Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 5/1/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm watching McEntee and O'Gormans press conference and I can't believe what I'm hearing. The department of integration are planning to go to into the market and buy up turn key or near turn key accommodation for asylum seekers.

As someone who is paying a mortgage after a long and stressful search, after paying through the nose for rent that stressed finances and relationships for many years this is an absolute kick in the teeth. It's absolutely outrageous.

Don't let anyone say now that AS accommodation is not putting pressure on the housing market. You'll have to compete with DCEDIY now.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Oh my stars, they really do not have the first clue!!!

It's estimated by O'Gormless himself that around 15,000 per year will be coming in and his plan is 14,000 in four years ? Only 46,000 beds short - and that's assuming he was accurate which I wouldn't put the rent money on.

At what point will the penny drop that a plan needs to be discussed to reduce the number coming in ?? Job 1 would be starting to be more discriminating and accepting that purely economic migrants need to be turned back - the laws are there, the will just needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Also the ESRI saying 2/3 of people are living in houses that they have designated as too big for them. Get fooked after working your ass off to buy, you should be giving it to randoms who'll get it for free and you go live in a shoe box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

How do you think they would look on a troicare box. Designer gear and top of the range phones. Do you think many would put anything into the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s unbelievably mental stuff.

She said in that conference due to our history we have an onus - who the hell does she think she is to put that on the nation?

• Advertisement

Your not being misquoted at all .

And of course asylum seekers and other migrants add massive pressure on the housing situation.

I'm fortunate that I'm out of the housing search but for those trying to scrape a deposit together it must be sickening.

I've just built but I fear for my children and siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

'Whenever I wanted to know what the Irish people wanted, I only had to examine my own heart and it told me straight off what the Irish people wanted" Dev.

I really though we'd moved on from the days of dev. But Rodders and McEntee know what's best for us. (But in the real world this is as damaging or more so than dev and the church in cahoots).

At least Dev may have asked one or two constituents before quadrupling budgets to build on state land in a time when there is the lowest amount of houses available to purchase in the history of daft.ie and the highest rents -

( tried to find a link showing it from a news source but did not find anything not localized )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard some discussion of the proposed EU joint policy on immigration earlier - this initiative: https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2023/12/20/eu-strikes-major-deal-to-reform-migration-policy-after-three-years-of-bitter-debates

Mattie McGrath was sounding out a familiar warning about rushing things through the Dail without proper scrutiny. Barry Ward FGer blithely assuring that no problem and this will strengthen our response.

Do the government not realise there has been a major loss in confidence in them? I certainly don't trust either their judgement or their competence in such matters anymore. And given the ongoing shenanigans in Ward's party, on no account should they be ramming anything like this through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Helon this morning on the EU Migration Pact

“So it's really important that we opt-in to this at the earliest stage possible, that we're ready when this is fully implemented in two years’ time, but in particular that we're not left alone as a country to deal with this challenge.”

Despite pushback from independent TDs and others warning that the Government cannot opt-in to the pact without a full debate in on immigration Dáil. She said the legislation will go before the Dáil, the Seanad and the Justice Committee before it is passed. No debate whatsoever.

“But let's be clear here,” .... “If we don’t opt in, then we’re not part of an EU wide system."....“We’re not part of a mandatory system, which means that people can be processed and if they receive a negative decision, returned home more quickly.” ... “If we’re not part of this, then there will be no agreement with any other Member States to return people where they already have asylum in another country.“... Ireland must opt-in to the EU’s new asylum and migration pact to ensure “we're not left alone as a country to deal with this challenge”

People do not realize that the pact will make the Dublin III Regulation reducant so we either opt-in to make it easier to send bogus applicants back or we're stuck with them it seems. Also she doesn't make it clear about paying for them to be relocated

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why do they always reject any debate on immigration, what are they afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And yet we were told that was "far right conspiracy stuff" not that long ago. It's been bad enough that Councils have been buying up private housing for several years now for social housing (3 out of the 4 in my row are now in this category) rather than building, but now this as well!

The thing to remember of course is it's NOT actually the Councils or Department buying these houses. WE are. If you're in the market for a house then just know that your taxes are now being used against you. It was hard enough competing with other private buyers, investment funds and NGOs but now the Government itself is now competing against you using your own money!

State land that could have been used for social and affordable housing will now be used for this. Most likely rammed through by ministerial order so no planning required either.

I can't see this being anywhere near enough to dampen community anger. Most likely will make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's the other point.

Ordinary homeowners are made jump through hoops to get planning permission, but the entire process has been circumvented for modular housing (which we were told previously wasn't suitable), repuposing of commercial units and fields for accomodation and now this latest move.

