Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cricket 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Impressive partnership but then you remember half the bowlers were our own. Too bad it wasn’t a full strength Essex. Against Cook, Porter and Harmer would have been a different story and much better preparation for Thursday.

England Team v Ireland

Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jonny Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Matthew Potts, Josh Tongue (Debut), Jack Leach.

Bowling looks weak. All fine bowlers but a lot easier looking than if Anderson, Robinson, Woakes and Wood were playing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I had a mad urge to go to the game in Lord's on Thursday. €200 for in-and-out flights on Thurs, £70 for a ticket. Add in transport, food, drinks etc you won't see any change from €350 or so.

Still wildly tempted, as there is NOWHERE like Lord's for watching cricket. But don't think I can justify the funds, not to mention the exhaustion the next day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hehe, go on, live a little :pac:

I'll be there myself actually, quite looking forward to it. And when Ireland play you're always looking at seeing a few records broken (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Weather is forecasted to be dry for the whole test. That’s the good news, we should have no interruptions.

quite breezy, overcast so with it being Lords, we shall see much swing most likely, gonna be humid too.

that slope and swinging conditions have done for many a batsman not experienced at Lords…

Looking forward to it. Hopefully we hold our own.

those going , jealous as hell, but, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Ireland side tomorrow is likely to be:

1 James McCollum, 2 PJ Moor, 3 Andy Balbirnie (capt), 4 Harry Tector, 5 Paul Stirling, 6 Lorcan Tucker (wk), 7 Curtis Campher, 8 Andy McBrine, 9 Mark Adair, 10 Graham Hume, 11 Craig Young.

In all honesty, it's going to be difficult for Ireland to make this game competitive. I think their only hope is that England's all-aggressive Bazball style of cricket, throws away some wickets and keeps Ireland in the game. Our bowling hasn't looked good though when the opposition has been all-out-attack and you do fear a hammering.

On the batting side, that middle will be key for us to get a respectable score. Tector, Stirling and Tucker have been in very good form over the past international year and hopefully the top 3 can last long enough to make batting a bit easier when they get in.

Still great for this Irish team to play another test match at Lords. We never know when they will play test cricket again as it all seems very haphazard on the scheduling side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We need more from our openers as well, at least soak up time and balls. Let Eng away at the Bazball, we need to play a more conservative game I think. Anyway good luck to them.

England won the toss and are bowling. Not ideal given the overcast conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Fionn Hand must have some serious dirt on the selectors, even with a low talent base he is nowhere near the standard required. Young and Mayes are both much better bowlers. There's probably 6/7 that should be ahead of him. This is not a pick based on any cricketing performance. I've never seen a more scattered bunch of selectors!

15/1 after 5. Moor gone lbw played all around a very full and straight delivery that didn’t swing did nothing off the pitch. Should have either blocked it or played it with a straight bat down the pitch…

not a good shot at all.

19/2… Balbernie goes for a duck… again bad batting more than good bowling…. Broad full and straight just outside off. Balbernie hangs the bat, offers his edge and Broad obliges. Two down ok, but absolutely two terrible shots… a number 11 would get the ‘look’ going up the stairs having played either.

19/3 😵‍💫 Tector with another disaster of an effort… 🙄. Rank shot… has to have know a fielder is there..they must have stopped off at the Devon Malcolm school of batting.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Tector should be fired into the sun for that 3 absolutely pathetic wickets thrown away

Broad on one of his usual rampages. After a steady start, it has quickly fallen apart. Review saving Sterling lbw first ball.

Ah Jaysus lads, are we not allowed a glimmer of hope?

Just as well TrueDub above going today!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GolfPar

Always looked like it was going down leg albeit close.

McCollum 12* from 53…. Looking nervy

god the replays of the 3 wickets won’t exactly be saving the blushes of our batsmen… look worse again. 3 god awful shots.

McCollum at least seems determined not to just throw away his wicket nice boundary in the last over as well.

Tongue is fast, bowing in the ‘90’s.

Sterling gone… had been looking good but a seriously questionable shot.

Post edited by Strumms on

The coach needs to have a word in their ears and remind them it's a 4 day match :)

Starting to look a bit thin in the rest of the batting, Campher can hang around and maybe McBrine. Curtains after that.

• Advertisement

Striling gone for 30 64/4 now.

78/4 at lunch we need the rest of the batters to adopt McCollum's approach nice and patient punish the bad deliveries.

Yes there are a couple of rabbits in the lower batting order..that’s got to be a worry…. Hand can bat but internationally he’s not contributed much.

McCollum gone… a ‘watchful’ 36….33.33 his strike rate to get those 36…. Again, more then a hint of getting himself out as opposed to good bowling…

OK, so where are we going with this one - 150 max if we're doing lucky. Out before tea. Eng in and bat all day tomorrow - 500+. Us back in and skittled again for an innings loss. Hard to see much other result.

Yes, a sub 170 score either way is my guess.

England will be batting tonight… probably getting 100 runs or so on the board.

A sorry looking card, 7 wickets down, nobody with a 50. Nobody yet with a 40.

England haven’t even needed to produce their B game and they’ve still ran through us. The batting has been 🫣

im hoping for a miracle and we somehow see the days play out with 210/220 on the board…dreaming ..

Happily I was wrong and we're past 150 and past tea!!

Edited to add: But not by much!

Post edited by Furze99 on

There's a contradiction here somewhere.

You seem to imply McCollum doesn't score quick enough, yet also imply batsmen shouldn't get out to attacking shots? So they should vat defensively but still score bet quickly? How exactly does that work?

No contradiction. Don’t know where you get that from. Odd.

i stated a fact , 12* from 53. Not quick enough.

batsmen shouldn’t get out playing bad shots. I neither mentioned or implied attacking shots… ‘god awful shots’, is what I actually said.

• Advertisement

A horrible toss to lose. Better lineups than that would've been 3 down in the first half hour. McCollum did really well, proper test batting. Lots of starts needed someone to settle in for a big one. Captain goes missing again when the going is tough. Campher did ok, his dismissal was due to a lack of first class experience. Needed to milk the strike not slog.

The entire batting line up suffer from the lack of first class experience. They're too used to ODI, T20 cricket. They don't need to score all the runs in one day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement