Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling on the Russia thread Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let me put it this way. Please report posters for what they post, not what you think they may be. We can see posters reported as "re-regs" simply due to a low postcount. Indeed I have seen accounts registered more than 2 years previously reported simply because of a low postcount.

And indeed re-registering itself is not an issue unless:

1. An account has been set up to evade a ban (at site, forum or thread levels); or
    2. A person is using more than one account concurrently without the permission of an Admin or someone in the office

In this particular thread there are a relatively small number of re-regs of banned posters. In one case they simply sign up to cause outrage, but they will use variations on the same underlying username which in itself will raise eyebrows as it refers to the address of the Russian Embassy in Ireland. Re-regs that don't want to be spotted will usually stay away from threads like that

And trying to bar anyone with a low postcount will affect more "innocent" posters than trolls. As has been pointed out the "open" trolls will post wherever they can cause most disruption and thrive on reactions they do get. Simply report and leave it to us. We are not around 24/7 and it may take a few hours to get to some reports and it's best if posters do not feed them. Just report and ignore. Every person that quotes these trolls makes it more difficult to remove their bile. We can nuke their posts with a single press of a button, but each quote has to be dealt with individually and we often have no tine to go looking for quotes. And when we do manage to delete such quotes we can then get posters asking what happened to their post which may be part of a long exchange triggered by the troll

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So you posted to get a reaction or response, 150,000 dead in 10 months thousands of Russian tanks destroyed or captured, hundreds of aircraft shot down,ships sunk ,

But somehow you think they aren't getting whooped and offered nothing else .

You obviously got a reaction then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Haha, you can't make it up.

This cesspit of a vile echo chamber with two or three dozen crazies all jerking each other off on how to best kill 'orcs' celebrating every Ukrainian tweets as gospel and mouthing off about genocide and baby eating Russians confirming every idiotic stereotype about war propaganda ever are defying all boards rules there are and ever were. I know idiots will be idiots and there will always be a number of them but moderation gives them not just free rein but paves the way for them. Be proud of yourselves <not>. This thread is a massive black stain on boards and in particular on boards' moderation..

But its the few dissenting voices that stroll in there now and then that are 'the problem'.

I'd actually be all for a closed group. At least the rest of us won't have to witness this.

Butt hurt over getting yourself banned,

Keyword yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If this is the sort of behaviour evident in that thread then I think the mods should re-evaluate things completely.

You just implied that the poster was a troll for daring to say that perhaps Russia were not getting beaten as badly as people think. I have no dog in the fight but how is that a controversial statement worthy of abuse? Because as an outsider I would logically ask the question that if they are getting "profoundly whooped" then how are they still there a year later?

I certainly hope the trolling that people are discussing is more obvious than the example given here, because if it isn't then I would wonder if it isn't the "trolls" that are the problem.

Of course, now I'm probably a Russian just for making the obvious point.

• Advertisement

@bucketybuck You just implied that the poster was a troll for daring to say that perhaps.

I said they went for a reaction and obviously received one and is now playing been a victim,a thread where people have 100s of posts, they back up their posts,

And someone comes along and says oh sorry chaps your all wrong ,in my opinion the Russians aren't losing or whatever is trying to get a reaction,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you continue to be uncivil here towards other users in the same way you were uncivil in the thread itself you will be banned from this one as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you are going to pretend that when you said "posting for a reaction" that you were not implying "troll" then just who are you trying to fool here?

Your follow up post just reinforces that there may be two sides to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

To "get a reaction or response" insofar as most people post on a discussion forum, yes... But nothing intended as being inflammatory, or being controversial for the sake of it. I just didn't (and still don't) share the giddy optimism of the most prolific posters, who seem to be enjoying the entertainment the war is providing them, with a small number of informed voices providing some actual info.

Given the attitude of a cohort of posters in the thread, trolls are what they deserve. Two sets of posts, both only interested in having people agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

The Russia thread is a clique of users running the show there.

I post there every few weeks, and am quickly reminded why I don't post there.

That thread spews propaganda, that everything is going perfectly for Ukraine and that it's inevitable Ukraine win soon and they'll all live happily ever after with the EU while Russia dissolves away. Any view that this war can go on years and that Russia have more men to grind than Ukraine is seen as pro Russia views and you get jumped on by the same 6 or 7 posters controlling that thread.

There's also that dude who's obsessed with the word "orcs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Right on dude.

But who are these trusted users? Maybe you could "backseat mod"????

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Do you just ignore Gatling "uncivil" response to his post and only call out the user whose opinion you disagree with. This is the problem with the moderation as a whole, heavily biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Thanks, P, but I don’t post in that forum much, at all, and I don’t think I’ve even looked in that “thread”.

I’m sure the mods could give a couple of, more regular, posters a “pass” to alert other, more normal, posters who they are dealing with.

Whatever the outcome, I would advise against bringing in any “restrictions” to the CA forum. Best to keep as many of those “types” busy and away from the rest of the site.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not true at all ,

But there is no alternative facts to this, Russia illegally invaded and currently occupying parts of Ukraine,the Russian military is multiple times the size of the Ukrainan military that's barely existed 14 months ago, now the Ukrainans have stopped the orc's in their tracks ,they have Liberated occupied territory and will continue to liberate more of their occupied territory,

The Russian military has failed at every turn ,they have lost over 60% of their entire tank force in under a year they have lost a substantial number of aircraft and this all before the Ukrainian go on the counter offensive,

Now tell me this how are the Russians doing better than claimed can you provide anything to back up your claims at all .

