Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 5/1/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭combat14

oh no 1% is too low we should take in all 223,000,000 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This refugee crisis will be solved when the main countries in Europe are led by right leaning governments in a few years. When Italy and France etc start protecting their borders like Poland do this madness will stop. When airports start sending people back on planes this madness will stop. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bloopy

Roderick on the radio there in the last few minutes. Accomodation for women and children expected to run out in the next couple of weeks.

I believe this is what happens when nobody pays attention to the phrase The road to hell is paved with good intentions .

This is a clusterf*** of incredible proportions. Also, he said it is going to get worse in the meantime.

Fun times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

The tap is running, and instead of turning it off, Rod is scrambling for buckets. It's baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This is the type of bucket the procurement dept is looking for 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This shower need to be turfed out of government and quick. Will the real FF stand up and have some balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

He was on VM last year with ciara doherty talking about IP applicants using fake id to board planes and then giving the fake id back to the 'agent' to swap the photos and be used again. He said they were very valuable documents. Traffickers must be on the same plane to get them back, but recent reports say the fake IDs are destroyed, so who knows, Either way, this guy thinks the IP applicants are not to blame for trying to scam the system...

https://www.thejournal.ie/immigration-ireland-5990852-Feb2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's times like this you'd miss the likes of Haughey. For all his MANY faults, I can't see him tolerating this mess.

But FF inaction now is no surprise. Micheal Martin handed over the running of the country to Tony Holohan and NPHET not that long ago. His only goal was to not be the only FF leader who wasn't Taoiseach. Mission accomplished (from his perspective). Now it's just running down the clock till the well-paid pension plan(s) kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

O’Gorman also was to look for approval on Tuesday from the cabinet to accept up to 2,600 Syrian, Jordan and Lebanon refugees over four years as part of the 2024-2027 phase of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme and it's expected that 650 people will arrive this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What in the world are they living in that they think this in any way makes sense when we cannot even manage the refugees we have now

It's f-ing bonkers

And why are we on the fair end of Europe have to deal with this, surely there's other countries in the middle east that should be dealing with this crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

He's trotted out on the radio and in papers now and then, he has openly stated how frustrated he is about the new rules for seeking asylum because they limit people’s access to legal advice. It limits him from every opportunity to rake it in more like. He's raging that people cant pick up forms from the IPO office, take them away to fill out with the likes of him and then file them later, now they have to fill the forms out when they apply for asylum at the IPO force. Lawers, ngos and activists are scrambling to "beef up the presence of lawyers" at the offices. Their "early legal advice" is them setting up a future income. Helping them game the system. Ireland's an ambulance chaser's.

Cathal is worried. Feel sorry for Cathal.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

In today's Times it says a surge in refugees is a key risk.

But surely it is only a risk if the government lets them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Okay here’s one for you

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/up-to-70pc-of-people-seeking-international-protection-in-ireland-have-also-applied-in-other-countries/a1531570222.html

70% of IP applicants here have also applied for asylum in other countries previously. We know that 85% arriving into the airports have destroyed their documents.

How can you defend this day after day? These are clearly not genuine people looking for refuge.

Why are you so permissive about our country being taken for chumps when we’ve just broken another record for homelessness and we’ve an entire generation of Irish young people that can’t access housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭minimary

I mean how could he have known this was going to happen, everyone who said it would happen was clearly a "racist".

I would say they're praying they make to May when they'll get some of the student accommodation back, then they won't do anything to ameliorate the situation and will be back in a scramble come September.

We're so many years into the Ukraine crisis and they still haven't examined peoples claims, like what percentage of people here from Ukraine have citizenship/residency of another country? That would free up several thousand beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Well of course he doesn't, all potential customers

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

Well seeing as Irish water has to issue 300,000 letters about there may be carcinogenic material in your water, I personally saw it reported on all the major news websites, but couldn't see it on the rte one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

1847 - 8million in Ireland plus Northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

There is no doubt that will happen and i sincerely hope we get a right leaning government here sooner rather than later but i think we'll be paddy last again. I fear for our kids future if this keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Italy’s government is very much on the right. Prime Minister Meloni basically ran on a ticket of promising to clamp down on illegal migration and so far has failed to achieve anything of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's been pointed out that any country attempting to go on a solo run on this is probably wasting their time. The EU Migration Pact seems a much more sensible attempt to solve the problems, whereby the entire continent attempts to get to grips with the refugee crisis as a collective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭engineerws

I think it's a religious thing. Putting up borders is against the religious commandment of equity for all.

A parent understands viscerally their responsibility is to their children. They may try and help others too but their primary responsibility is to their own children.

Trump said America first.

A second religious commandment is that Trump is always wrong.

So the combination of these two commandments mean that it's politically incorrect for a state to put its own citizens first. The media seems to follow a similar narrative.

It seems like madness to me or a mass formation psychosis continuation from covid. It is the equivalent of supporting every team in every soccer league in the world and none more than others.

It's incredible to think that these kooks with this new consensus religion are running the country.

In the new religion, people don't even go to heaven, they are simply recycled when their life cycle completes.

That is why borders are taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Roderic is the epitome of the saying 'weak men create hard times'. But he's not alone. Most of our current political elite fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Very true sadly. The country is only going one way and that’s not to a good place. I’m glad I’m heading for 60 and have no kids - I feel for parents and young people, they must be looking at emigration as an option like never before.

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How would you " miss Charlie Haughey? Sure you could only have been 8 or 10 years old when he was in power if that so what do you know about it ?

He was a corrupt man who overtly lined the pockets of his family and friends and stuck a finger up to ordinary tax payers in this country .

Whatever about the crowd now at least there are some checks and balances .

Surprised to read this from you .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jeez anyone would think that the only people here worried about our country are those posting hysteria about "plantations" and thousands of Nigerians !

It was already said back in January that Nigeria is next on the list to be declared as safe , and only wasn't done so on the last occasion because McEntee said her department was snowed under , ensuring it was legally enforceable as with the other countries that were already put on the safe list .

Think they have to make a better case for Nigeria than some others because with the current regime in power it is a grey area , or they will be faced with too many legal counter claims , making it impossible to fast track .

She has said that the list is being reviewed now again so all the hype about Nigerians is just that...hype .

Turnkey accomodation ....as mentioned by O' Gorman refers to medium to large properties for multiple occupants , not private single homes as a few are pretending .

Those older hotels/ big houses that will never be returning to the tourist market and indeed many had not been functioning as such for a good few years, will be bought by the government for asylum accomodation. Their owners will have to have them' turnkey ready 'though , which puts the onus on them , and they won't be screwing thousands from the tax payer for years to come like McEnaney .

This is a good thing is it not ? An improvement that somehow is being hailed here by the very people who complained about owners making a fortune out of asylum accomodation . ( Those posts are here on the thread if anybody is curious about it for all to see !)

It was a big upset that hotels that were in use were being taken to be used as asylum accomodation .

All of this information is freely available for anybody to read if you choose to read something other than social media or trash news sites .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1800_Ladladlad threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Jizique

Sixty this year and emigrating with my wife and our 12 year old - came back before in 1997 but have had enough and want to live rest of my life (our lives) away from here as things will only get worse over the next decade

Sad to hear and I don’t think your story will be unique. Safe trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I live 5 months away from Ireland each year every time I come back I see the changes even in that short period .

Advertisement