Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braveheart v gladiator

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I agree here, I love Braveheart, but its definitely mostly fantasy. Someone noted earlier the battle of Stirling Bridge, it was in a fcuking field in the movie. That is a vital clue on the defeat at that battle where the Scots army blocked the English in both sides of the bridge and slaughtered them. What's even more fantasy and fictitious is the BBC's History of Scotland documentary series, its a bastardised English version of events.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

That sounds even better. I mean why change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never saw that series, but was aware at the time about various historians walking off the project. Never a good sign that. Hasn't Neil Oliver turned into a GB News twat subsequently as well?

As far as the battles in 'Braveheart' are concerned though, irrespective of the fact that Stirling Bridge forgot to turn up to its own scrap I thought the fighting scenes were well handled. They were appropriately bloody and painful looking and the terror of a cavalry charge was well realised. In fact, I think it's the battle scenes that play into a lot of the enjoyment that people get out of the movie, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The rules on engagement (rules set by the big boys like England) stated that you had to let the army pass the bridge and form up for battle so basically Wallace "cheated". It's the medieval version of "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist" But in my opinion fuk that.

I can't remember what movie or show it was but I think it was Braveheart that was the first to show that most soldiers died not from actual stabbing but the crush and trampling created by the scrum of battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think your thinking of that amazing battle in S6 of GOThrones. The battle scenes are the best thing about Braveheart, they look so raw, intense and realistic, so much fun to watch the carnage.

• Advertisement

Na this was definitely before GoT I just can't remember when. GoT took it to another kinda silly level.

Without a doubt, most injury in battle during those times were results of blunt force trauma and not laceration. Even sword fighting was aimed more at bashing your opponent rather than cutting him.

But you had to get in close. Against pike men, you had little hope.

Over all, though, it was the use of the long bow that gave the English the edge over their enemies, which I thought the movie handled well.

Except it added the English shoot their own to add to their evvvvvviiiillllness.

But overall it did get their archer and cavalry advantage right.

Of course it did. The English are the "baddies". They're going to do bad things. Just the same as nearly every other baddie does in Hollywood movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

And of course the Irish turned agin the English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apparently, a Scottish man asked why the movie battle wasn't fought on the bridge. He was told that it was in the way to which he responded that that was the point.

Anyway, it's a bit tragic that we never get to see full on historical battles in films any more. It makes sense in that they'd be horrendously expensive but it's still a shame. Braveheart largely got that right along with the squalor of medieval Britain.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Speaking of which, Braveheart starting now on RTE2.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gladiator is miles better

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I like both of them, the battle scenes in Braveheart are probably a bit more like it really was when men with swords and spears clashed.

My personal favourite is Last of the Mochicans, especially the scene near the end when Magua meets his maker.

Advertisement