Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw my first one of these in the wild (parked) today. Have to say I preferred it in the pics - has the look of a squashed ID5, and I was never a fan of that. It's also pretty tall for a saloon too which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I did this with an current generation A1. I wanted a small car but felt that it needed to be a proper motorway cruiser. It was an automatic with all the bells and whistles. It was a great car. I replaced it for an A3 which had an awful engine and quickly converted to BEV as I could no longer stand the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I spotted a couple of these yesterday. The deliveries seem to have commenced. They leave a good impression on me, much like the ID4 did when it first debuted. They are substantial in size and their rear lights look particularly appealing at night. To my eyes, they bear a resemblance to the Passat. I predict that we’ll see them frequently on the motorways in the coming year as more company car owners opt for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

any chance the pcp rate of 6.9% will drop on these this year? Talking to a dealer and he says the supply is pretty constrained so he doesnt see it changing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭MarkN

More chance of a drop for 251 cars I'd say when the initial hype has died down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The PCP rate dropped from 6.9% to 4.9% a good few weeks ago, you need to get a better informed dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah the current generation seems to be trying to compete with the Audi's and BMW's rather than Skoda or Peugeot

For the €60k asking price you do get a lot of luxuries, but hopefully they release a more budget spec which might appeal to Passat drivers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Did we see the same one? 😂

Spotted one in Blanchardstown yesterday, I was convinced it was an ID.5 at first as well

Not bad looking, but definitely a bit of a saloon on stilts

The light bar at the front looks a bit weird, it seems a lot thicker than the ID.4

I think the estate will look a lot better, but I do prefer estate cars anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

No. It was a white one in Co. Clare.

• Advertisement

THE test results are in

1000km in 9:50, not bad at all. Same time as a Model Y LR in similar conditions

I don't think it's ever going to beat the Model 3 or Model S, it's a heavier car than the former and has a smaller battery than the latter

The big thing to me isn't so much the car itself as the improvements to the MEB platform. Things like preheating the battery, the new software and more efficient motor seem o have made a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is it making much a difference though? On a good day in summer I'm getting 480km out of my id4 gtx.. id hoped with an id7 that would be 600... Or at least 450 in winter... The new motors and even the increased aero efficiency doesn't seem to make that much difference? The battery pre heat is definitely a plus..being able to charge at higher speeds is a big plus..

Bjorn did a later test where he got 400km driving up and down a few mountains before the car was about to die, in subzero temperatures and fairly crappy conditions

Maybe in summer 600km will be more achievable

To me the biggest thing is the preconditioning of the battery before charging. Knowing you'll arrive at a charger and get 175kW makes a big difference, let's you keep to a short charging stop instead of being stuck for 45 mins and ending up as an anti EV article on The Sun

Charging test

Only beaten by the Ioniq 6, definitely an impressive result

It's interesting that all the brands have really started to max out the 400V architecture. Once you hit 200kW you're limited by the 500A rating of CCS2

So it's clear that 800V is going to be the way forward, however there might be some opportunities to extend the high powered part of the curve using more efficient cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bjorn is saying it’s his favourite car in his latest video high praise indeed:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭joe1303l

He must have found a €50 in the glovebox or else they’re priced more competitively in Norway than here.

Bit harsh isn't it? Do you think Elon is paying him when he praises Tesla?

I jest about the €50 but I’m still of the opinion that ID.7’s are no value here when you consider the current competition.

I really don't understand the hate for this car. What competition does it have? A Tesla Model 3 is a much smaller more impractical car in comparison. The cars in it's segment like the EQE are far more expensive.

I do agree that €60k is a lot more than I'd want to be spending on a car, but I don't really see how it's worse value than the competition

The main rivals seem to be the i5 and EQS which are both more expensive and all you get for the money is some dead calf skin soaked in piss on the interior 😉

In any case, I suspect the vast majority of sales will be company cars and so won't be spending the full price

• Advertisement

What would you compare it to ? Looks q8 etron sized give or take, so if that, the eqe and similar are the comp it’s priced well against them (appreciate vw doesn’t carry the same cachet but it’s a lot cheaper )

I suppose two competitors would be the newer ID.4/5, since they have the same upgraded motor and infotainment. They probably also have the improved charging speed and heat scavenging

So for the extra €10k above a high spec ID.4 you get more space, much better seats, an interior layout that has useable storage and you get a sedan as opposed to an SUV

Worth it? Maybe if you hate SUVs and do a lot of long trips. That's why I suspect the majority will be company cars

Even the drying function of the seats seems designed for your typical travelling businessman to stop them getting a sweaty shirt back when driving (this is part of the reason I don't like leather seats)

It would be nice if VW make a base spec version for similar price to the ID.4 Pro. It'd be especially nice if they could get the wagon down to that price as well, I suspect those would fly out of the showroom if they're well priced

I don’t hate but I really don’t see any value for money with current pricing here. Within the same form factor, an 82kWh BYD Seal is probably a better proposition for less money. Moving upmarket a new 89kWh EQE is now starting at €63K. Both have significantly better battery warranty than VW. Even it’s lesser brother, the ID.4 now has all the same tech albeit in a different shape for significantly less.

It’ll be a miserable eqe for that money tho, an amg trim will be 70k im pretty sure. Plus there is a lot more space in the id7.

dont think I’d buy one but it has a place .

A BYD Seal is also a substantially smaller car, the passenger compartment is a lot more cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

The tourer/station wagon could be a good seller as there aren't too many EV tourers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mouseycon

I enjoyed Bjorns video and his pros and cons are spot on. Hopefully the horn sound gets an update as for such a big car it's a bit embarrassing!

Yeah I felt he was pretty honest in his review. When he's talking about buying one as the family car then you know he's serious

I don't think the horn will be improved unfortunately, all the ID cars have toy car horns. Makes it hard to express your disappointment in other drivers 😂

Maybe, I don't see if being any cheaper than the saloon unless they release a more modest spec version

If you have the money and are looking for a comfortable car to drive to the south of France with the family there's certainly worse options out there

• Advertisement

If it’s a showstopper, shouldn’t be a difficult or expensive retrofit; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlKdubMR89Q

Advertisement