Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We dont have a housing crisis across the whole country. Look at the amount of houses for sale (and the low prices) in rural places like Leitrim or Kerry for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

know nothing of Leitrim, but Kerry prices have doubled if not tripled since I bought my house there 5 years ago. Everything that I was looking at land and housing is being snapped up, especially the lower end of the market. Homes are being revamped for refugee accommodation in the area I bought. Locals are being priced out.

a family member has an older home, which she has had multiple offers on, despite it being used as a holiday home by her husband herself and their family. What started at 80k offers 4 years ago,have reached 180k.

Also the demographic in this area has significantly changed, what used to be a place where everyone knew everyone else, now they don’t know people on the streets or recognise many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

With the state of our immigration policies at the moment and im not taking about Ukrainians, we will loose generations of our young irish work force, We train them up then loose them then wonder why were going backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

There's houses for sale if you have the money.

But renting wise, Ireland has a humungous crisis across the whole country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm not looking into specifics, but from 2010-2019 there was nothing on that road that sold for more than 140k.

That house is asking 225k.

That's the definition of a housing crisis.

You think 225k for a house on Ballygologue Road is indicative of no housing crisis? (An area I know all too well with family and friends living on that exact road and all over Kerry).

564 houses for sale in Kerry. Average asking price? Year on Year increase? It’s a shame that Ireland doesn’t have price histories on houses like for example The US, where you can see what the history of the house sale/offer/asking was.

i have a very active interest in property. I can actually tell you the housing prices in that exact road going back 30 years. 225k is scandalous. But if someone offers that, the good luck to the seller. That house will require another 60k spent on it to stop it being cold and needing constant heating on.

I hate to bring this back to one of the hottest topics going but the influx of nearly one million new people into this country in a very short space of time, combined with other arrivals, is pushing young people out, pushing working class families ever closer to poverty and creating a have and have not society. Combine that with those who do not work, are given housing for various reasons, and you have the makings of a future society of rich and non-working. Ireland is not going in the right direction. Working should be rewarded not penalised,

P.S. What’s the average job available in Listowel/Tralee/ area? What’s the average wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It's safer than most other countries, let's leave it at that 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

It’s safe if you have 24 hour arm body guards.

Wow, what part of Ireland do you live in?

Brayruit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Pay staff properly and they won't leave. But you think the state has the right to not pay them properly at all and then force them to remain in Ireland. That's called communism.

There won't be anything like that introduced as it's almost certainly unconstitutional and even if it were people should just leave anyway. They're not owned by people like Varadkar & O'Gorman.

As for your "accountants, solicitors, carpenters" not well paid in training. . . . Doctors, nurses and teachers must be scratching their heads wondering what getting paid in training is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That house is rewired and replumbed and a C3 rated house. It's a 4 bed house in decent condition on a large site.

It's priced at 100+ below build cost. If you get it for the advertised you will be doing well. It will probably make 30+ above asking IMO however I do not know the area. However I suspect Mr Flashy or the McCarthy/Dundons are not your neighbours.

Houses similar to that for 140 10+ years ago were 40% of build cost back then.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,067 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You think 225k for a house on Ballygologue Road is indicative of no housing crisis? (An area I know all too well with family and friends living on that exact road and all over Kerry).

And how many children did you friends and families on that road have? There's your reason for a 'housing crisis.' It's supply and demand, demand growing like crazy. Ireland's population growth is high; we've traditionally exported our surplus populations to other countries like the US, Australia, UK. Those routes are less popular nowadays, but we still have lots of kids; maybe not as much as our grandparents or parent's generations (though I know plenty of new families with 4 and 5 children, one has 7), but it was easier for our grands, etc. to kick the surplus kids out, put the girls in laundries, boys in priesthoods, ...

Now, the kids want to stay, they're competing with their peers for housing. No matter how much housing is built, there'll never be enough as long as the population keeps bursting.

And what is your narrative?

