Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling on the Russia thread Current Affairs

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Official figures from where exactly, still 16% of Ukraine is currently occupied.

America did what and according to who .

The war didn't start a year ago,the second invasion of Ukraine started a year ago,the war was started 9 years ago by putin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Official figures from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).

For someone spending seemingly every waking hour on this you don't seem to know much stuff. Ten seconds off google would have told you that. But I guess you're busy hanging on Ukrainian telegram showing you tens of thousands of 'orcs' getting killed every day.

Have a nice day. I'm not wasting my time on some ignoramus like you any longer. Langley, Virginia lol

Don't use telegram,

According to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, as of 21 February 2023, 21293 civilian casualties were recorded, including 8006 deaths. The actual figure could be significantly higher as reported victims are confirmed.

This- The actual figure could be significantly higher as reported victims are confirmed.

Didn't read past the first line....

That's twice in two ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are alternative views allowed? Really?

Because even in a different thread in the feedback forum of all places you have people like Gatling jumping down the throat of anybody who dares say the word Russia without spitting.

And allowed to do so without a peep from the mods. It speaks volumes about the culture of that thread to be honest.

• Advertisement

I didnt read it there. I read it in the Independent or the Guardian can't quite remember. And of course it could be higher. But while terrible and condemnable it's not exactly genocide is it?

Plus my point stands all the same. You're talking about genocide and you don't even know how many people got killed in this war. I bet you also didnt know that during the summer of last year the Ukrainian human rights something or the other was sacked by Selensky because she wasnt making up enough rapes and she went public with that.

The thing is you can't believe a thing these days unverified cos everyone is making sh1t up or is leaving things out or puts things in a certain way and you can believe even less in a war. Especially from one of the war parties. I certainly wouldn't want to build my world view on it cos I may end up in a nasty surprise some day. Your Ukrainian hero Selensky and the people behind him aren't all what they seem to be is what I'm saying.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Then provide a rational option, on the thread, as to how it can end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Some might say that this is the definition of trolling & it's typical of troll posts. You throw all kinds of accusations & suggestions without a single, credible reference.

You mean President Volodymyr Zelenskyy ,

What's wrong with you. The last couple of exchanges were literally about statements and references. Which your 'brother in arms' was woefully short of.

As for the sacking of Lyudmila Denisova admittedly the jury is still out what happened there. Some Ukrainian sources report she was focussing too much on reports of sexual violence without having proof and others say she wasn't doing enough of it. It sparked a controversy around the credibility of many of the rape claims in any case.

To bring things back on-topic, not everything you don't want to hear or believe or can't wrap your head around is trolling. I feel in fact all those unchallenged and unsubstantiated claims of genocide are much more trollish. Things don't become true just because you guys keep repeating them. Some people will be looking for actual evidence you know.

• Advertisement

• thanks for turning a thread into chaos anyway folks as if there isn’t already a thread to talk about the invasion..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Why would anyone jump to defence of Russia?

If you think Russia is in the right you’re the problem. That’s the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is nobody going to even try to keep this thread on topic (it is in the Feedback forum after all), or is it just going to turn into a Russia thread part 2?

I can't believe it's got to 4 pages, 90% of posts being seemingly rehashed arguments from the other thread, with no attempt at moderation whatsoever.

I haven met anyone who said Russia are in the right. But Russia aren't the only ones in the wrong. This is a situation that's been in the making for a long time and Russia has been deliberately put into this situation where only very bad options were left to them. And we all know who put them into that situation and they knew exactly what they were doing, too. They only sneered at Russia as late as December 2021 when very credible offers were made to resolve the situation and they're currently smirking from the other side of the Atlantic. But you're not allowed to say that here cos then you're being screamed at by people who have the protection of the mods. Maybe you're part of the problem yourself of you think that's ok and you thinkyou're entitled to define what's 'the end of it'.

Russia have been deliberatly put in this situation.?

