere.

a lot of words to say not very much.

"radical gender study dogma imported directly from the United States." - ermmm, no. recognising that lgbtq+ people exist and treating them just like everyone else is not "radical"

And breathlessly and unironically goes on about corporate oligarchy like it's not an appropriated talking point from a senator from vermont.

the leftwing corporate oligarchy TM

Which consists of uhm... which consists of uh... hmmm

tbh, im just waiting for the inevitable "the jews done it" post.

but they call them"globalists" now cause you cant be saying the quiet part out loud

Nobody has "excused" violence. You're making things up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's batted away with "oh they are small and powerless and everywhere" - that is excusing it in effect. Happens regularly on this site.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is one of the main reasons the West is losing its way, because you literally can't debate with people like you, for the very reason you've just highlighted. Globalism is an ideology, an academic term too, whose adherents are of all races, yet if one of us dares use the term we're instantly antisemites. The irony of course too is it often comes from the people who say "anti Zionism isn't antisemitism", but as usual, there's different rules for different sides.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

When someone says that political violence in this country is a tiny, tiny minority of overall violent cases in society, that's all we're saying. There's no hidden agenda, there's no defence. Nobody is excusing violence of any kind, in any location, at any time.

This contrasts, of course, with what we saw with Sarah Jane Baker -- a far-left lunatic who advocated for violence against women and, guess what, has now had a fundraiser set up for her; with people claiming that she is a "political prisoner":

Sarah's case is a concern for all who believe in freedom of speech. The response from the police, probation and the CPS to her comment is disproportionate and reflects the systemic transphobia and silencing of left wing activists.

This case is important because for all the justified concern about far-right violence, cases of far-left incitement to violence are not treated in the same way by the same people.

• Advertisement

how is "the West" losing its way?

be specific please

When someone says that political violence in this country is a tiny, tiny minority of overall violent cases in society, that's all we're saying.

'statistically speaking, 9/11 was a very small number of deaths so who the **** cares' 'statistically speaking, the Omagh bombing only involved a tiny, tiny minority of our violent society'

Stop making excuses for terrorism. You don't need a million Hitlers to make a Reich, you just needed one.

"sheeples" lol

are you Jim Corr?

waiting to be called woke next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I really wish the use of "sheeple" was banned on the forum. The only thing it adds to the forum is to note it's users are not worth responding to.

I'm sure someone will be along now to accuse me of censorship 🙄

just informs you where people might get their "newz"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Funnily enough, this came up as a memory on Facebook for me the other day.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

The problem with BRICS in South Africa is that it is not supported by the people..of course the corrupt ANC are more than happy with the money China is giving them to upgrade their family compounds and designer clothes..but the ANC supporters are more and more becoming aware that whilst they struggle with a failling state load shedding, crime,corrupiton.rape.the ANC family members have their own version of The Kardashions on SA TV,,BRICS won't end well for Brazil or South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

There's a lot of opposing sides within brics which make it difficult to foresee the path ahead. Seems to be largely coercion rather than cooperation. As well as a counter initiative against decades of western backed wars and sanctions. The world is changing rapidly in ways we can't yet fully comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭nachouser

No point in trying to discuss with these lads. They'd never spout the same stuff in mixed company or at a work night out (assuming they actually have jobs). Just not-crossing-the-line-enough-to-be-banned bluster about "concerns".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Good to see Mike Godwin's woke theory so freely corroborated

Sure there are others for those that use sheeple.

It appears that of the imagined dangers coming from the left, treating people with different sexual orientation with a bit of normal courtesy is the biggest one for some

Advertisement