Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braveheart v gladiator

• 07-01-2023 5:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Only one winnerrrr for me and it's gladiator...,.

Opinions ready and FCA boys inclucded lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

The best movie for me was gladiator I should have of course made that more obvious from the title :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Apocalypto wipes the floor with both of them imo.

Gladiator. One of the best ever, though I watched Braveheart again last year and it was really good.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not quite sure why they are comparable...

Where's the cross over?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gladiator. I can only enjoy Braveheart if I treat is as a fantasy vehicle for Mel Gibson's hatred of the English.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Indiana Jones would batter all of these films.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Are you not entertained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Both films belong in the best film ever discussion. I feel they are comparable because they are both very very emotionally powerful and both have an amazing performance from the main actor and both have great battle scenes with swords. I slightly prefer Braveheart as even though I really like English people when I left the cinema back in the day I genuinely felt like I wanted to attack and kill English people with a sword

Gibson has admitted its not very accurate but if it was accurate it would be a much weaker film

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Braveheart by a good margin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I never got into Gladiator. Braveheart far more engaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Both films are very good. I prefer Braveheart, its more gritty and has better battle scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Shawshank Redemption was more liberating than both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Must ask my son as he watched Braveheart at school at the age of 8 :-(

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Neither film comes anywhere near a best film list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Gladiator hands down for me although I do like Braveheart. Braveheart is pretty much a vehicle for Mel Gibson whereas with Gladiator you get Russell Crowe, `Joaquin Phoenix, Oliver Reed, Richard Harris and Derek Jacobi.

Post edited by Everlong1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Braveheart was memorable. Maybe cause it was shot in Ireland etc etc etc.

I can't remember Gladiator at all. Maybe 'cause I saw it on the small screen. Or maybe because Russel Crowe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can't remember he might have been younger. Every Wednesday the kids would bring in a video and the whole school would watch it in the afternoon in the main hall of a small country school. The teachers would then disappear into the staff room. So one day when a kid turned up with Braveheart it was stuck in the video player and the teacher went off to the staffroom.

I'm sure things have changed that must have been 20 years ago. He doesn't seem to have been damaged too much by it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Decent big budget historical epics are rare these days so I'll take what I can get without prejudice. Both are fantastic films.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Braveheart. I like medieval war films and Braveheart is one of the best.

Love this scene with Patrick McGoohan as Longshanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not just not very accurate, it's borderline insulting if you know anything at all about English history. It's about as historical as The Lord of the Rings.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Gladiator for me hands down, the opening battle scene was awesome, and the music was class.

I would imagine historical accuracy wasn't high on the agenda for either film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The new Gladiator is Paul Mescal appaz. Russell and Mel would both bate him in a fight I'd reckon, at least when they are younger. Fair play to Paul though, massive role.

It's a tad inaccurate alright. They didn't have cars in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

'The trouble with Scotland is, its full of Scots.' Patrick McGoohan as Long Shanks is brilliant, Gladiator is too long for me. Didn't like the inaccuracy of the instruments, uilleann pipes are not war pipes. You only hear the highland pipes during the mooning session on the battlefield. Rob Roy with Liam Neeson was another one that came out at the same time. Probably the same companies who tried to outdo each other with their volcano films: Volcano and Dantes Peak and the asteroid ones as in Deep Impact and Armageddon.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Gladiator has a few bloopers also, i think there is a plane in one shot and when the chariot crashes in the colosseum fight you can see a gas tank. Also Maximus says to “unleash hell” at the opening battle, the Romams wouldn’t have called it hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Gladiator for me. It achieved a similar emotional punch as Braveheart without resorting to a contrived love story and really ridiculous romantic device about Mel bedding a French princess.

It's crazy to me that Gladiator is never high up in the best films of all time list. It's pure snobbery. It ticks every box as far as what constitutes a great film. Great directing. Great cinematography. A fantastic plot that while wasn't historically accurate was very true to the setting of Ancient Rome.

Casting and performances pitch perfect across the board. Epic and memorable soundtrack. Apart from one or two gaffes, incredible CGI and visual effects which really sold it to the audience but importantly, combined with plenty of physical effects and stuntwork which meant it was always very believable. The first battle scene is still probably the best reenactment of Roman battle tactics committed to film.

• Advertisement

Armageddon or Deep Impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Braveheart although I haven't seen it in over 5 years. I only watched Gladiator for the first time last year, it was ok but not as good as people have made it out to be. I grew up listening to people talk about how great it was. I have the Canadian edition Blu Ray with slipcover.

I often have thought that the Nine Years war in Ireland would have made a good film with the flight of the earls, etc. It wouldn't have been made because that is very closely tied to modern Northern Ireland as that is where the clans were from. I doubt they could make it now as it would stir up things in a fragile society.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

My favourite film - that would be in that list of films that one is allowed to consider one of the best - would be 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest''. However, another one of my favourite films is one that wouldn't really be allowed to say is the best, is 'Matchstick Men'... which is also directed by the same director as Gladiator, Ridley Scott!

Nothing insulting about a piece of entertainment, if you want accuracy watch a documentary. Both films give 10/10 entertainment value which is their main job. Sure English people aren't all that great when it comes to knowing their history anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Braveheart is as historically accurate as it needs to be. Historically the English, since the Norman takeover, have been pricks when it came to foreign affairs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Also, Mission to Mars and Red Planet were two other movies that came out around the same time that was kind've like twins.

There's inaccurate and there's Gibson's unnerving loathing of the English and his appropriation of William Wallace into some Mary Sue type character. It's not his only offence on that score either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

Also the behavior of the O’Donnels, O’Neils and local Kinsale chieftains in 1601 wouldn’t paint the Irish in a great light. The book Hell or some worse place is worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm after watching Braveheart. Grand but no In The Name of the Father . After watching that I would have killed an English person.

Grow up you fools, history is in the past and who cares today only another form racists :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

Both fantastic films but Braveheart for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just like Lincoln for which Daniel Day-Lewis got his third Oscar and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Tombstone or Wyatt Earp?

Easy. Tombstone!

unforgiven or tombstone?

easyyyyyyyyy: unforgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was really shte to the Scottish who were not Wallace. He was just as much the aristocracy as the "bad" Scottish lords and it completely fuks over DeBruce who was probably way more the real leader than Wallace.

On the original question I love both movies but Braveheart is quite camp and silly whereas I think Gladiator is an all time classic. It's one of the few actually original movies in my life (not sequel remake or hyped up) where from the first time I saw the trailer I was blown away.

Both are great movies and both worth watching. It doesn't matter which is better really because in the end we are all just ashes and dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Indy doesn't even need to be in Raiders and nothing changes

It's opinion based but pretty much every best movie list has Gladiator in top 30-40. The score, the casting, special effects are all fantastic. Wonderful performances from Crowe, Reed, Phoenix and Hounsou.

Every big budget fantasy tv show and movie that came after from LOTR to GOT borrowed heavily from Gladiator.

To be fair to Braveheart, it probably influenced Gladiator. I seem to remember Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan setting the scene for realistic, violent battle scenes at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not a big fan of either of them, I don't remember much of Braveheart and thought Gladiator was a bit of a turkey of a movie at the time although the score by Hanz Zimmer is very very good so that would give it the edge for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement