Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Guess it's time again for my experience with a Freemont built, 2019 M3P, faultless in the last 4 years. No panel gaps, no squeeks.

Still better than competition in all departments, except maybe noise on the motorway, being 400kg lighter than an i4 M50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Most people don't care enough to post about their positive experiences with Teslas, they just do the job for cheaper, less hassle etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How very childish of you, but if personally attacking / mocking someone you don’t know on the internet makes you feel like a ‘man’ tally ho….

But hey, it’s Christmas, so safe flight.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't think either of you can claim the high ground looking over the last few pages of posts.

Any many that do fault it had to jump into €100k cars to outshine them. Madness ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's too many complaints about Tesla's build quality for it to be a rare lemon.

That said any product can have issues. It just a known quirk of Tesla's.

Doesn't seem to be any shortage of People telling you about their Tesla either here or online.

Very easy to know someone is a Tesla owner anyway.

I think Tesla cars were scrutinized more than any other car made in history. We are just in a timeframe where instant access to the net made everyone a car reviewer and some jumped on the band wagon.

There are many cars out there with perfect paint, perfect gaps and no rattles and constant spouted by the €100k barge owners on here. But they are giving out about a €40k car while sitting in their €100k cars that have similar issues.

Heres a TT with similar gaps and misaligned panels.

BMW had similar on the G30 and previous cars. Mercedes left the factory with such bad paint, it was hilarious. I posted pictures of the EQS that had to be sent back on the day of collection!

But I completely agree with you that new brands develop. They are 10 years making mainstream cars now.

BYD are similar now. I really like the Seal but I have some photos that shows its alignment in a not so shining light but my guess is that won’t be scrutinized as much as Tesla for some reason?

Look at the door gaps and alignment here.

Porsche similar. They all seem to have their good apples and bad apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I haven't read through the full thread, but it seems some people are very emotionally invested in Tesla. But can you really say that his actions are not hurting the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The 3s and Ys delivered to Irish customers this year have been excellent. They are the only Teslas being bought in this country now, so there's little point in cross-contaminating from other models or other manufacturing locations.

As a buyer you make an informed decision about the interior during your test drive, and then you have the weeks/months in-between deposit and purchase to back out because you've gone off the interior. When you push through to the sale and accept the car you lose the right to moan about a cheap plasticky interior or panel gaps.

Rattles fair enough, but apart from the passenger seat belt rattle we've not heard about (m)any others on here this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Re build quality: I've had a 2016 S, a 2017 X and a 2022 3. The 3 was the only made in china and it's been by far the best for build quality. Like, it's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭josip

What does your "other 67% of shareholders" refer to? Musk owns just under 13% of Tesla according to Nasdaq in August. Has that changed since then?

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/how-much-tesla-stock-does-elon-musk-own-and-what-other-companies-does-he-control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭traco

Sorry - bad math, meant 87%, corrected now.

Some people are also emotionally invested in posting against them. It works both ways.

As I posted at the starting the thread, whatever about the CEO, according to the actual facts that I posted at the start, sales are not been effected in Ireland at least.

Only the VW ID4 has sold more that the Y, being No. 2 and in the new car sales in 2023 would indicate he has no effect.

Would they have more sales without him, I don’t think so as the majority of posters that are against the man, also don’t like the car so they were never potential customers no matter who is at the wheel.

I think very few people buy (or don't buy) cars based on their opinion of the CEO. But that wasn't the question the OP asked. He asked about it hurting the company.

As such he's made some awful decisions that have cost shareholders in his other company dearly. That is mostly where any negative impact will occur with Tesla. With shareholders etc. Tesla also has production issues is not meeting is estimates or demand. Labour issues are a part of that, and he's a factor in that.

I have about 4 posts in this thread or indeed any other Musk related thread. I have pretty much zero interest in cars, but obviously I need a car to get around, I regard them as boxes that get me from A to B. I don't really see them as a status symbols as some people would for 2 reasons really, I am not really trying to make a kind of statement and given my earnings the cost of a car is fairly insignificant. Now, with Tesla I would definitely be put off by Musk's promoting conspiracies and shitposting on Twitter. I would be pretty pissed off as a shareholder as clearly a CEO keeping his controversial opinions to himself is better for the brand than a CEO that winds people up (I am pretty sure he does all this just to piss people off).

Some people like cars though. For some they are not just A to B boxes on wheels. You’re not into cars, that’s fine. We all have our own hobbies. But saying they are used by some as status symbols and then post that the cost of cars are insignificant to your earnings is a status symbol post in itself 😂

The sales stats seem to state that he is not hurting Tesla currently. That could change.

Agree, hence my posts on sales stats and facts.

I am anonymous on here. So I am not trying to impress anyone.

Ok. I don’t think any Tesla owners are trying to impress anyone or consider their cars as status symbols considering they are a mass produced €40k car though.

Now if I pulled up in a Porsche Taycan or Audi eTron GT, that’s a status statement.

• Advertisement

You (I assume) have no way of knowing how many issues those cars had. As such it's not credible statement. No product is 100% perfect. Especially not cars.

He has learned like Trump that bad publicity is good for marketing. There's also a bit of a narcissist in most really famous people in that start to believe normal rules don't apply to them. They believe their own hype. We see this with twitter. But being brilliant doesn't mean you can't be wrong.

Thus far he's has had minimal negative impact on Tesla IMO. But its a concern. But there are other issues likely to have greater effect like competition from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I doubt his (Elon Musk) actions are hurting the company (Tesla)

It's a little over a year since he bought Twitter in October 2022 and his crazy rampage started soon after

In that time Tesla's performance in the stock market has grown 83% and has become the most valuable brand within the global auto industry, double the second biggest

He has been shitposting and pushing conspiracies a lot longer than a year. Plus, have a look at the chart over a slightly longer time frame:

It has increased alright, but still way down on highs.

100% agree.

We see manufacturing issues in all cars from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Tesla etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If the 2023 3s and Ys from China had as many problems as some are suggested we would have heard all about it by now, like we did with California cars a few years ago in the early days of the 3.

Nothwithstanding issues like "plastic interior" and "panel gaps" are items you make a purchase decision go/no-go on because already know about them *before* signing paperwork, so unfortunately hold no credibility for the poster moaning about Tesla.

Moaning about those items after sale is his/her way of fuelling the "Teslas are shite" narrative that suits him/her, but it's not credible.

Let's hear about the mechanical, electrical or software faults the 2023 Teslas developed with ownership that couldn't have been known before sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭josip

How does the share price compare to other manufacturers over that 5Y period? eg.

Lots of long term reviews with faults and issues that arise during ownership of any car or product.

You keep making these impossible blanket statements.

There are long term reliability surveys and studies if people want to look them up. There are sites that list all the pros and cons of all cars.

Every other share price is most likely down on their highs.

Can you post a comparison?

BMW for example

Ford

All down from their highs…..

• Advertisement

I quoted one earlier (The German Power Survey) and was told by an Audi owner they were meaningless 🤷

Advertisement