The same poster who's sole contribution to the particular thread was Ukraine is going to fall they should surrender now,

Do you actually know what's actually happening in Ukraine at all

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ElitesTeam

I am not 'butt hurt' whatever that is. I am quite in control of myself and what I say and for what reason. I am not even emotional about this topic. It's because I'm around long enough to know about humanity and people. I've seen the likes of you before too and it pearls right off my back.

I said what I felt needed to be said well aware of the consequences and believe me staying away from that thread will not be difficult at all for me..

To stay on-topic; I'm just very disappointed with boards and boards moderation. I have no problem with people taking a particular side on a political subject, it's a country of free speech after all. But this thread is bringing out the worst in people and boards is not just tolerating it but supporting it. It makes look a lot of things boards supposedly stands for as mere pretence.

While in general I agree with that sentiment I have no problem with Beasty thread-banning me from the thread in question. It's not like I didnt deserve it. What I don't agree with is that this thread seems to be some sort of Wild West space in general. The stuff being said there routinely you wouldn't get away with anywhere else. Hate speech, racism, propaganda, glorification of war and killing and cruelty. You name it.

@CalamariFritti ,

Hate speech, racism, glorification of war , killing and cruelty ,

all have been forced on the innocent population of Ukraine along with massacres , gang rape's of Ukrainan men, women and children.

Hate speech No , racism No ,

Glorification of war ,the war could end tomorrow of the Russians withdraw to the 2014 borders but no they are doubling down 30,000 dead Russians in a single week alone,

We've called for peace but the Russians don't want peace they want to eradicate the Ukrainans people and their sovereign state,

Genocide is fine,but god forbid someone might call a Russian soldier a pedophile or murderer ,

Simple bog standard trolling,

It's in the thread title

• Advertisement

I have no intention of carrying this debate over into this thread. But the problem with you and your claims is that they are unverifiable one sided war information AKA propaganda*.

Propaganda which you then justify all your verbal excesses with. So you're either not a very smart person or part of the problem/propaganda. I'm not sure I should give you enough credit to assume it's the latter.

What's that stupid signature about anyway? Are you trying to suggest you're some kind of spook or paid progandaist or something? Like some ten year old would? Like, aye, woahh, I'm from Ferrari, Italy. And my daddy's car is faster than your daddy's car. Seriously...

*Gang-rape, genocide, give me a fkn break. Are they eating babies too?

I had a feeling you would say that,

Typical stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Russia thread is interesting and informative, provided you read with care and balance the points of view and news given.

Yes, there is a lot of pro Ukrainian sentiment. Which is to be entirely expected as we are part of a European society that is appalled at the actions of Russia. There is significant support & sympathy for Ukraine and so hardly a surprise that this is reflected here. There are also voices that reflect concerns about the effects of all this war and the effectiveness of sanctions and so on. These are part of the equation.

Where there is an issue is with a number of accounts that keep appearing. Who almost from the first post engage in disinformation & pro Russian propaganda. Many of them are on the thread banned list whilst others just seem to vaporise after a brief flurry. Who can tell what drives them? Agents paid to undermine support for the war? Russians living within the state and 'doing their bit'. Another crowd are the Anti US/ Anti NATO brigade and any chance to have a go at NATO is their shtick.

There's plenty of room on that thread for people with alternative views but little for those who are intent on disruption and deceit. It's the latter that need to be stamped out, just like the Russian army needs to be stamped out and driven back to within it's own borders.

Ah give it a rest. What do you think it is you read here everyday on the major websites and papers? Do you think that isn't propaganda? Do you really think 'we' don't do propaganda only the other guys do?

If your answer to that is yes then I have news for you. Thats exactly what the others guys think, too.

There is this joke about the American guy who sits on the train with the Russian guy and they get talking about the war and propaganda and stuff. And the Russian guy says hey we all know there is a lot of propaganda in Russian media but really what I want to learn a lot more about is the Americans and their propaganda. And the American guy says what American propaganda? And the Russian guy says exactly.

Propaganda,

So let me guess Russians aren't getting slaughtered in their tens of thousands,how many mobilisations are they into now ,they invaded ukraine with over 150,000 men and thousands of tanks, armored vehicles, aircraft,

Where did they all go , according to you were using propaganda,well the Loss of thousands of Russian tanks, aircraft, armored vehicles men ,are visibly documented , from people on the ground, drone and satellite imagery,we seen the massacres of unarmed Ukrainans civilians , we've seen the hospitals getting bombed, railway stations full of civilians trying to flee the war , we've seen the apartment blocks being leveled by cruise missiles,

And It's all propaganda according to you ,

Some people say the same about everything from the September 11th attacks to the Holocaust.

Luckily for us the Truth is on our side .

Feel free to disprove anything you can but I get the feeling,

You can't

So if the Ukrainians are so great and the Russians are getting slaughtered in the tens of thousands and the 'Endsieg' is just around the corner how come the war isn't going so well? And how come since the Russians are committing genocide for over a year there's only been what 8,000 civilians after getting killed? Jesus the Russians must really be sh1te at all this.

But thats not even what I'm talking about. Here you can't even talk about the causes and the build up of the war. It all began a year ago because Putin went mad and wants to restore the Russian empire. and evertyhitng else is Russian propaganda. Thats how far down the propaganda rabbit hole we are.

@CalamariFritti only been what 8,000 civilians after getting killed? Jesus the Russians must really be sh1te at all this.

I thought you don't do propaganda????

Oops

• Advertisement

Well them's the official figures. Something you surely know spending day and night on this. Maybe the Russians should get lessons from the Germans on how to do a proper genocide. I mean even the Americans were well into six figures after a year in Iraq.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement