Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braveheart v gladiator

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I assumed this thread would be about who'd win in a fight, but it seems to have quickly descended into a movie discussion. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The Patriator. Hasta La vista bobo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But there's Boobs and bums and blurry willies in it!!

(and a fair bit of the movie is a brutal torture and execution scene)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think Gladiator would destroy William Wallace in one on one combat

Wouldn't even be close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

They are 2 great films, but I’d have to say Braveheart. It’s just a bit more rugged, more related to us Irish, more anti English. Gladiator is more big budget Hollywood, with its effects and recreation of the Coliseum, and it’s cast of a-listers. Mel Gibson has always been a rebel and Braveheart is magnificent, to be star and director is some achievement in film making.

I agree on earlier post on Apocalypto, what an amazing film. Complete savagery from start to end, an amazing journey of survival for the main guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd go Braveheart with ease,

But as someone said Apocalypto would probably out rank them both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I watched Gladiator the other night having not seen it since the early 2000s. It wasn't as good as I remember. Probably because things like Spartacus - blood and Sand and Game of thrones upped the bar/shock factor of the action sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Gladiator I found to be a much more enjoyable movie, especially the battle scenes. Of course I've no idea which were more realistic.

Usually see Braveheart compared to Rob Roy, which is one my favorite movies, the dialogue Hurt/Neeson/Roth is another level to both these movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah I don't think it has aged as well. I watched Braveheart recently and its still great. I forgot about the mad Irish man in it. There's a bit of humor mixed in with the savagery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

The wind that shakes the barely inspires similar feelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Dante

Gladiator was a much better watch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Ever seen "Come and See"? If not, I think you will like it. This is survival through total savagery on film.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Same could be said for the Scots, not knowing parts of their history, same for the Irish, same for Spanish, Portuguese, Belgium etc. Every nationality knows their history, many choose to ignore some of it , some do not want to know in the first place. The English have a bad rap, for many reasons - and rightly so - BUT many other nationalities have vile history too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Apocalypto is an outstanding film, followed by Gladiator. The wind that shakes the barley is one that stands out - it tries to highlight the horror that Irish men and women lived thru, what they did to each other. Much of which has been hidden as many refused to mention what occurred to the level it became - for the hate and jealously that was, civil war etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

That’s probably one of the biggest inaccuracies of the whole film.

the King was the King of England, but was very much a Norman and would have spoken French. The Normans would have considered the native English as no more than cannon fodder. Pretty much the same way the Scottish nobility (of which Wallace was part) considered their own commoners little more than pawns in their game of thrones.

Wallace wearing a kilt and sleeping with a Queen who was only three years old at the time were pretty big ones as well in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Longshanks was a Plantaganet, they came after the Normans. Wouldn't Wallace have been of Norman descent, I think Wallace is the Scottish equivalent of Walsh (Breathnach), meaning Briton/Welsh. Also DeBruce sounds a bit Frenchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

On even ground I would back gladiator. If the terrain is rough I think braveheart would have the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

Of course, my mistake.

tomato tomato as far as the English we’re concerned though. Just another thug French king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Fighting for freedom vrs fighting for the entertainment of rich people ...FREEDOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,105 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Deutschland by rammstein gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Both films are full of inaccuracies but I'm not an historian, it's gladiator for me because of Joaquin Phoenix. 8MM oh right it's Rivers wee bro I'll give it a go. Fckin hell he's good and Gladiator he nails it. Damn fine actor much deserving of all the credit he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I agree with you mostly but LotR took nothing from Gladiator, by the time it released they would have been almost halfway through shooting the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Gladiator never really claimed to be historically accurate though, it was always intended as fictional story in a historic setting that borrowed some real characters. I doubt Braveheart ever claimed to be 100% accurate but when you base your film around a real-life historical figure I think some amount of accuracy is implied and expected.

I think a bit more historical accuracy is expected and required when you are dealing with an "active" historic national hero like Wallace and DeBruce or Collins and Dev for example.

There would be a lot less of a necessity and emotion involved in misrepresenting Marcus Aurelius and Commodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭raclle

Braveheart

That Gladiator ending was cheesy af.

You mean when Gladiator sees his dead wife as he is dying. Or the bit where the king's missus who he was ridin mourns him. Or maybe the ending monologue 🤣

What about The Revenant does ur deserve to be in the same bracket as these 2?? 4 great films Apocalypto, The Revenant, Braveheart and Gladiator.

I had no idea Braveheart was revered as an actually good film, I thought it was viewed as a sort of guilty pleasure along the lines of another of Mel Gibson's period pieces - The Patriot.

Gladiator was hugely overrated in my opinion. Joaquin Phoenix aside, it was so-so.

Yeah the part where she mourns him lol the little speech she gives and then her son goes over to pick him up. I want to kick the little **** out of the arena.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can live with the King speaking English. It's the way they butchered his character that irks me. Edward I loved his wife and built a series of crosses - the Eleanor Crosses - all over England after she died. He was a pious Christian and also went on crusade. He was above all a master of warfare. He also expelled the Jews in 1291 so was by no means a good guy or anything but he deserved better than the hatchet job from Gibson he got.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Enjoyed both but Gladiator for me, great to see Ollie Reed aswell

The son gets far worse of a hatchet job. And of course you have the casual xenophobia like the French girls being mad up for it and ridin half the court.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

True but the son's famous for being an abysmal King so I suppose that's less noticeable. I do like the part where his fella gets thrown out the window though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It's been a while since I've seen Braveheart so my mind always pictures Tywin Lannister in all those scenes.

From Wikipedia

Peter Traquair has referred to Wallace's "farcical representation as a wild and hairy highlander painted with woad (1,000 years too late) running amok in a tartan kilt (500 years too early).

The "ancient traditions" of tartan is one of the greatest loads of bollixology in culture. It has more history has far more links to silly tweet cosplaying Victorian lords than it does highland clans. Clowns like George and now Charles Windsor.

I know you meant the entire ending 😂 but that part pisses me off so much.

• Advertisement

I was describing the ending to both Gladiator and Braveheart. Almost identical.

Apart from both protagonists dying I can't remember much else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

i taught the ending and music in gladiator was great.now we are free................................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Loved both of these films when they came out. I think I must have watched Braveheart at least 6 times over the years, Gladiator not far off either.

For me, I think Braveheart just about edges Gladiator. Gladiator definitely has more polish and looks amazing.

The Revenant surpasses both though.

BTW, for those whinging about historical inaccuracies, cop on. They're movies, not documentaries. You watch them for entertainment.

If those 4 movies, only the Apocalyptco guy wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Must watch The Revenant. For some reason I've avoided this movie and it's been on streaming channels forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Phoenix really created such an amazingly creepy disgusting villain in that movie.

The bit where after the opening battle he comes to his father looking disappointed saying “I missed the battle” is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Both movies are absolute junk from an historical perspective, so choosing one over the other from that point of view is a hiding to nothing. But, in any case, the two movies are very entertaining too. It's difficult for me to pick one over the other and over the years they've pipped each other to the post. The last time I saw both of them (in the last couple of years), I was really surprised at just how much I enjoyed them, even though my brain was very upset with me. 😊

At the moment they both probably stand side by side with each other. But as someone else has already said, 'Apocalypto' wipes the floor with both of them. It's Gibson's masterpiece and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone...and if you know nothing about the film, keep it that way until you sit down to watch it, because the heightens the experience immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Indy doesn't even need to be in Raiders and nothing changes

So what?

I know this type of Big Bang philosophising has kinda become a "smart" thing to mention, but it really isn't all that smart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement