Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront with Katie Hannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very little of the CCTV from public transport makes it on to Crimecall looking to identify the thugs taking part in these attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yes, it’s on one of the RTE Player screens in the green room

She’s not that long over having both hips done, and had found recovery particularly difficult after one of them. She had no difficulty going up the two steps, but had to take a bit of care coming down them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Didn't see it this week, was Duffy on it for crimes against the English language?? 🤔

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

i heard her saying she had one hip done ,didn't realise she had both done. Funny there was no "100 days of walking this January" which was her gig really..... I thought someone else might have taken it over for the year as it had a big following.

Anyway looks aside, her points last night were very good and the only ones I agreed with.

Hope you enjoyed the night :-)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I have never been a fan of Ciara Kelly but I must say thoroughly agreed with everything she said last night.

I had a bit of fun last night 😉 The girl sitting next to me was in on it, she was having a great giggle.

Unreal. I think going by the looks of one or two people I know I now believe they may have got a few jobs done.

That girl who nearly died told the story a few times on Kivekine, and on that thread we all wondered what kind of husband. He must be if she didn’t want to disturb him on the shed… unless she knew he left the phone in the bedroom beside her or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But do people now have worse metabolism than previous generations?

Probably not. They're addicted to take away junk rubbish.

• Advertisement

she's lucky to have survived.

Ironic that she said "people haven't the money to live here in Ireland" (so they go to Turkey for weight loss surgery). But they must have enough money to buy a lot of food and eat a lot of food to get so overweight. Its just so sad as the answer to a lot of this is within ourselves.

Its not surgery or Ozempic. Its education about food and exercise. Its healthy living. Its not a quick fix, its just a healthy lifestyle. However people want a quick fix, they don't want the pain or hassle of living healthily. They want to eat the wrong foods, the wrong amount foods and then they want a quick fix.

Nobody and I mean nobody was fat when I was young, we were all slim. You never saw fat people. Its food choices, sugar, fast food, takeaways, so much choice of everything. So then we need drugs and surgery.... and people pay crazy money, and people die. Crazy world we live in, crazy times.

Nobody in this show tonight is going to talk about the elephant in the room.

I wonder. I know Hungary used to be the place for dentistry, but Hungary has for a long time been associated with dentistry the way Switzerland is associated with clocks and watches. Don’t know where Turkey took it all up, except for poor governance and lack of regulation so it was easier to set up and already a popular holiday place familiar with foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

Another problem here is friends and family telling fat people that they look great when in fact they know its a lie.

The new thing that medics are saying is that “it’s not anybody’s fault”. Actually one thing that is increasingly being recognised as responsible is altered gut flora which greatly disregulates appetite and absorption. Modern society has a lot of altered gut bacteria because of antibiotic use. Same factors that cause IBS and believed to be responsible for increasing bowel cancer in much younger people. Antibiotics given to young children seem to be particularly responsible for seriously altering the microbiome.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a disease apparently, you might catch it off a toilet seat 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not really. Most people aren't fat.

Some households are having 4 or 5 take aways a week now.

It's gotten worse since covid.

I just get upset when I hear people demanding our health services do more for obese people. Yes, perhaps that's fine in a properly functioning health system in a country that has its act together. But when little children with scoliosis are facing permanent disability and death through no fault of their own, through nothing they ate, nothing they did........and we cannot sort that..... well I really don't feel terrible about obese people. When young women die from sepsis in UHL on a trolley in a corridor because A&E is overrun, then I don't feel sorry for obese people. I don't think they should be prioritised. Doctors refuse to give lung transplants to smokers so what is the difference here?

I know what people say about it being a disease of our times, and perhaps gut flora etc but really that cannot be the case for everyone! One in three people is now obese in Ireland, you cannot say anything or you are "fat shaming". You have to tell people they look beautiful and fabulous when they actually need to lose weight.

Believe me these women think its down to looks and BBW etc, when you get older its literally about your joints, your heart, your cardiovascular system, your lungs, cancer risks, its about your life! The health system in 20 years time will NOT be able to deal with the tsunami of obesity related illnesses that people have. When obesity is called a "disease" it takes all the blame away from the person, its their genes, their gut flora, their depression, their childhood............its about blaming everyone and everything except themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Just in from a walk and only seen the last few minutes but her comparing over eating to depression is a stretch.

Saying "just think happy" to be not depressed.

Compared to eating less and not be obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

This is people that are too lazy to put the hard work in and just want to take shortcuts

Advertisement