Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Application Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Slugs cannot be used because of the same section I mentioned above, section 33(3), which makes it an offence to shoot any wild mammal with a shotgun. So the ammo might make the grade, as per SI 239/1977, but the firearm used to shoot slugs is a shotgun and you cannot use them to hunt wild mammals.

The same section makes it an offence to use a restricted shotgun for hunting wild birds.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Rosahane - Wild mammals...with the exception of hares which can only be shot with a shotgun

The section does not say only with a shotgun. It says:

"(3) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure with a shotgun a protected wild animal other than a hare"

So it's not an offence to shoot a Hare with a shotgun, but is for all other mammals. No mention of "only with a shotgun".

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

Certainly another nuanced facet of Irish firearms laws. My reading of it is yes a rifle or shotgun on a hare is ok. But seriously Why not shoot a hare with a rifle as everyone shoots fox and rabbits with a rifle? I’d hate to hit any hare with a (birdshot) shotgun as it’s not going to be a pleasant end or clean kill for them either way it goes unless you’re able to sneak up <50M.

I’m shocked that a restricted shotgun cannot be used to shoot birds?!? What difference does a birdshot from a double barrel vs birdshot from a restricted shotgun make? what’s the rationale?

With Hares I think it's a combination of both misunderstanding the law as well as sportsmanship. I remember from a young age been told not to shoot Hares so I pretty much let them alone.

As for the restricted shotgun perhaps its again an issue of sportsmanship except in this instance state imposed. If you can only fire a max of three rounds at a time then the bag limits will be less.

The more cynical reason is it removes peoples ability to use wanting a restricted shotgun for hunting as their good reason.

• Advertisement

Well fair enough but put it this way it’s cruel to hunt a hare with birdshot!

Well my summation in this case is a restricted shotgun can be licensed to shoot hares, a slug can kill humanely and at reasonable distances vs birdshot. Good and sufficient reason. Of course now I’d be arguing that a rifle isn’t allowed to hunt hares as per the wild life act.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭BSA International

Hare are considered "game" and can only be shot with shotgun and have an "open" season outside designated areas where they are protected.

As Cass said lots of people won't shoot them at all, me included. Some of it is because they are "another mans' sport"

Shot thousands of rabbits with "birdshot" with no issues. Use 5 or 4 shot in 34 or 36 gram loads.

Do you have an Act to back this up in regards “game” and “only shotgun” as I’ve just read the wildlife act and there’s zero mention of the word “only”?

"(3) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure with a shotgun a protected wild animal other than a hare"

Yes that open season has already been pointed out. And this is a legal discussion not an ethical one.

it’s illegal to shoot mammals (including rabbits 1000s of times, excluding hares) with a shotgun as per the wildlife act. So this has nothing to do with issues only what’s legal or illegal. Birdshot…the hints in the name.

“section 33(3), which makes it an offence to shoot any wild mammal with a shotgun”

OP: Fill in FCA1 and skip 5.2, you must provide the land permissions you have now, and then shoot (the correct animals) on new land whenever you get permission. Have it in writing from the farmer and have it on your person or a photo of it on your phone.

Post edited by itisnotgrand on

There are a number of subsequent amendments to the wildlife act. You have to take them into consideration too. Hares are a protected species and you can shoot them with a shotgun, in season, outside certain areas. You show me I'm wrong.

Rabbits are mammals but under legislation they are an agricultural pest or vermin. They are not a protected species in way hares are.

"Bird shot" is an Americanism for smaller, as in not bb's, buck shot ammo for shotguns. As I said use 4/5 shot in 34/36 gram cartridges on rabbits or hares and you'll get humane & clean kills.

Simple really for those of us who now what we're doing and have been doing it a lot longer than you.

Most hunters follow unwritten ethical and sporting rules as well as old traditions eg no shooing Good Friday, Xmas Day, after 3 consecutive days of frost or snow along with what's in the legislation.

If you've come here to learn try listening........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Re Restricted shotguns being prohibited for game shooting.

Wildlife act 1976 Restriction on use of certain firearms etc.

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

(a) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird.

Note the lack of the word, suggestion, or other of the word Permanent in this section. So going by that if you plug it down to 3 and declare dual usage on your original application.It can be used to hunt legally.

Why do we have this anyway in legislation? Its a holdover from over 120 years ago.When "market hunting" was a thing and professional wildfowlers still eked out an existence shooting large amounts of ducks and geese for the markets in big cities using punt guns or these types of guns.It was then as refrigeration took over from salting and pickling game going to market, and the spoilage of game became less of a problem and not needing such a massive amount anymore. Shooting became more "sportsman like"🙄 and an inherited snobbishness from our English neighbours about "Dashed unsporting American guns!" that put this 3-shot limit on them. In the Western world that is...Go East and Middle East,and they would look at you for suggesting only having 3 shots in your gun.

Conveniently forgetting that a good gunner and loader in a grouse butt, duck blind or pheasant stand with a matched set of doubles can keep up a rate of fire that puts any pump or semi to shame.🙄

As Cass said lots of people won't shoot them at all, me included. Some of it is because they are "another man's sport"

A very debatable, emotive and subjective point.Plus a lot of superstition about the hare in Irish folklore,that still comes thru occasionally. Personally,I'd rather have a nice dinner of jugged hare than have one torn to bits by some ethnic minorities lurcher and have it flung in a ditch someplace, or worry it will turn into a woman or have 7 years of bad luck ..Or something.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly,

Forgot the folklore around the hare 😉 Yes, that's part of it too.

Very emotive subject alright.

As for the ethnic minorities coursing hares. All of that is illegal as I doubt they have required licences so therefore not the sport I was referring to.

Thankfully hares are making a good comeback in my area.

Use a semi shotgun myself for game but only load 2 x shells. It can take 3. It's the way I was "coached" by those, many who are now gone, who introduced & fostered my hunting education.

MODERATOR WARNING

Some posts and replies to them have been removed due to multiple breaches of the forum rules.

Anymore incivility, name calling, discussion of prohibited topics, and it's a ban. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Anyone have a link to the Garda firearms page, the links in the "firearms licensing information" do not seem to work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Advertisement