Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Lennon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, anyone who thinks that obviously listens to very little music and needs to broaden their horizons considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Every song has its moments, for me it was at the end of The Killing Fields. Suited it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

I liked the bit of 'Imagine' where John told his audience to imagine how great a world of 'no possessions' would be, while John sat on a net worth of $200,000,000

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Elton John confronted Lennon about the same thing, to which Lennon replied “it’s only a bloody song.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Elvis Costello had a “pop” in his song ‘The Other Side of Summer’. He says “Was it a millionaire who said ‘Imagine no possessions’?”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it's possible to love and hate Imagine at the same time: it is a dumb song, but also kind of a beautiful one too.

Was listening to Plastic Ono Band the last day. Whatever about the rest of his solo stuff - I'm not going to die on a hill for it - but, fck me, Plastic Ono Band is amazing. Maybe I'll entertain comparisons with Westlife as being something other than witless if, I dunno, Bryan McFadden releases something that reaches into my soul like that album.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's good, but like Harrisons early post Beatles output IMHO they would have been better tighter albums if they'd been Beatle albums. They were very good at putting the breaks on each others self indulgent tendencies and coming up with a better whole.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Helluva bass player alright. He was quite "basic" in the early days, but then he started to get really inventive and melodic as their output strayed more and more away from pop/rock/blues. One of the best bass players of his generation IMHO. Lennon was a pretty good rhythm guitar player too. He damn near attacks the strings, but also has a great ear for melody, at least in the early days. Ringo was pretty much the best drummer for them. In all their recording sessions they only had to stop a take because he fecked up a tiny handful of times and he had an incredible feel for a song. Even McCartney the most control freakery of them has said he very rarely asked him to change his drumming. He and the rest just accepted no matter what else was going on that the drums would kinda just work out. Even Lennon's odd timings and changes of timing didn't phase him. Though once Lennon brought in a record and asked him to try and do something like that. "But John there are two drummers on that track". "Ah sure don't let that bother you Richie".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He couldn't tour outside America for years after he got there. He didn't have a Green Card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

That's not too different from back in the 60's. Was listening to a Podcast with Andrew Loog Oldham (The Stones Manager) and he was saying the back then a new singed band would be allowed to cut a single and it had to make top 40. If it did, they could cut another one - if that did the same - they might be allowed cut an E.P. ...

... although once they get over that hurdle and listening habits changed moving into the 70's (became more album orientated) - established bands did get more opportunities to experiment with the album format. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Watch Peter Jacksons "Get Back"

It was pure musiclal genius , just watch them assemble classic songs .....

Its astonishing to watch them take ideas, expand, collaborate and craft songs like the "Long & winding Road" , "Get Back" etc .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Your image is an altered photo.

I can't seem to find the real image easily but here is unaltered ass crack version.

The current print of the record from which this was the album image, contains more images from this photoshoot including a full frontal image of the pair.

Given their insane workload and even more insane expectations of the 60's he probably just wanted and needed a rest too. Only McCartney had the crazy work thing going on and continued, but even he dialled right back in the aftermath.

IIRC the Beatles original contract stipulated something crazy like two albums a year, plus singles, which couldn't be on the albums(hence Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane weren't on Sgt Pepper). Add in touring, TV and personal appearances, films etc. Touring like they did wasn't an established well oiled machine at that stage. Even Elvis hadn't played in front of the size of audiences they did.

They were on a much faster treadmill and under way more pressure than established acts today. Same with the Stones, Who, Kinks, Beachboys(Brian Wilson suffered a mental break from the stress) and other contemporaries. They all worked like galley slaves with remarkably little time off. When the Beatles took six months to record Sgt Pepper the press were full of stories that they were over, broken up, out of ideas. Six months. Even there they were working on it for six day weeks into the early hours. Not like acts today who might take "years" between albums, but actually go into the studio for a few weeks to actually record and produce it. Then that came out to massive fanfare and the next week they were back in the studio making new stuff and producing a Christmas film. When that was done and dusted they were back in again to write and record a double album. Oh and in between their manager died and they took off to India for a while. As you do. And as many others had gone full psychedelic in their wake their double album walked away from all that with a very different sound and made that clear with it's starkly blank cover.

I think with the passage of time it's hard for us today to appreciate just how hard those 60's 'icons' worked and the pressures they were under and how they were unprotected from that. The PR and management machines were primitive compared to today.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Got a green card around ’75/‘76… still a goood few years doing nada. In the US too.

Well, he wasn’t doing nothing, he was doing a fair bIt of heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thought he kicked that in the UK before he left ?

He wanted and needed to spend a few years doing nada. I think they were all a bit off their rockers (even without the drugs) by the time the Beatles came to an end, John more than the others. I think it's pretty obvious that John had mental health issues anyway, throughout his life. He seemed to be finally getting things together when he was murdered - planning a trip to Liverpool to rebuild his relationship with Julian and visit his Aunt Mimi and sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The no singles on albums was their own choice. The reason given by the band and George Martin was that they didn't want the fans to have to pay for the songs a second time. Obviously that policy did not apply to The Beatles' US albums released by Capitol.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Minister for Hardship

At last a thread about the great Laois hurler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon_(hurler)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Delted post, Wrong thread.

Imagine a band forming in 2012, disbanding this year, and achieving what The Beatles did. It was fleeting but beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve been fortune enough to see Paul and his band 3 times and while I was expected to be impressed by the band, their musicianship, the amazing song catalog and indeed the stage, screen, innovative video graphics etc… and fûck you are and some… but on leaving the RDS I just remember being blown away first and foremost by what a great musician he was, how absolutely piss easy he made getting that sound from his bass, while singing, manoeuvring about the stage with the energy of a 20 year old, interacting with the audience and band mates, he hardly looks at the instrument during the show.. incredible…

lots of great musicians I’ve know are good songwriters, lots great songwriters good musicians but to have both isn’t all that common…

John I think if he’d been more focused on just music post Beatles, but he became uber political, an activist, you’d wonder how much influence Yoko would have wanted and been granted as regards music, songwriting and performing, and the political distractions…a lot I’d imagine. To his detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

What is this vague sht he's supposed to have done exactly?

Moved forward, pioneered a new way, pushed the boundaries, influenced the environment, changed the game.

David Brent stuff.

Music is the pie and Ive made the pie and contemporary music is the ... fruit, in the pie

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

I would have thought john Lennon influenced alternative music , he wasn’t pop at all

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Also I feel slightly nauseous for having looked at Lennons national geographic penis and arse. and 1970s pubes.

Take that down. Thank fck for clothes.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• In Sept 1988 when Elvis Presley was famously asked by Ray Montague-Haig from Time Magazine, “What’s it like to be the greatest bass player in the world?”, Presley replied “I don’t know, you’d better ask Yoko Ono that question”. And the rest is of course, history.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I can’t find it but whoever said above that ‘Revolution’ was a bad song is talking sh…

I believe that was in relation to ‘Revolution 9’ off of the White Album. One of the worst things ever committed to tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

A shìt father who pontificated to the world from a bed made by the maid, a cult leader who was talented enough to make it in music, given a different path in life you could nearly see him living in the desert in Nevada with a loyal following of lennonites and having 12 wives

Advertisement