It's no wonder people are angry. At this point I think it's time for large-scale Irish Water style public marches and protests. EVERYONE (even if they're too short sighted to see it!) is affected by this, but change can be forced if we really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

It won't change because they are not listening. You could try organise a few thousand people to march on the dail but every single one will be labelled far right. It would attract a bad element and that's what would be focused on, not a peaceful demonstration.

The state listens to a very select group of people. Just 2 electoral areas in the entire country went against the grain and just about supported the recent referendum. Everyone else was pretty much a similar voting preference, a significant no vote. It's no coincidence that this is where a lot of those with big money reside and the least affected by the tide of daily arrivals. That's who they are listening to.

We have no opposition in the Dail on this problem. They are on the exact same hymn sheet. It's time for a clear out but who do you vote for to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Confusion here.

Legal migrant healthcare workers from Africa, SE Asia, India, etc Versus illegal economic migrants pretending to be refugees with little or no skills to offer the economy. BIG different.

99.99% of the country support legal migrant workers in all industry. We need them to fill the service, industry and healthcare workers gap. And let us not forget we have plenty of our native fellows who wont get off benefits to fill some of the worker gaps.

And to think she was mentioned for Leo's position when he was pushed.

No wonder the country is in the mess it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

'Illegal' migrants would still be perfectly employable though - just as the undocumented Irish in the US were. If the accusation is that asylum seekers are in truth 'economic migrants', wouldn't that make them potentially good employees in fact i.e. they want to work and earn a wage?

• Advertisement

Do the undocumented in the US get free accommodation free health care free food, transport and free medical services.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Absolutely not!!!!

Why would we ever want to normalize law breaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not suggesting that we should be allowing undocumented people to work, but merely questioning the narrative that such people would be unemployable. If anyone is young, fit and healthy and not struggling with mental health problems or drug addiction etc, they would surely be able to hold down a job.

Or prisons, or hospitals or any amount of other things for the greater good of society.

In irelands case no way.

we have labor shortages in key areas such as nursing and construction - we have enough unskilled labor and our own army of arse scratchers that could be mobilized if a shortage did arise. The only people you will hear moaning of make believe staff shortages in the unskilled world are hoteliers and the likes who can’t treat workers like absolute muck anymore due to people having plenty of work options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭batman_oh

And if you look at the CSO breakdown that was posted where certain nationalities have 50%+ unemployment rates when they come here clearly they aren't particularly efficient at filling key labour shortages. Just like thousands in Sweden aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can very well believe the Greens have come up with a scheme as hare-brained as this 😁

Even if you completely put aside the immigration aspect it's hilariously bad.

The commercial property market is crashing and he's proposing using taxpayers cash to bail out banks, speculators and property developers who can't shift this rapidly devaluing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You misquoted me.

And now you are denying it.

I NEVER said that it was UK or EU migrants wearing what you call designer clothes!

Why would I? That was an entirely different conversation about migrants from UK and EU who are entitled to claim sw here, in EU case for 3months.

The discussion , centred around you slagging asylum seekers who you say were wearing ' designer clothes and runners', as if this fact meant that they did not need benefits!

That was your entire conversation with me and others over the last 2 days which is facile and pointless but appears that is what you like to discuss.

I countered this by saying people in a hurry wear their best and pack light, and then you start with another poster about beggars wearing 'the designer gear' you say again.

It was clearly conflating migrants who beg, who are not asylum seekers at all.. Changing goalposts because you had clearly lost the room on the first discussion and wanted to dogwhistle about migrant beggars.

But your mistaken involving me in that or mentioning it, because I was never in that second part of the discussion.

That was between you and two other posters.

You are also mistaken in that you are showing everyone that you only speak in soundbites and can't progress a discussion without getting mixed up. And conflating and misquoting.

On the other issue which you are doubling down on..

I think its encumbent on you, as you are accusing me, to quote the exact post and say when and where it was posted so I have the right to reply.

Otherwise its another groundless, facile complaint

Why read a line of a post and rush to attack rather than trying to understand anyone else's position?

And on that note, I or other posters don't have to say ' what they" are advocating for " nor should you be assigning people to" them or us" camps.

That is a very immature way to conduct a discussion.

There are people here who agree with some things and they also agree with others and that is entirely their prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Did she really say " no debate whatsoever "?

I have not read that anywhere else except your post above which doesn't quote a link .

This is what I have seen from Newstalk abd the Irush Examiner et al quoting the same sentences but not that phrase ...

Because reading that it looks like she will introduce legislation before the cabinet , which IS going through the Dáil and Seanad .before it goes to the Chief Justice.. so why say there is no debate ?

It doesn't go through without debate , does it ?

So where did you get that phrase there " no debate whatsoever "? Did you add that yourself or is that from a source ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

malinheader threadbanned

Advertisement