Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭gral6

If PBP were in power, tent, full of refugees, would've been outside every house. Refugee would be living in every vacant room in the house.

This useless crowd PBP, including Paul Murphy will be gone with the wind soon. Still remember how they tried to lock us down forever during Covid, mandatory hotel quarantine for every arrival into the State, including ones coming from NI. Attempts to shut down Intel with 5 000 employees. Hilarious, they are far worse than current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Of course they will sprout everywhere, as long as the capacity in the processing centres does not exist.

What we need now is hard timelines for delivery of capacity to meet demand, but I am hearing that the 6 reception centres are still 18 months or more away.

So between now and then, it will be crisis management with a significant rise in tents on the streets, sadly.

I guess empty office blocks will be the new interim measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sunjava

A few empty rooms in the intercontinental nearby...great chef there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭tom23

Personally I don’t care where they house IPAs except in housing estates to private landlords. If it goes that way it will cause untold damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Will0483

The English will argue (correctly in my view) that the French are dumping their problems on them. In reality, African nations are dumping some of their excess population on Europe aided by people smugglers.

The obvious solutions haven't been used as many European nations were run by left-wing idealogues.

Luckily for Europe, most of these have been turfed out so there's some chance that major European cities won't turn into 3rd world ghettos in our lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Will0483

That money is well spent as it dissuades hundreds of thousands of potential asylum seekers from coming who would likely cost 400k each.

It's a bit like a nuclear deterrent. Expensive in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭gral6

The Government has announced that a review of payments made to migrants will be carried out "within weeks". - RTE

It was supposed to be done years ago but not in foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 37 boredyooser

I'm afraid this is where you are wrong. Why did Roderic translate his introduction into languages such as Arabic, Albanian, Somalian, Urdu. So people in foreign countries considering " fleeing " to Ireland could read it.

As we know, according to those on the left, the vast majority of Asylum Seekers, when the left are not framing them as desperate people fleeing war requiring accommodation/healthcare/benefits/legal aid/interpreters/culturally sensitive meals, and the locals whose areas they have moved into are sensitive to their culture and moderate their behavior,, are, simultaneously, in a case of " Schrodinger's Asylum Seeker " highly educated nuclear physicists, architects, neurosurgeons, astronomers, molecular biologists, highly educated and resourceful individuals, who have made long and dangerous journeys specifically to enrich Irish society and bring it culture it so lacks.

They are resourceful people who do their homework, and know far more about immigration law than you or I, even " case law " such as " The Surinder Singh Route "

If you are in any doubt as to how resourceful and knowledgeable some folk are about immigration / asylum law, rights and loopholes, why not pop along to " https://www.immigrationboards.com/ " and peruse the threads pertaining to the UK, where a remarkable knowledge of the ins and outs of the system is displayed, and statuses, options and loopholes are discussed.

As to nobody in Ireland ever reading it ? Well they should, if they want to see what their elected officials they pay with their taxes have planned for the future of Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Thats why you think he translated an introduction? For all the asylum seekers that read various white papers that government give out? If that's the case, then why not translate the whole thing? You know so they could understand everything? You know why, because it was a little 'nice nod ' to the various charities, organisations etc that were invited to take part/receive a copy.

As I said, if comparing the uk government website to something, then it should be the Irish government website.

as for your issue with a website helping people to immigrate? I hope you never see all the assistance and advise given to Irish people who emigrate! Maybe we should shut down Google also......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What about nursing homes? Has to be driving up costs with less competition in the market.

• Advertisement

You mean during processing? If their application is succesful, or course they will then be housed in housing estates.

during processing. In desperation trying to find housing government will out bid everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

They still shouldn't be, people who have not contributed to the country shouldn't be housed in place of private renters.

And yes in an ideal world I would do the same to Irish people who have never contributed

Realistically thats never going to happen though, so we have to plan for reality.

if it did happen you would have 20k to 30k new asylum seekers every year living in tents on the streets of every town and village in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

If you have 20k to 30k of asylum seekers being accommodated on housing estates that's almost our entire housing stock gone for the year. That isn't feasible or sustainable.

Custom built smaller lower standard accommodation might be something to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

True, in addition this model of accommodation would be practical if the State were to explore implementing reduced protection time-limits, reviews of protection status, and repatriation.

If about 25% of applications are successful we would be looking at 5k to 8k to be housed, but yes, some form of modular homes may well be part of the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 boredyooser

" Thats why you think he translated an introduction? For all the asylum seekers that read various white papers that government give out? If that's the case, then why not translate the whole thing? You know so they could understand everything? You know why, because it was a little 'nice nod ' to the various charities, organisations etc that were invited to take part/receive a copy. "

I would imagine that the various charities and organisations that were invited to take part can read it perfectly well in English, given they are probably of the well eductated non job class.

I think it was virtue signalling not only to potential new arrivals deciding on where to shop for access to the EU, lets face it they are not in immediate danger, nor give a fig about Ireland, but to his EU and Globalist puppetmasters, to show he was the best boy in class and for a pat on the head about how " Ireland leads the way ". FFS he tweeted in 8 languages did he not ? Who was he expecting to read his tweets ?

The whole thing does not need to be translated, because the whole industry that make a living from this, the army of enablers, NGOs, lawyers, translators, advisers and advocates will sure let people know about the small print, what they are entitled to and how they can get what's available and " more ".

Which is why I called it nothing merely a 'nice nod ' Fairly sure his 'EU and globalist puppetmasters ' 🙄 couldn't care less wether the introduction to the white paper is translated into 2 or 22 languages. Probably because they don't exist.

as I said in the beginning, comparing a British government website to a white paper, is comparing Apple's and oranges, I see what you're trying to do, but I would suggest that most can see through your attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭ooter

Ivan yeats said on his podcast the other day that you have to be living here 5 years to go on the housing list.

They could obviously be put in to houses bought by the state but I don't think even this govt would be foolish enough to do that, it would be political suicide.

• Advertisement

How are asylum seekers housed then, once their application is successful?

There are thousands of people who have been granted leave to stay that are still living in DP accommodation because theres nowhere else to put them.

I would imagine they have to do what everyone else does, go on the council housing list or rent/buy their own dwelling.

There has to be some of them getting social housing (don’t wan’t to thread into ‘anecdote territory) some must be getting hap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

Also, the unsuccessful applicants also need to be accomadated. We will only ever deport a tiny number of these. Some will choose to leave but the rest will take up some of the housing stock.

They are no longer asylum seekers if their application is successful. Different rules apply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Augme

Where is the evidence it dissuades asylum seekers? Between 2014 and 2020 Austrailia spent $8.3bn on their offshore denetention centres. In 2014 they had just under 14,000 applications, 2015 they had 17,500 and in 2023 they had 18,700.

Yes, agreed. I am just wondering where this 5 yr rule to reach the social housing list comes into play. Surely that isnt a restriction for approved refugees.

Yeats mentioned it in relation to Ukrainians living here but I'm assuming it applies to all non nationals.

• Advertisement

No, I have never heard you must be 5 years in the country. I believe you must have legal right to live here long term, but I don't know the finer details

Advertisement