Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront with Katie Hannon

Options
  • 30-01-2023 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭

Starting tonight, supposed to be something like Questions and Answers where members of the audience put questions to the panel.

Hopefully it will be a bit better than the complete mess Claire Byrne Live was for the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Michael McDowell coming to the heart of the problem. No documentation arriving here, fook off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Bottom line so far - we can't control immigration numbers as long as we're in the EU. This is becoming very very divisive a la Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,871 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I like the format...long overdue.

M

Yes they need to start thinking outside to box to stay within the rules, we should be able to change the Visa process for passport holders from non EU/EEA countries to be only allowed board a plane if they have a pre-approved visa, much like the ESTA for US.

It reminds me of Questions & Answers from John Bowman’s time.

• Advertisement

I like this guy, he articulates it well.

Your man had them well rattled! Fair play to him, and fair play to Katie for letting him speak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Most stimulating current affairs programme from RTE in a long time. Hope it holds up. Katie Hannon doing well.

M

Yes it's better having audience involved but the audience should be double that size to give a better mix of views, Question Time on BBC would have 200 or so each week.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

M

Michael McDowell talking far too much sense.

• Advertisement

O'Carroll McNeil is way out of her depth here. Scribbling away on a notepad like a child in class.

McDowell is spot on in what he's saying. Has all the facts and stats

It's actually a tiny audience that seems handpicked.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow some tough questions actually allowed to be asked, never thought I'd see this on RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

McDowell nail on the head there, 20% of refugees from Georgia. 14% from Albania, places that have free access to Ireland already, and the politicians have no interest in addressing this.

Excellent, harks back to olden days of debate!

M

Katie off for a smoke or ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Hannon finds it hard to hide her bias on this issue. She hasn't impressed me in her ability to moderate a debate.

Fair play to her. She's running a great show so far. She's exceeding my expectations.

You are doing a dis-service to John Bowman who ran a show we didn't know was great until it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its basically Questions and Answers rebooted, which was cancelled in 2009.

Only taken the RTÉ 14 years to cop on that there was nothing wrong with the format in the first feckin place. And yet the BBC have continued Question Time all down the years and its as popular as ever.

Katie is doing a great job, as you would expect, because she is one of the best true journalists in the place.

Yer lad Brian from Lismore did himself no favours with that diatribe, he sounded mental.

• Advertisement

One crit..she is in too much of a hurry. Too many topics to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

I can't hear this,but it's great to read some of you like this new show.

Someone mentioned John Bowman. I'm old enough to barely remember that we had some excellent presenters and debates in the 1960s and 70s.

Standards in broadcasting and discourse have greatly diminished in the interim, imho.

M

I can't understand what the housing referendum will ask or accomplish...will the wording be a simple 'Can I have a house provided to me Yes/No?'

Surely there should be a referendum on commercial ownership of residential property or the taxation of such in the country instead to bring prices and demand down instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Shinners going to solve all the problems as usual.

I hope they romp home so we can watch them make a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The show is a mess.

Too rushed, Hannon doesn't have control, and its the usual spiel of the SF lads shouting and roaring as if it will solve problems.

Yes any referendum should include a clause such that only x percentage of new builds shall be in commercial ownership, and that a commercial entity should apply for planning permission to be in ownership of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shhhh....we aren't allowed to mention these statistics, or if you do you're a racist , right wing nutter.

M

Michael McDowell losing the school playground vote 😂

• Advertisement

With the time available it would have been better as a single issue programme. But Katie did ok...will tune in again.

Advertisement