Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The set up now, with having to find medical providers who are "In Network" is a massive hassle. Especially for those who are on one of the government plans. It's an issue that should be dealt with through legislation.

On a separate note, looking ahead to 2028, I will be interested to see what Roy Cooper chooses to do when his time is up as Governer in NC. I think he could be quite competitive with Newsome, given he would likely be more appealing to non coastal folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If TFG is successful in its attempt to convince the SCOTUS that Presidential Immunity is all-encompassing, Biden can simply decide to cancel elections (might need help from the Army to do that), and either stay president for life, or appoint a successor like Hunter. With Pelosi as VP, if indeed he decides to keep a similar structure in place. Might not bother with any elections at all.

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yup, that's the thing that. If the SC were to rule in Trumps favour re Presidential Immunity then it opens up all sorts of possibilities for Biden.

You'd assume that Trump and his Lawyers haven't thought of that, but that the SC will have

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Let's be clear here though. It would open all sorts of possibilities, none of which he would even allow an intern to entertain without firing them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They've thought nothing through - I mean Trump is saying that the first thing he'll do when he gets back into Office is indict Joe Biden for various "crimes" while at the same time arguing vocally about how Presidents have "absolute immunity".

Trumps thought process begins and ends with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Biden could also just go to Florida and put a bullet in The Chump's head and walk away with no consequences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One would wonder what Biden might do were that true? Sack the conservative judges for more centrist choices? Just write a suite of Executive Orders regardless of consequence? You'd like to think even proponents of the Unitary Executive Theory like Kavanaugh can see the potential pitfall here if they rule in Trump's favour. And not like they owe Trump any favours anymore - they got their seat for life, what more can he offer or threaten?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There are things they can't do because they are constitutionally prevented from doing so - Like sacking judges on SCOTUS etc.

But, if Trumps upside-down world was actually real , a bad actor could do whatever they want in terms of "crimes and misdemeanors" .

They could openly take/give bribes to get legislation passed by Executive order for example, with the only defence being Impeachment.

And the defence of that would simply be to ensure that 41 Senators were in the Presidential pocket either via coercion or bribery (or sycophantic obedience) ensuring that conviction in the Senate can't happen.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

JB Pritzker in Illinois is another one to watch for 2028 I think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are so many state Governors that are looking like they'd do well in a pres election now (Whitmer, Shapiro, Newsom, Pritzker, Polis, Cooper etc) that it's such a pity the DNC didn't start getting greater national exposure since 2021 even to mitigate the risks associated with running an 82 year old.

Even one of these as VP nominee would be so much better than Harris who is clearly unpopular and not going to change anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was going to say that I didn't think that America would elect an obese person as President in the TV era but then I remembered that they did just that 7 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Jaysis. He's worth 3.4 billion!

Yet Russia have Oligarchs...

😂

Family money - Hyatt Hotel group.

He's an actual verifiable Billionaire though unlike some others..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Changing horses mid-race is always bad idea. Last time Dems replaced a sitting President they went from 44 states won to 13..

Also Trump is older than Biden was before last election now. Trump will be older than Biden in 2027 is currently and should he win, nobody (especially the media) will be saying Trump is too old for another term I guarantee.

As for the choices you listed. Remember Obama, Hillary and Biden had impeccable political records pre running for president yet the Republicans with the aid of the msn were able to turn all three into the most corrupt candidates in history in the minds of many voters. Newsom has so many skeletons in his closet the right will have a field day.

Post edited by rossie1977 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Forget Pritzker, he is useless. Unpopular in Illinois and despite spending hundreds of millions on election to Governor is too happy at destroying the State.

Newsome is under investigation for stealing millions in California. Enough said!

Dems have a major issue in a majorly divided country right now.

Biden is seen by any of the die hard Dems as a liability.

Trump supporters, love the guy (WHY? I DONT KNOW!)

Hailey is IMHO a war monger and dangerous.

This country is about as F&&&ed up as it is ever going to be! It really feels like something BIG will happen in society, it's really bubbling under the surface. Many people are angry, where that anger goes to .... It worries me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

Utter nonsense in regards to Pritzker in Illinois. He won re-election as governor of Illinois just last year and won at a canter 55-42. Not only has he not destroyed Illinois he has in fact significantly improved the states financial situation from where it was when he took office. He inherited from Republican governor Rauner $17B in over due bills as well as the state having multiple credit downgrades. Since he took office the state has received multiple credit upgrades. The $17B over due bills have been paid thus saving on late fees and he has balanced the state budget.

Care to link to any information about Newsom being under investigation for "stealing millions in California" ??

Because I can't find a single thing strangely enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

This is another incident that calls Biden's health into question.

If he suffers a medical emergency only a few months before the November election and thus becomes incapacitated, necessitating the invoking of the 25th Amendment, would Kamala Harris automatically become the Democratic candidate as well as becoming President at that point?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wha the absolute **** is that nonsense!?

She walked up on stage at the end of an extremely good 33 minutes speech. That's literally it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nikki Haley anyone?