As you know I live in the US, I do not lock my doors. My house is open 24/7. My neighbours do not lock their doors. Try that in Ireland…oh by the way, no alarm on my home there. In Ireland, I have alarms, cameras (now) after numerous break ins. IMHO Ireland is not safer…based on my experience. Yet the narrative is that the US is less safe?

one US insurance company report is hardly a glowing report on Ireland’s safety. Tell that to the tourist who lost an eye, or was robbed? I’m sure he will tell you differently.

it’s almost as if Ireland were a glowingly safe , economic paradise, without issues and where unicorns bound along the streets.

Why are you ignoring the huge dearth of rental accommodation in Ireland. Only 34 places for rent on Daft.ie in county Kerry.

30 in Clare.

18 in Tipperary (which is insane if you know Tipperary).

21 in Limerick City, 40 in the whole county.

124 in the whole of Cork.

So on and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I live in Ireland, not far from Dublin in fact. I could leave my house unlocked along with the cars outside for the next year and would probably never have a person step inside never mind take anything. No house alarm either. I know of plenty of houses on this road where I could walk straight into because the doors are normally unlocked. So I guess I live in the safest place ever by your standards? I don't and your anecdote means as little as mine.

You would be absolutely mad to do that if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

You would be mad to do it anywhere. The front door to this house was left open once for nearly 24 hours by accident with no one here, and I mean open, not just unlocked. Nothing happened.

Used to happens now and again by accident the locknon our back door was faulty our back door. When the lads were young and went out we would leave the front door unlocked for them to come in.

Never an issue

Slava Ukrainii

I was not commenting on the rental issue, I was commenting on the price of the property.

The ussue with rental properties is totally different. Basically we build very little from 2009-2015. While rents were cheap college students got into the habbit of renting many that did not need to. Nobody share room any longer therefore demand is doubled because of this

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭reclose

Did the OP move to Australia?

The narrative that Ireland is very safe. Pretty sure if you went to certain parts of Ireland you could happily not lock the doors etc.

Just go to some parts of the US (where you currently are) and people have to have guns for home security. You won't really find that in Ireland, will you?

Just using gun crime, the US is by every conceivable metric a more dangerous place than Ireland. You really think the US is safer than Ireland, you own experience might somehow tell you that, but the data just doesn't point anywhere near that. You are living in a bubble if you really think that.

The report also doesn't say Ireland doesn't have any issues, it does, as do all countries in some form. But it is a far safer place than most.

It’s all relative. Is Finglas (no offence to anyone in Finglas) equally as safe as rural Bantry?

Yes Ireland is a safe country, at the moment. Is it as safe as it was 40 years ago? Nope!

Day to day crime is on the rise in Ireland. I can honestly say, Garda presence is non-existent. Where I grew up a murder was a horrific event that happened twice in my youth. Lately at least three a year in the past number of years. Personal crime is also on the rise. Certain areas of the “small” town I came from are devoid of people walking at night due to assaults being numerous.

Ireland is STILL safe, yet again though, the direction of this is not good.

40 years ago? You mean when guns were being run across the boarder for the troubles in the North? Ireland is far far safer than it was 40 years ago, you haven't a bloody clue if you really believe that nonsense.

You are literally making up things now if you think Ireland is somehow not safer than it was 40 years ago. Your experiences do not define a countries safety, I am sure you know that.

You claimed we don't have a housing crisis across the whole country but I reckon from the rental availability figures on Dart.ie that it is hard to deny the fact that yes we do have a housing crisis across the entire country .

Anybody is free to go to Daft.ie and verify for themselves county by county. In fact some counties are probably worse off than Dublin . The availability in places such as Kerry and Limerick and Clare and Tipperary is appalling. These are hardly major metropolises.

We dont have a buying crisis across some of the country but we clearly have a housing crisis all told and the rental market is well past a crisis at this stage. Its a disaster zone.

Being one of the accidental landlords who has just "fled" the market I'm familiar with whats what, in Dublin anyway Its a shitshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think the main problem is that rental income is taxed by 40% like the rest of your income. In the end, there are better investments than being a landlord, thus many are leaving the market.

I've been trying to find a one bedroom in Dublin for months now, and was not successful at all. In the end, I will probably leave Dublin, after having secured a job overseas.

Advertisement