Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Great end to your post. I agree we should all do a bit of this “I think the advice is sort out your own sh*t before making comments about another country!!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

hmmm you started the gloating about one thing NI has advanced a bit on, downcow.

You hate overall pictures though, like the wealth one because that shows how far behind the glorious Union has left you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Tis true. Let the North sort itself out and we will sort ourselves out

I doubt anything of interest will happen when majority parties in North are DUP and SF. Both are as useless as "tits on a bull"

FG FF tried to ignore NI for a while and have learned the lesson.

The UK and Dublin know now that NI can never 'sort itself out' it will be sorted by things like the GFA which has a built in BP. Because NI cannot 'sort itself out' we are heading towards one inexhorably.

The DUP/TUV know this and are trying desparately to scupper the GFA. Making a strategic hames of it too.

And it looks like you might be getting the tits soon yourselves. But yes I agree with you. Unification is a fantasy that is taking too much energy

• Advertisement

It was the 'energy of fear' in belligerent Unionism of what the south and north were doing (getting closer economically and socially) that has gotten us to where we are.

They thought they could rupture that and bring back a border on the island.

It was, as we can see a magnificent failure, and has only served to show everyone how toxic their hate is and potentially damaging. A BP to remove the threat they offer to stability is a natural outcome IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Doubt we will get them in all honestly. The fire is burned out of the online army, well most of the dummy accounts shut down and the people behind them blocked from forums etc.

The more SF are on the TV the more they show how incompetent they are. SF needed a quick election after 2020, once that didn't happen it's not going well. By the time we come election time I would expect a fairly similar government pulled together to continue on. They are not great by any means but SF would bankrupt the country in a few months plus drive companies out the door.

The fire is burned out of the online army, well most of the dummy accounts shut down and the people behind them blocked from forums etc.

If any of that was true, how come the latest polling has them back up to 34% in the polls, their best showing in over a year for that particular polling company. It's not only Unionists that are in denial it seems.

I thought you told us a few posts back that the border is now in the right place. I thought you and me agreed we had reached an excellent compromise ie I will only eat salad sandwiches on the ferry and you are happy with current status quo.

Yes, it's in the Irish Sea, back where it belongs.

Don't believe me?

Ask Bryson, Allister and Donaldson etc.

• Advertisement

So we are sorted. Everyone is happy except a few close to those three?

would you say most republicans are happy with the border where it is now?

In the Irish Sea?

I don't think that concerns republicans at all, it is though excercising Unionists.

Of course you will now pretend it is only those 3, but we know via polling that it is dismaying many more and not a damn thing they can do about it. It is IMO why 'Unionism' is in decline.

What is making republicans most happy though is Unionism being shown just how much the British don't care a hoot about the Irish.

That has been a real eye-opener and 'Unionists' will continue to jump ship to the NI identity and that will all effect how we go forward.

You continue to avoid the question. I could go back and get the quote if you wish but you said something along the lines of you were very happy with where the border is now. I am pointing out that I am also very happy with where the border is now. I have been asking whether you think other Republicans are happy with the current border situation?

I can assure you, if you are serious about agreeing the current border state, that all, but a few close to the guys you mention, would jump at an agreement, and Jeffrey would be on board to.

Yes, it's in the Irish Sea to all intents and purposes.

It most certainly is not where the DUP and TUV and the likes of Bryson wanted it to be, which is a few hundred yards from where I am now sitting.

You can claim all you want about 'two or three', the polling data simply doesn't support you.

P.S. The Irish Sea Border and infrastructure is AGREED between us in the EU and the UK government.

It really doesn’t matter what Bryson thinks - you see infatuated by him.

here is what a border is, but if you think the Irish Sea 🌊 s one then that is great.

The GFA has neutralised the land border.

The only border causing issue (for Unionism) is in the Irish sea. The one YOUR political leaders have been paralysed by and divided by.

You can keep on living in denial of that reality if you want but we all know what 'border' is being discussed.