As i see it it was Russia that invaded Ukraine,not the other way around

Both in 2014 and in 2022

What did you miss?

Ye but it's not as simple as that is it and yes of course they were put into a situation. What else would you call it when an old enemy from 10,000 miles away shows up at your front door deciding to arm your neighbour to the teeth?

Anyway, like someone else said this shouldn't be just another Russia thread and I'm tired of it, too.

But they weren't arming anyone to the teeth,

14 months ago the Ukrainan military was small underfunded and under equipped still is to a degree,

There was no dialogue that would have stopped Putin,he decided a long time ago to that ukraine didn't exist and he was going to end ukraine,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who said anything about defending Russia?

This is the problem, somebody can make a perfectly logical and rational statement of fact but then lads like you come along and suddenly it was "defending Russia". Its a staggering lack of reading for comprehension.

The example in this thread was "If Russia are getting completely whooped then how are they still there a year later?".

Nothing about that statement is defending Russia. Not one single part of it. It is simply a question of logical thought, no different to saying, "If they are losing so badly then why haven't they lost? Is it possible they aren't losing?".

Yet it gets labelled a troll. Which to my mind makes the overall claims of trolling in that thread to be suspicious because if that is considered trolling then the whole thing is a farce.

I'm done here and I'm putting you on ignore @Gatling. I say that as a courtesy you don't really deserve so you can stop wasting your energy on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,557 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You must have missed the bestiality and homophobic posts then. There has been blatant trolling from reregs and newly reg posters in their opening posts. Thats what caused this thread to be started. So if you dont think trolling is happening you must not be paying close enough attention. They are deleted from the thread but for a few hours the thread is flooded with blatant troll posts.

There has also been low level trolling of misinformation and posters who spread russian propaganda without evidence and do not debate in good faith. Slurs about Zelensky. Some anti semetic dog whistling. But the existing forum tools / mods handle that so that not what this thread is about.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Lol .

Conspiracy theories are better suited to the appropriate forum anyway.

👍

Your last paragraph - spot-on. This has been a problem for years. Low-level trolls, once their views are the acceptable ones, just get away with their dreadful behaviour. Despite the "Don't be a dick" rule. Even though I'm extremely pro vaccination, think lockdown was obviously dreadful but can see the necessity of it, and I'm extremely opposed to the invasion of Ukraine, I would prefer someone making a sincere, evidence based argument opposing my positions or questioning them... to the impunity that five or six people get to enjoy, despite blatant trolling (antagonising, misrepresenting, lying, goading, brow-beating) and blatant breach of "Don't be a dick". They're quite appalling at times - it's sometimes not even low level.

That thing where someone is acting the dick throughout a thread, rising people, getting reported, and then a mod eventually intervenes with "Everyone, tone it down" - or worse again, threadbans one of the people they antagonised... it's just so frustrating. If they're not gonna be admonished, "don't engage" is deflection and gas-lighting.

Look at this - the dreadful behaviour of two people, but not a bit of intervention. Because they have the "right" view. Of course others got thread-banned (now maybe they posted something really dickish, but I didn't get to read their posts they were deleted that fast, proving that this wasn't a case of mod/admin being offline). https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058226834/transgender-man-wins-womens-100-yd-and-400-yd-freestyle-races/p96

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I deleted 17 posts on 19 and 20 February from that threa. The prior deletions go back to September and most of those deleted and posted on 19 February were not actioned until the following day

Most of the posts deleted were by re-reg trolls. Some were posts replying to a re reg troll. In one or two cases posters received sanction

Damned if we do, damned if we don't

Anyway this thread has not been discussing the actual "complaint" in the OP, which I addressed seme time ago. I propose closing the thread later today so get your swipes in

• Damned if we do, damned if we don't

that seems to be the absolute way it’s going tbh. You’re wrong for doing this you’re also wrong for not doing that.

My point was about the impunity that certain people enjoy despite blatant trolling. And it wasn't a swipe - it was feedback.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement