Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront with Katie Hannon

Options

Comments

I’ve millions of gallstones noted on a scan, certainly not caused by weight loss.

HRT is always in short supply here. My GP said “ask the pharmacy what they have, I’ll immediately prescribe it for you”. Background: I start passing blood in urine without HRT due to tissue atrophy, so it’s agonising not to have it and can lead to infection. So pharmacist says to me “I don’t want to be changing around your meds, I’d rather keep you on the original one, and anyway we run out over hours, couldn’t tell your doctor what’s available”. I put pressure on her, have enough to be dealing with in MS, she reluctantly came up with something else, but it was kind of a matter of “your tough luck” until I described what happens without the HRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They did zero research in to what people were actually thinking, you could see online there was massive support for No on social media weeks before the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Holy crap, listening to these Yes/Yes voters….wokeism is a curse. Thankfully as a nation, sanity and sane people (majority) may now be starting to drown out this vocal minority. I think people are sick and tired of listening to woke nonsense, maybe time for a few more referendums to let the silent majority have their say rather than all the crap that these people are trying to railroad us into.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Roderic O'Gorman was asked to appear on tonight's show, but was unavailable supposedly. The audience laughed any time his name was mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

were the yes/yes side trying to imply the majority of the nation were right wing nazis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

The ( self described )single mothers that appeared last night seemed to have a very poor understanding of the referendum. The 2nd lady who was distraught because she thought her daughter had to perform duties in the home and her son didnt because of the constitution was ridiculous. I was embarrassed for her.

I was hoping someone would raise the issue that these ladies could be deemed to have a durable relationship with their childrens fathers if the YES vote had won. How would they feel about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

O Reilly is full of hot air.

M

Could the below cost selling of alcohol ban nanny state bollixology not be working 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Ivan saying late bar hours is woke? How the fck is that woke?

• Advertisement
    M

Zero alcoholics will be in a niteclub at 6am.

M

Giving stats from during Covid is useless.

M

The clowness can't understand with the price of drink gone up in the supermarkets people have less money to spend in the pubs.

I didn't realise until the audience member said it, that Simon Harris was elected on the 15th count in the last election. Couple that with the fact that Fine Gael lost the last election, then this 2nd Taoiseach from them is even more farcical and arrogant.

Leo is jumping ship because he's a narcissist and doesn't want to face what's coming. Callan's Kicks has always called him out for this, and last Friday's episode was no different. They're all jumping overboard, they know what's coming. Harris will take this opportunity, poisoned a chalice as it may be and this opportunity will probably bever arise again. He possibly naively thinks he can salvage their image, and even if he doesn't, he gets a top up on his pension, as will the people who are made ministers in the reshuffle. They're rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

All these ministers getting pensions for life, as well as the 3 Taoisigh, their pensions, their security arrangements for life and other BS(e.g. State funerals down the line). 1 as a Taoiseach for a couple of years(was a minister and prominent member of numerous governments responsible for the financial crash), Leo, likewise who has never won an election. Harris, for at most a year. They're all a joke, all of them, that includes FF and the Green Party.

What a clueless waffling #### this clown is from FG. Hammering the average Irish person with minimum unit pricing, add on the deposit return price, and we're being smacked left, right and centre.

This guy from FG keeps mentioning Helen McEntee, as a kind of back-up fall guy. She has no business being in politics, but it's cowardly on his part.

Sheila Gilheany, Alcohol Action Ireland. Another waffler, she made some good points, but...

Simon Harris is the ###### that brought through the "Public Health Alcohol Act".

Another reason to despise this out of touch "government".

What's his name? It's rhetorical, I don't want to know what it actually is. "The Deflector" should be his name. He's a nobody from FG who kept deflecting responsibility for any and everything.

He said there were 300 nightclubs nationally a short time ago and that there's there's about 80 there now nationally.

And Katie jokingly asking then if they're trying to bring back the nightclub industry.

That won't happen, and I've previously mentioned on this site how the nightclub and bar industry is being wiped out. 4 out of 5 have been wiped out. Speaking from experience, that's more than true.

It's late, but I remember the number of nightclubs being far higher.

Maybe I'll find my own previous posts on the matter later today.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That’s a new one on me…. ‘Company perk includes a State Funeral’.

Seems you feel all politicians are ‘wasters’. Does that include SF …?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Every pension is a pension for life. That's how pensions work.

I know that, but they're going to get increased pensions as a result of this reshuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The 15th count thing is interesting.

In 2020 the Wicklow Constituency was hotly contested with 20 candidates chasing the 5 seats.

FG were hoping for 2 and ran 3 candidates splitting the vote.

Sinn Fein surprised themselves and everyone else when John Brady topped the poll with over 17,000 votes.

At the end of the day all the other 4 candidates had to wait until the 15th count to be declared elected.

To conclude, every schoolboy knows that each TD enjoys the same mandate in DE irrespective of which count they are elected on.

The only people who'll get increased pensions are those who get increased jobs, just like in any workplace. If they move from Minister to Taoiseach, they get increased salary and increased pension. If they move from Minister of State to Minister, they get increased salary and increased pension.

It's just like any other workplace really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

To add to that, each count follows the elimination of the candidate with the lowest number of votes, which are then redistributed. By the very nature of the electoral system, the number of votes redistributed will be small in the early counts (it wasn’t until the seventh count that more than a thousand votes were transferred).

But I don’t think it is something every schoolboy knows. It’s certainly not taught in Junior Cert CSPE, which is a pale imitation of a proper civics curriculum (not that I think most students would come away with a good understanding anyway). The reality is that most people are ignorant of even the most basic facts about the political system, and Sinn Fein are playing in to that, if they’re even aware themselves.

I don't get the point of your replies to me. You haven't told me anything I don't already know. Harris will get a pay rise as Taoiseach, as will any newly appointed ministers in a reshuffle. There's some bill that the public will have to foot at the end of this government's term, starting with 3 Taoisigh and countless ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't get what your problem is.

Democracy isn't available on the cheap.

Get over it, move on.

It's the same bill, regardless of whether the ministers are new or old. The pensions entitlement is proportional to time of service. So having three people serving for one year each has the same pension cost as one person serving for three years. There is a minimum service requirement to get any pension, three years I think. Shuffling ministers does not incur extra pension cost. You're barking up the wrong tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Jeez tonight’s show wil be fun, KH will be even more skittish (if that’s actually possible) dealing with this hot potato of a topic 😀

M

Not much point in having people on about this topic that live in a gated community far away from any of the impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Ms Hannon clearly has an agenda here this evening …!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Interesting times, people are actually allowed to speak now, instead of being shouted down! Great to see ordinary ,decent, articulate, educated people voice their very valid concerns!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

These people called inner city people racists when we had protests about this last year. Now it's effecting middle class Ireland everyone "has concerns".

• Advertisement
    M

And if you suggested people were chancing their arm coming here from the likes of Georgia or Albania you were called a racist.

Advertisement