Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yes, but I am meaning from a tenant vs home owner POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

I understand that and agree with your point.

The vilification of small landlords has also exasperated housing problems.

I also agree with you when you say I don't see anyone doing anything to try and resolve the current rental market.

Whole country seems to governed on the basis of "likes" from some quarter or other be it the EU or some NGO.

Definitely not for the benefit of ordinary working Joe's and Josephine's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The only person financing the housing at the moment is the taxpayer either paying out a large chunk of cash on a mortgage or throw taxes to cover social housing and that model is not working... and as the cost of living increases in the coming decades as it always does it is going to be come even less attainable.

You need to start with proper public policies that recognise:

• The need for a proper public infrastructure around the country
    • The need to incentivise businesses to move out into the country towns and cities
    • The need for a strong rental framework that protects both tenant and landlord
    • The need to find other sources of finance to foot the bill to for housing
    • The need to accept that housing/home does not equal house ownership
    • And an objective that people should have to pay no more that 20% of their income to obtain a home in line with their station in life

And this needs to go hand in hand with a major revision of how pensions are done in Ireland because they represent the best source of finance for housing. This means pension companies should be required to pay out pension to recipients rather than switching to the annuity model. This would be a separate business and income stream to the pension funds they manage and would be financed by large blocks of rental properties where the income stream is paramount and wealth accumulation is not relevant.

Alternatively in the short term perhaps having the government securitise the financing of rental accommodation might work as well. But one way or the other the taxpayer can't going on financing the housing policy as they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rental income is NOT taxed by 40%.

Rental PROFIT is taxed by 40%, like any other business.

Advertisement