Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

When you say qualifications, I presume you are referring to LC, degree, etc.

You are correct.

But they must be confident, good speakers, fast thinkers, organised.

Of course, many of them have degrees, etc.

Anyways, are there any parliaments in the world where they are required qualifications? I don't think so.

Our approval of them is the required qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Stranger Things

From working with them daily. They care about people and want to improve everyone’s life’s. All of them could easily make more in the private sector. Some very intelligent and driven people there if people take off the anti-politican glasses . Also it’s a 24/7 job

"I genuinely can’t think of any other employment roles which have such a low barrier to entry for such financial reward."

Landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Democracy is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Those qualities you listed are all nice to have, they’re not a requirement; the only requirement is that they are popular enough within their electoral constituency to be considered for the position of representing the interests of the nation. They aren’t required to be confident, good speakers, fast thinkers or even organised and the fact that many of them are well educated is useful in terms of their ability to give an informed opinion on a given subject which they are familiar with. It’s not a measure of their ability to perform the duties and functions of public office which are required of them.

One of the reasons why we have the elected representatives we do is precisely because too often people mistake appearances for competence, too often because they can only base their decisions on appearances and promises, rather than job performance, which is why it’s an advantage IMO for the electorate that there isn’t any such thing as job security in being a TD. Imagine if we lived in a country where incompetent TD’s didn’t have to concern themselves with things like job security and the potential loss of income! 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Making it voluntary turns it into a hobby for wealthy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

MPs in the UK used to be voluntary.

That was removed about 100 years ago for the reason AndrewJRenko mentions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I'd say the genuine TD's are in the minority if you consider the many scandals over the years - and they are the ones that were caught 😮

My thoughts would be a combination of the following:

1. The huge salary and pension
    2. Build up a network of powerful connections
    3. Continuation of a political dynasty
    4. Use their position to get jobs for family members as "Parliamentary Assistants", etc
    5. The chance to "make a difference"
    Post edited by brokenbad on

I don't think Terence Flanagan got that memo when you think back to the excruciating interview he did on Radio 1 on the day Renua (remember them?) was launched......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

A few people on here have their heads in the clouds thinking TD's are saints, they are not underpaid and overworked like nurses. Their are some good ones but most are doing a terrible job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are an awful of easier ways to make money... these are for the most part politically capable people who would be well able to building very good careers at senior levels in the corporate world and I'm pretty sure most of them are well able to figuring that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So why don't all the nurses just become TDs then?

No one has said TDs are saints. What people HAVE said is that their salaries are not that high for the hours they put in and the public scrutiny they endure.

For the record I would think in general the Dail is too timid and achieves little but when they try to push so.ething through the public backlash usually pushes them back in their box so nothing ever changes.

The health service, for example, since you mentioned nurses. Everyone would agree that it is in a shocking state but putting through the necessary changes would lead to industrial action on a major scale with the public firmly behind the nurses and midwives.

The needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing a long line before

Because nurses are not going to be any good at bullsh*t and white lies. Public scrutiny is part of the job description and TD's get a very good salary.

The salary isn't huge, although the pension is good.

They earn less than a Dublin-based accountant.

However, they can make more on the travel expenses.

Think about this:

a lecturer in an IoT makes 93,987 at top of scale, say after 15 years approx.

So a 40-45 year old lecturer, in Athlone / Carlow / Dundalk / Tralee, etc. makes about 10k less than a TD.

The lecturer has 14 weeks annual leave.

The TD earns 10k more, yes, and only needs 20 years service for a full pension, not 40 years.

Also, the TD gets travel expenses.

However, the TD faces much more pressure, surely?

I contend that the lecturer has the easier job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The lecturer also doesn't need to plead for their job every 5 years (or less) with the possibility of completely losing it at ~4 weeks notice at any time

Depends on the individuals ability to handle pressure - some brass neck TD's soak it up like a sponge......think Pee Flynn, Michael Lowry, Bertie, CJH - the list is endless.

TD's can also "clock in" during Dail days but can be off doing other stuff as Michael Really Hey did when was caught out a few years back.......

How Did Michael Healy-Rae 'Clock In' To The Dáil When He Wasn't There? (todayfm.com)

The expenses system has poor oversight, no transparency and is open to abuse as we all know countless TD's who have taken advantage of this.

As Pee Flynn once infamously said "its a well paid job......try it sometime!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I disagree. By the literal definition, that’s rich.

Corruption is a choice. Decent people are not corrupt, the majority of politicians are not corrupt. Those that were it was because there was no deterrent and they were scumbags.

look at Michael Lowry. Corrupt and absolutely rolling in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lowry topped the poll, elected on the first count, 5,000 votes ahead of the second place. Increased his vote from 2016. The Tipp folk like independent voices. Mattie McGrath is their other big favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you took the salary and broke it down into hours worked per year Id say the hourly rate would be pretty average if not on the smaller side.

And there is no overtime, no premium for late hours or Sunday work.

You can go on holidays but when you come back the in tray will be full with a backlog.

Our local FG TD is not running in the next election.

He's 42 and has been a TD since 2011.

He has a young family and has decided that being there for them is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I doubt you can speak for all nurses here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭purplefields

Politicians always have the same type of personality, that makes them want to assume this position in the first place.

• narcissistic
    • ego driven
    • extroverted
    • assumption that they are always correct

The last point is of interest because I have found that the the more people know about a certain topic, often the more doubtful they become. Consider as well just ow dysfunctional the system is, where if you are not the above, you don't get a say on how the country is run. This includes extremely intelligent people.

Where is the literal definition you are talking about?* 🤣You could easily be on that income and have zero disposable income.

* I hope you are not referring to Revenue's opinion on high earners here as there is a huge difference between being a high earner and rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Another aspect of politics is that it is a version of sport for nerds. It's every bit as tribal as GAA and these politicians are almost all steeped in that tribal culture from a very young age. Just look at any debate between competing political parties on TV and you can clearly see the issues of the days are merely talking points to disguise from the real agenda ie get digs in at a) Fianna Fail, b) posh Blueshirts looking after the well off c) Sinn Fein IRA who have a boot full of guns outside the studio etc etc etc

IMO, a political career in Ireland is almost akin to going professional in football for your local club and that's a huge attraction for some.

I have great respect for the few that are obviously not animated by such tedious bs and actually appear to be focused on their portfolio. Simon Coveney as Foreign Affairs springs to mind.

This picture springs to mind with the above description....

Salaries are usually set based on the job and the various expectations and challenges you’ll meet in the role.

given the shite TD’s have to listen to and the workload involved the salary is (more or less) reasonable.

I don't have too as its not relevant, your the one who suggested that nurses work as TD's not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness he's not really a typical example.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a backbench TD is not doing any of that apart from voting how they are told to for the most part. the people who are doing are earning much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Item number one on the new course for how to be a TD. If you join a political party, you vote for their policies.

Advertisement