Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 5/1/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The never ending and rapidly rising costs to the tax payer 2023 617 million up from 365 in 2022 and from 190 million 2021 for asylum seekers . People queuing to buy and rent all the government can do is supply accommodation gratis to those who in the main make false claims .Wow that is not great it's wonderful.

https://m.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/state-spends-188m-a-day-on-housing-asylum-seekers-in-2023-as-private-operators-enjoy-profits/a787123667.html

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It will improve when Trump gets back in the US ….this has all stemmed from a painfully woke Democrat government and has spread to Western Europe, you can see it in our own politicians they're almost word for word repeating the same mantra re immigration, minorities and trans activism …..minorities cannot dictate how life is for majorities, they just can't

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Sorry to read this Jizique. Country is really going to the dogs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Honestly believe he is the most dangerous politicians this country has ever seen. It's incredible the damage he is willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Every decision sanctioned at cabinet. What does that tell you?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Where are you going Jizique? I cannot see anywhere in Europe immune to mass migration over the coming decades. It will get much much worse. Same for the USA.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭gossamerfabric

No, in practice the Migration pact for Ireland will be a funnel to rapidly distribute economic migrants to Irleand from the southern and eastern borders of Europe some 3000 kilometres away.

The entire Continent is not in the E.U. and the entire E.U. is not obligied to participate as some Countries have opt outs which they should avail of.

A Country which is essentially an Island with no direct flights or ferry links to the countries of origin for economic migrants has the luxury of being able to be more selective in weeding out the economic migrants from genuine applicants for Asylum and in doing so is actually doing other countries a favour in stemming the flow of economic migrants.

Working alongside Iranians who had to flee their home over night to avoid being tortured by the Republican Guard and having worked alongside the offspring of Vietnamese boat people I obviously have a different view of what a legitimate Asylum seeker is to you but you feel you must shout down everyone else on this forum and shape opinion.

Your possess a lack of insight and a lack of humility. Take some more time for reflection on what Ireland's role should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

where did you get your information re what turnkey accomodation means, have you inside information from the Dept of Integration.

My understanding of turn key is new build housing, what you are calling turn key would generally be called refurbishing/ retrofitting large old properties into multii occupant usage.

I took the press conference reference to large turnkey housing to mean multiple story new apartment blocks, to be bought or rented off developers to house asylum seekers.

I am so angry at this that I set time aside to ring the Dept of Integration, I asked for an explanation of what large turnkey meant and i was told to check the Depts website, I said that doesnt explain what turnkey is, I then asked is it envisaged that it will be new large scale housing units and I couldnt get an answer. I was advised to email in my query.

And then you are assuring us that the government wont buy up / rent new apartment blocks, again what are you basing your post on, is it what you think is going to happen rather than any facts you have.

Post edited by maisie45 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There's also the probability that failed IPs in the UK will (or are already doing so via NI) come here, since the High Court has ruled that they cannot be deported back to the UK anymore due to the risk of being sent to Rwanda. I don't know if that ruling will be appealed here but given the current approach it is unlikely I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

It has many of the attributes of a cult. The "original sin" of progressivism is to be born european ..especially a male. Mass immigration is a form of absolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Very interesting.. but not sure how it relates to what I posted ?

No I don't have inside info .

I listened to what was said and they only referenced medium to large new builds not ordinary housing .

Yes maybe it does mean apartments but that's not how I took it up . Certainly not when they spoke about corporate builds being converted to accomodation .

Not trying to wind you up but that's just it ..both of us took it up differently .

Maybe you are right , maybe I am , we will see .

Also... surprised you got someone in the DoI as it was Good Friday ,not that I don't believe your Story .🤔

Post edited by Goldengirl on

@maisie45

https://www.thejournal.ie/asylum-seeker-accommodation-2-6338020-Mar2024/

For example the second section here details what they call Accomodation Strategy ..

They mention leasing or buying office blocks ,

The same in all the news outlets Examiner , Indo, Times .

Nowhere … are apartment blocks mentioned , so I don't know where you got that from .

If you have a reliable link that says otherwise , please post it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This is the biggest scam I've ever seen. The floodgates are well and truly open. I never thought I'd be envious of countries like Poland and the Baltics but they've gotten it so right compared to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

You are correct. Can't stop them coming in but definitely can stop them staying.

Guarantee once the word goes out that we are no longer a soft touch , and we actually deport people , that rush will soon enough turn into a trickle of refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

All very well to say that buildings are being bought to be put to use for asylum seekers but it cost the tax payer a lot of money .With housing shortage better to put such buildings to use for those to rent or buy in a logical world .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We seem to be heading in this direction though by signing up to the EU Migration Pact and with the talk of much stricter enforcement of deportations. Who knows, the whole asylum thing might not be as big an Irish political issue in 12 months time, if we have managed to tighten things up considerably in the meantime.

