Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer (graduate) (general) 2022 civil service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Batch 3, have been called for clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 karenob1

Make sure you get employment status from you job that says what grade and salary you are on .And make sure you get a job description and job roll so they can see that it is angolous. Don't wait for them to ask get it all before hand cause you will be waiting from the public service hr to do it.then you are waiting for the civil service to see if you are angolous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 karenob1

This is only for people coming from public sector into the civil service to see if they match your salary.

Sorry I should have said this in the last post..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭OKDublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kb1234

Hi everyone, I'm in batch 3 and have completed clearance. Does anyone know where they are at in terms of hiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭elfie123

I got invited to interview just now, anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wolfskuil

• Registered Users Posts: 7 truespark

Can I ask what your OOM was? Congratulations and best of luck with the interview!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Hi, I have been given an interview date for this comp. Should I have received a confirmation e-mail from PAS after sending on my photo ID and confirmation of attendance?

I did not get the usual automated email so I emailed again asking for confirmation. I got a reply then saying my initial email was received.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Sorry but if you knew what I have been through you would think again. Permanent Civil Servants are “gods” they can’t be sacked and they know this. They treat people horribly if you step on their toes. I paid so dearly for stepping on someone’s toes that he bullied me continuously for a year to destroy my confidence. I had to leave my job and the Civil Service. What happened to me was so wrong and I will never stop speaking about it. The injustice still makes me angry. I agree with you that I am now an embittered civil servant and I will probably never change. This manager threatened me whenever he could and destroyed my reputation. He himself arrived very late for several meetings and was highly incompetent. But I got punished when I asked questions. I went to HR and they couldn’t care less. They even said not to mention the B word. A/Secs and above couldn’t care less just busy counting their pension. The kinda stuff I’Ve seen shows Ireland as a third world country. I have recordings and emails of the behaviour for any eager journalists au fait with GDPR law I would be interested in working with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcg_philip

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for the presentation. I have an interview approaching in early June. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 timetime21

No I wouldn't. I empathized with your situation and am not doubting that, but again, as I stated in my comment that doesn't give you the right to make seriously untrue sweeping comments about the whole of the civil service - how can you not understand that distinction?

Civil servants are not gods and can be sacked. They are all also not spiteful beings that go out of their way to make peoples lives hard for 'stepping on their toes'. How can you not see that your personal experience isn't the case for the whole 40k+ staff in the civil service?

Like its wild the statements you are making here again, my ASec is excellent and goes out of her way to know everyone in the division and isnt just here counting her pension, she has given me invaluable advice I will take with me for the rest of my career. I can say the same for a number of ASecs in my Dept.

Again, I will say it sounds like you went through a difficult experience, but I seriously urge you to reflect on your own behavior before you go doing something you regret.

I have just been offered the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration & Youth. Which sounds great. However I live and work in Japan - does anyone know if they allow deferral?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sinradler

Deferral (say for a year) is absolutely not allowed but if you wanted to delay your start then that's something that you should ask them about! I would say no more than three months would be given and that might be pushing it but I'm guessing. I've never heard of someone delaying their start for more than a month but that doesn't mean anything really!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭countyireland12345

Anyone started a role in Dublin but not relocated to Dublin - i.e. is hybrid working a thing and how's it going?

Post edited by countyireland12345 on

My interview felt pretty bad; I thought one interviewer kind of kept putting me off, spoke over me, tried to contradict me or cast shade on my answers right from the get go. It made the whole thing more stressful, and I performed worse than I should have. Be very surprised if I got it.

• Advertisement

That's very dispiriting to hear and perplexing.

Anybody have any tips on the best way to approach the 3 key actions the civil service can take ? Any advice greatly appreciated, have my presentation this week 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Thanks, but I just found my experience difficult. Interviews can go like that I guess. It was likely not intentional by the interviewer, and I could have tried to be less nervous or to have better anticipated such a situation. I will next time. I have worked in the civil service and have had some excellent managers, so don't agree with your generalisations about civil service management. (Nor do such interview boards comprise only civil servants.) I have no interest in the private sector. I am sorry that you had a bad experience in the civil service, but perhaps there are more productive ways of dealing with that than clogging up thematically specific message groups with prolix axe-grinding.

I also thought my interview went poorly - bad wifi didn't help! And I was recently offered a job, so hold out hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 crystalani01

Does anyone have any information on how long the process was following confirmation that you have the role? I am waiting on my degree classification to come back from my uni and have sorted accommodation from 8th July onwards, but I am worried that I may not even start for another few months. I can't really afford to live in Dublin without this job but equally I won't be likely to find anywhere else to live as I have it sorted through a friend of a friend.

I was told by clearance that they cant progress with my application until they have confirmation of my degree classification, which could be mid-end of June or even July. Does anyone know how long after they have this confirmation that I will be placed in a department?

I am really concerned that this will not go according to plan and I will either end up in lots of debt paying for a room in Dublin without a job, or I will end up with nowhere to live because the process has taken too long and I've had to give up my room. If anyone has any info or rough guidance at all I'd really appreciate it.

I think you might want to consider some sort of temporary job in the meantime. Others can correct me but I think you will still need to go through the Garda and reference check after the eligibility stage. Then you need to wait for the department you are assigned to you to get back to you and when they do they may not want you to start immediately. For example the AP might be on holidays and might not want you to start until they come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 georrge

I also have my interview and presentation this week. Starting to get a bit nervous now. If anyone has any advice, tips, examples of questions asked etc., would be greatly appreciated! :)

I wonder what the interview pass rate is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Henman007

Interview this week… typically how long til results are out?

Advertisement