Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braveheart v gladiator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Apart from both protagonists dying I can't remember much else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

i taught the ending and music in gladiator was great.now we are free................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Loved both of these films when they came out. I think I must have watched Braveheart at least 6 times over the years, Gladiator not far off either.

For me, I think Braveheart just about edges Gladiator. Gladiator definitely has more polish and looks amazing.

The Revenant surpasses both though.

BTW, for those whinging about historical inaccuracies, cop on. They're movies, not documentaries. You watch them for entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If those 4 movies, only the Apocalyptco guy wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Must watch The Revenant. For some reason I've avoided this movie and it's been on streaming channels forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

• Registered Users Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Phoenix really created such an amazingly creepy disgusting villain in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The bit where after the opening battle he comes to his father looking disappointed saying “I missed the battle” is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Both movies are absolute junk from an historical perspective, so choosing one over the other from that point of view is a hiding to nothing. But, in any case, the two movies are very entertaining too. It's difficult for me to pick one over the other and over the years they've pipped each other to the post. The last time I saw both of them (in the last couple of years), I was really surprised at just how much I enjoyed them, even though my brain was very upset with me. 😊

At the moment they both probably stand side by side with each other. But as someone else has already said, 'Apocalypto' wipes the floor with both of them. It's Gibson's masterpiece and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone...and if you know nothing about the film, keep it that way until you sit down to watch it, because the heightens the experience immensely.

Indy doesn't even need to be in Raiders and nothing changes

So what?

I know this type of Big Bang philosophising has kinda become a "smart" thing to mention, but it really isn't all that smart.

• Advertisement

'Braveheart' isn't even 10% accurate. In fact it's very title was given to Robert The Bruce, not William Wallace. Robert The Bruce's "brave heart" was taken on crusade after his death, which is where the term was supposed to have come from.

There's more historical accuracy in 'Star Wars' than there is in 'Braveheart'.

I assume Wallace was picked because he died. In truth DeBruce was always the leader and held up as Scotland's great hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The Passion Of Saint Tibulus surpasses them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I disagree.

Gladiator is a fairly standard revenge story set within the Roman Empire. Braveheart twists William Wallace into a vessel for Gibson's anti-English fantasies. The difference is historically authentic in the case of the former and historcial accuracy in the case of the latter. Gladiator is set in a fascinating world and really succeeds in drawing the viewer in. Braveheart just has Wallace succeed at literally everything he ever tries until he's betrayed and that's it. That's before you apply any knowledge of the period at all at which the film is only enjoyable if treated as a fantasy. The battle of Stirling Bridge isn't even on a f*cking bridge ffs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The English in 'Braveheart' are just the "bad guys". It's the same as nearly every war movie where the Germans are reduced to evil cliches too, or anything from the Cold War era that features anyone with an eastern European accent. I really wouldn't be reading too much into it if I were you.

All that's happened in 'Braveheart' is that Gibson has used a few set pieces to make you hate the English, simply because they are the antagonists in the story, which is a simple story as well.

in any case, there's nothing in 'Braveheart' to get upset over. It's all a pure fantasy. Long Shanks didn't die when Wallace was hung, drawn and quartered. Wallace didn't fuck Queen Isabella. They certainly didn't have a baby (as it's implied). King Edwards' son wasn't gay (as is also implied). Robert The Bruce didn't betray Wallace. Wallace wasn't a scraggly Scot's highlander, Scots didn't wear woad...etc.

...the list is endless.

In contrast, you have Ridley Scott turning Commodus into an incestuous psychopath in order to make you hate him and root for the goody. It's pretty much the same thing, except the hateful entity is boiled down to a fictional representation of a single man, rather than an occupying country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not upset over Braveheart. I've no idea why you're pretending that I am. My point is that there's a limit to what you can have in a film before it becomes absurd. Nobody knows who Commodus is. I doubt Ridley Scott knows one way or the other beyond what was needed for the film. I sincerely doubt he has some sort of obsessive anti-Commodus agenda as you've suggested here. Gibson, on the other hand is a notorious bigot. There's no comparison.

It's simply not remotely the same thing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You sound upset. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I mentioned nothing about an "anti-Commodus agenda" either. I merely said that both directors are using the age old technique of making you hate the antagonist of a story in order to make you root for the protagonist. It's a movie technique that's as old as storytelling itself.

The fact of the matter is, however, is that there's little in either movie that can claim historical accuracy, whether it's the depiction of the times, the circumstances, or the people involved.

Nope. This is beginning to get circular. If you can demonstrate that Scott has some sort of profound hatred of Commodus similar to Gibson's hatred of the English, Jewish people, etc then please do so.

H. H. Asquith

It's not circular, lad, it's ridiculous. 🙂

They're just movies, and fantasy ones at that.

• Advertisement

The problem with Gladiator is it was made by Scott 🤣

cool down lads cool the fook down lol lol

Ashamed to say I've never watched Gladiator :/ ...a friend of mine used to have a joke and quote maximus desimus all the time and I kind of got the joke..but not really ☺️

Braveheart...from what I can remember is a good film but not nuanced enough...sometimes you need a film like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yep, you're upset 🤷‍♂️. BTW, why would Gibson have a hatred of the English? He's Australian, most of whom are just like the English.

Scousers is it am loving your pain............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

They mean using the characters name instead of the movie title.

• Advertisement

Just realized now I called the character "Gladiator" and not Maximus or Spaniard.

Advertisement