But it is cheaper than housing in hotels as has been said before which you know well is more logical .That's the reason why

.Neither probably is what most here would choose

I suggested same for housing and rental btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

The limerick uni acquisition of houses for students (massive overpayment) will be in the halfpenny place compared to the bail out of legal eagles, medics and various self employed as well as well connected funds when it comes to the purchase of commercial properties at their pre-covid valuations when these are now unlettable, with big investment also required to make then attractive given poor environmental metrics (think BER for offices)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

My reply to this was censored and removed by mods.

I will reply again in due course.

It feels like the hate speech Bill has been passed into law already, and I am not allowed to report anything from reputable German media, longstanding newspaper Die Zeit.

I am not going to Germany although I have lived there in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭thereiver

Go to any hospital most of the nurses and doctors are from Eu country's non Irish born many industrys rely on skilled workers that came from the eu .the problem is we have immigrants arriving from country's outside the eu or Africa There had to be a system that deals with illegal immigrants and sends them back where they came in a short time . .our economy depends on skilled migrant workers that work in hotels hospitals and other sectors .the whole eu economy depends on people being able to go to other country's where there is a demand for workers

Obviously we are in a housing crisis which makes it more expensive to provide basic housing for migrants

We are also losing skilled workers who are leaving Ireland due to the high cost of rent

Simply saying we should stop immigration makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭thereiver

Anyone that comes from an Eu country is a legal migrant , I think the main problem

is unskilled migrants coming here that are taking up rooms and hotels that are needed by people that live here already . I don't think the government love illegal immigrants I think it's hard to make a policy that excludes illegal migrants while also complying with international law

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The zeitgeist around this issue will likely shift in June after the European elections. There is a pan European backlash against the handling of this issue coming and it'll correct the course somewhat I feel. Similar happening in the Irish local elections and shortly the Irish general.

It's important sometimes to remember the current European Parliament was elected in May 2019, before Covid, the war in Ukraine etc and was elected in a very different world to the one that exists today.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Almost no one bar the ACTUAL far right (a tiny number) is saying stop immigration.

Most people know that immigrants are needed and in the vast majority of cases contribute as much as Irish citizens (more in some cases).

We are concerned at the fact that everyone through the airports who arrives without a passport is seen as an “international protection” applicant. There seems to be no political will to remove the chancers who are a majority.

Housing and supports were always a problem - 500 extra people here a week is making it worse, yet we see people constantly cheerleading for more people - and at the same time saying they don’t impact the housing problem!!

Ireland has had about 10,000 plus homeless for years - yet we’re allowing that number in each year. It can’t go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The housing crisis itself is the problem. Very few economists or demographers think immigration has caused the housing crisis - we have built nowhere near enough private or social housing in the last ten to twenty years and the buyers and rental market is massively overpriced by international standards. Thinking the chief way to solve the housing crisis is to tackle immigration would be a bit bonkers : it would leave a hugely dysfunctional housing and accommodation market in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭gerogerigegege

I think it would be wise to allow only those with the skills we need into the country and to cut our generous welfare entitlements. If you believe this should continue and believe politicans are going to solve this crisis after all these years, then best of luck with that.

we are wrecking this little country for future generations and for those already here.

Best of luck. I'm saving to leave. Not sure where yet, buty I'm not living in this failed hellhole dumping ground for the rest of my life.

no comparison. try building the infrastructure for 8 million people now and see how that goes.

we are begging Irish workers to ome back and build. you couldnt make it up considering the numbers that are coming into this country. what use are these people to the economy?

"....yet we see people constantly cheerleading for more people - and at the same time saying they don’t impact the housing problem!!"

There is nobody saying that, just some trying to paint other posters as " come all.. welcome "

Same thing as if I say you are "all racist for wanting restrictions "...its not exactly true .

There are people with different opinions but not necessarily disagreeing on every point .

It's just easier to write other people's opinions off if you can label them as extreme .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

One of the most prominent economists in the country, Dan O'Brien, seems to think it [immigration] cannot be, but part of the problem

Dan has a fairly decent CV so I'll go out on a limb here and say he's not stupid -

Dan O'Brien is Chief Economist of the Institute of International and European Affairs. He is also Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at University College Dublin’s Geary Institute and a regular media commentator on economic and public policy issues.

For three years from mid-2010 Dan was economics editor of the Irish Times, analysing and commenting on a wide range of Irish, European and global issues. Prior to that he spent a dozen years, based in London and Geneva, as senior economist and editor at the Economist Intelligence Unit, an arm of The Economist Newspaper Group. Dan has also worked for the European Commission and as a consultant for the United Nations and Forfas, an Irish government in-house think tank.

Dan was on a radio panel yesterday with the awful BO'C - There were 3 other panelists too (all on the uber lib side so nicely stacked)

Listen from 13:20 mins in

BOC does like his 3:1 stacked panels (the little scamp) -

He asked this yesterday "…have people not been allowed to have an honest, realistic conversation about immigration?" -

Asks the guy that let Olivia Kelly (IT), Fergus Finlay (general lib muppet) and Hazel Chu (does/says what is best for Hazel Chu) have their pro immigration rants and then cuts to an ad break and doesn't let Cormac Lucey speak - back in Feb. Pig ignorant thing to do.

Cormac Lucey (Sunday Times) is one that says it as it is

Advertisement