Seems to be closing the gap on Trump in NH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd love to see it but I don't expect it. If she does well enough she'll be offered a VP position and most likely take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

New Hampshire is somewhat unique in that it allows Independent voters to vote in the primaries. That's why she's "only" losing by an average of 10% there

A more insightful metric of where she stands with the Republican voter is in the next state after that, South Carolina, her home state. If she was going to do well anywhere it would be here and yet she still trails Trump by nearly 30%.

The problem for Hailey is that she's drawing support mainly from the wing of the base that wants to move on from Trump. Unfortunately for her that's a minority of the party now and so her potential vote is severely capped, well below 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep, she has a chance in New Hampshire but its small and Christie is doing her no favors by not dropping out before then.

Looking at her approval numbers with Republicans its pretty mediocre also so even if she was to somehow to get it down to a 1 v 1, I don't see how she beats Trump who is still massively popular with the voters.

Even if somehow she wins New Hampshire, Nevada is next where Trump has a massive lead which would be a nice rebound for him and then of course South Carolina where despite it been the Haley home state she is in serious trouble their.

Polling is dire for her and so many GOP endorsements are going to Trump, not because they like him but because they are on the ground and they know better than anyone Trump is the overwhelming favorite their.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fundamentally, given how the (christian) conservative movement has essentially taken over the GOP's primary narraties, I honestly don't believe a woman or PoC could win the Candidacy at the moment. Hailey's strident politics might read as persuasive for that set, but we're talking about a cohort of Americans who circle around the Gilead-adjacent CPAC - whose recent speakers have not only called into question women having careers, but whether women having the vote was a good idea in the first place (albeit via something of a troll, Candice Owens).

I remember voxpops with MAGA voters in 2016 and at least one woman plainly saying she didn't think women should be leaders. Hailey has an uphill struggle simply by dint of her own chosen ideology; she's entering a scenario, one she buys into, whereby her gender is an automatic ceiling - but she's different so please vote for me? It's a hiding to nothing.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Fundamentally, given how the (christian) conservative movement has essentially taken over the GOP's primary narratives, I honestly don't believe a woman or PoC could win the Candidacy at the moment

I am not so sure about that.

Trump MAGA voters are primarily the white working class of the US. Trump is not Bush or Romney in that he is some sort of devout Christian himself. His personal life attests to that. Look at what happened between Ted Cruz and Trump in 2016. The evangelical conservative movement went heavily to Cruz but Trump beat him handy anyway.

But I do agree that it's a long shot that Halley would get the nomination but there is certainly some momentum around her. The idea that Trump is unbeatable in the GOP primary could take a dint if the next three caucuses go her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Alarm bells going off in Biden HQ.

The election is a long way off and their are the usual caveats that offset this, such as polling size, midterms and Trumps court cases but you'd have to be watching MSNBC really hard to think Biden is not in a great place.

Michigan should be safer, considering how useless the Michigan GOP is and its where Whitmer has dominated , but ultimately the two things that are imperiling Biden the most are the economy and Israel and in a state with a sizable Arab American population this is a problem for Biden.

Trump wins this state if the election is tomorrow, but thankfully Biden still has time to steady the ship but wow if those numbers hold until election day then Biden is getting wiped out .

You must have missed all the various evangelical wings who declared Trump the "chosen vessel" or indeed an imperfect one who'd usher in Conservative changes. I'd be curious to see any proof to the contrary because Cruz dropped out quite early and Trump quickly adopted as the Great White Hope against liberal America. And that's manifest by many things, not least how Trump himself has spoken at CPAC.

You must have missed all the various evangelical wings who declared Trump the "chosen vessel" or indeed an imperfect one who'd usher in Conservative changes.

Via the USSC? That is the only thing remotely evangelical Trump has done but that is the playbook in the US anyway.

A democratic president will nominate a progressive judge, and a Republican president will nominate a conservative judge.

It was a bit of a freak of nature that Trump managed to get 3 in the door in one term, but anyway for the Evangelical types he was in the right place at the right time. I am not sure they love Trump but for them he delivered and they are willing to overlook his obvious personal defects and views if they get judges appointed with a certain worldview.

Trump is on the record of being pro-abortion, and pro-gay marriage. I don't think Trump cares at all about Social issues in the US, but will go on about wokeness and the MSM as a way to a) protect his brand with his followers and b) use it to curry favour with more conservative Evangelical types.

My point is, that the Evangelical wing and Trump are strictly on a pragmatic 'needs must' basis. Like who else are these people going to vote for?

• Advertisement

Just on Ted Cruz, go back and look at the polls.

Cruz dominated the evangelical wing of the GOP.

But the 2016 GOP primary was not normal.

Trump came in and blew the whole thing up. He managed to unearth a whole new demographic, where working-class people were to be his champions. How else can this guy win states like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania?

Look at Romney. Mr. Evangelical. Old school GOP. Evangelicals loved him of course even if he was a Morman. But now, he is yesterday's man.

This is all history and the GOP is now very different to the one that existed in 2016.

Advertisement