Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your energy bill like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

Talking about the highest bill ever - €350. I need to look into it, doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The same colour as the last one, turquoise with bold integers in black totalling with demand's for payment. The current one has become moist from the cold and has developed dog ears on the upper right and bottom right corners depending on what angle you are examining the item from.

I showed it to my neighbour, who responded by shrugging his shoulders and saying " what can you do Count.... that's life for you isn't it?".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Of course I have NO IDEA what goes on in any house out here! lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Got my Flogas electric blll for a D/N meter. e121 for 58 days

• Advertisement

Had to get the metal draught excluder taken off the front door last spring. It was the coldest Winter/early Spring ever without it, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until recent weeks 🙄 Bought a standard cushiony draft excluder and the difference has been phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

333 euro for gas. Highest bill I’ve ever had. I think Bord Gais are fleecing me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And I can skip showers, keep the rooms cooler, wear a scarf and gloves indoors....

I'm not waiting days for clothes to dry on a clothes horse and I'm not going back to the good old 80s.

So I'll waste heat from the radiators and still tumble dry? I'll pass on a couple of days of damp clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

We can walk around with a head torch to save turning on the lights too, but some of us value being comfortable in our own homes.

• Advertisement

Energy prices have gone up massively, and it's the time of year for the highest energy consumption. Unless it was a very "out there" estimation, it's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Also with Bord Gais. My last bill 2 months ago was 370, and that was an estimated read. When I checked the actual reading it was higher. Also the highest bill I've ever had. Next gas bill is due tomorrow, needless to say I'm dreading it. I took an actual read and submitted it yesterday so it should be quite accurate.

I use two clothes horses (big one and small one) and those things you clip onto radiators. Works perfectly - the heating is on anyway (gas central heating and electric fake stove). Then into the hot press. It's actually in the Summer when I use the dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Most recent monthly bill was €173.95 (Electric Ireland)

*40 year old 4 bed bungalow - 4 occupants - OFCH - Solid Fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

SSE Airtricity

28/11 - 27/01

Electricity €84.68 after the Government credit

Gas €195.41

27/01 - 27/03

Electricity €29.50 after the Government credit

Gas €152.28

Bills based on submitted meter readings, 3 bed mid terrace with 3 occupants. We have a night meter, do clothes washing and charge the PHEV at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Description Rate

1Yr Home Elec DF 33% Day 0.3028

1Yr Home Elec DF 33% Night 0.1879

1Yr Home DF 33% Gas 0.0883

Rates we can only dream of once out of contract... Enjoy them while you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,591 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, just checked and the best Airtricity rates are now 41.88 Day and 25.99 night. Doesnt compare well with my current 28c day 7c night from energia.

Until 31st July, we've been luck this winter alright.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, I've been in the wilderness since mid January, hopefully prices will have started to drop by July. I'll play it cleverer when I enter my next contract.

Now they're definitely prices you can only dream of, you'll be rocking in the nursing home and they'll be saying, take no notice of him he's rambling on about prices that never happened 😆😆 that's when you'll pull the tattered bill out of your dressing gown pocket 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

Below are our figures for the last 3 years. Newish A2 build, rural, exposed site. A2W and UFH. No EV.

I know I don't have Oil or Gas to pay for, but still, it's crazy expensive. Have guestimated Mar 2023- Mar 2024 will work out as approx €5630

Have to now consider PV/Solar to see can I get this reduced (and evicting some teenagers when the ban lifts next week 😙)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I equalised (with Electric Ireland) the gas and electricity to 600 and 500 per annum just prior to the covid lockdown drawing on the previous years usage. So 1100 total for a year with the gas being the sole form of heating in a B3 BER 70 m 2 house. Just had a long chat with Electric Ireland on foot of most recent bills and its clear that electricity has doubled in price since then while gas has quadrupled. Electricity alone is now 1100 with the blow being softened by the 600 credit. I installed a stove and use 1000 euro per annum in fuel (mostly coal) to heat the house from Oct- April inclusive. Gas is now so expensive I never use it except for showers. With no stove I would have had a 2000 per annum gas bill minimum. With no subsidy the electric would have been 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Got my ESB bull there recently. Nearly died. I suppose it is not surprising considering the pay and huge pensions of EBS workers. I read there a few days ago (and I quote ) " ESB Group's 8,200 employees were paid an average annual salary of €78,000, according to the annual report."

https://businessplus.ie/industry-type/energy-telecoms-utilities/esb-reve/

Wages represent a tiny percentage of their costs. They employ many highly skilled operatives and engineering staff. The pay bill isn't the reason for your increased electricity bill. I'll not begrudge them one of the best performing pension funds that they, like many employees and employers, contributed towards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,591 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ESB group actually don't pay that well compared to other similar companies. Source:myself recently job seeking. Manager level and while I considered ESB I opted to remain in the private sector for much better wages and opportunities.

They have a lot of super skilled people, you hardly expect surveyors and the like to work for 50k in ESB do you? The like of CS staff are generally on 30-40k max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Francis McM

An average annual salary of €78,000 is still very generous, considering the other perks like great pension, job security, cheap electricity for themselves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No one complains about their wages when teams are sent out in horrific weather to reconnect supply after storms. It's an essential service and they need to pay sufficiently attractive wages to attract suitably qualified and competent staff.

An average salary means that many earn below it and I don't think wages were increased when bills did, the rising costs are not connected to the salary paid.

• Advertisement

Still not the reason for the price hikes. As explained already, the pay rates for the roles are not by any measure excessive. You're quoting an average from Chief Executive, to Engineers, Accountants, Electricians, Surveyors, down to Clerical Officers and Customer Service Staff. They contribute a fair % to the pension fund which trustees seem to manage very well based on returns. Plenty of employees benefit form staff discounts in their sectors. As for job security, you really can't put a monetary value on that.

You're simply barking up the wrong tree in your rightful indignation at large price rises.

Advertisement