So francie, I’ll ask again. Do you think your belief that the ‘border is in the correct place’ and that it is ‘neutralised’, is a widespread belief in nationalism?. I guess it’s no wonder sf didn’t mention the border in the elections if they are happy with the status quo

You are desperate to divert.

On now numerous occasions I have clarified the ‘border’ I was referencing.

You seem to want to discuss the one that was neutralised in the GFA and allowed the partitioned economy and culture grow back together.

That growing back together, as Unionist political leaders tell us, has been accelerated by the Irish Sea border and the framework overseeing it.

The inescapable tragedy for Unionism is that in trying to stop the slow growth they succeeded in accelerating it.

As a Republican I am very happy about that.

I can’t disagree with you that the DUP damaged the union. This self-inflicted damage is only surpassed by the Ira who is violence, ensured that a united Ireland was scuppered for all time.

Could you tell me what has been done to the land border that would disappoint any significant number of unionists. It is great that the IRA campaign has stopped, and that we now have a normal international border with our neighbouring country.

as for the Irish Sea, I guess you can define a border as you wish, but can we agree that it certainly is not an international border like we have across the island of Ireland? What we are talking about, is checks.

No one has assisted me with my query. It would be important to know in a future united Ireland, where priorities lie.

I wanted to know what you guys are doing with the £10 billion you say the superstate made profit last year?

I have just pointed out a few stats that baffle me given your richness.

The latest stats I can find show that there are 100 times more people living rough on the streets of the superstate than in the failed statelet. Also, the superstate is 25 years behind the failed statelet in the rollout of full fibre broadband.

Surely these two small examples are critical issues in both the quality of life of citizens and preparing for the future.

So again I ask, what are you doing with the £10 billion? And should the citizens of OWC expect to have similar issues should we ever join the superstate?

I suppose there are only two alternatives after unification. Either the addition of NI magically transforms the situation or we live in a situation where the people of the old superstate look on with envy at the quality of life of the people in the recently joined six counties. I can’t see any other alternatives?

Post edited by downcow on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

The extra money we have can't be relied on in the future so shouldn't be used for on going expenses. That was a mistake we did previously and contributed to the crash. The money will mostly be used for one off expenses or paying debt.

The problem those who want unity face is whether they do incentivise those in NI to vote for unity by maintaining the higher standard of living enjoyed by those in employment in NI and higher benefits for those not working and risk the ire of the Republic and a rejection of unity or vice versa.

Personally think it will be impossible to balance the two opposite situations.

There was about £1.5b injected into developing the full fibre network in Northern Ireland A few years ago. If I am correct that’s about £1000 per head therefore if the Republic put about £5 billion of last year‘s profit, they would only be about five years behind us. That would be more respectable than 30 years.

NI has the best in the UK and roll out has to start somewhere so why not NI. Certain parts of Ireland got really good internet early as part of the roll out similar to NI but overall i believe we are similar to most other countries.

I think you are similar to most countries, but my point is that there are endless claims on here about roi being some sort of wonder state and ni being a failed statelet. I am just demonstrating that we could exchange examples all day long. The fact is that most northern Irish prefer living in ni and most southerners prefer living in roi. Both have the pros and cons.

Normal?

The border has been neutralised by a unique international agreement that belligerent Unionism hated from day one and that hate forced them/enticed them to commit political hari kari.

They are now in the ludicrous position of clinging to a wrong interpretation (see UK supreme court) to try and salvage something and the more they try the worse they make their position.

You having to raise the IRA shows the desperation here.

I have no advice on how unionists extract themselves because I don’t think there is a way out.

Who has claimed anything about ‘wonder states’?

Depends on which SF you are listening to, British SF claim it's a wonder state awash with money. Irish SF claim it's a failed country.

I see you share Leo Varadkars grasp of geography and FG in general’s snideness.

Where have SF called it a wonder state? Making comparisons is not calling here a wonder state. We have problems and there always will be. There are no utopias anywhere.

This state has ongoing problems but has not failed in a similar way to NI.

You have regularly described this country as failed. Has your position changed recently?

• Advertisement

The south?

Where have I described it as a failed state?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement