Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Can be Picked up on Long Wave Around Ireland?

Options
  • 21-10-2022 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Looking at another thread about long wave prompted this one. AM is split between Medium Wave and Long Wave. Radio 1 of course, for the time being, transmit on 252metres Long Wave, as well as their FM transmitters and online. I no longer have a radio with Long Wave. What else can be picked up on it? Obviously, judging by another thread, French station RTL is one of them for the short-term anyway. Any BBC stations? I remember when BBC Radio 2 used to be very clear on Long Wave many years ago. In the last decade, I remember picking up Radio 4 there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

BBC Radio 4 is there on 198kHz. Superb quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Radio 2 was on Long Wave on 200 kHz until 1978 when Radio 4 took over that frequency. It was shifted down to 198 in the late 80s and has been there ever since. I wonder what state the transmitter is in now, being 37 years old? I'm aware of the media coverage a while back but that sounded like someone heard about it being valve-based and latched on to it as some ancient relic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember I had a LW radio once which must have been slightly mistuned as I was able to receive aviation non-directional beacons whic transmit on frequencies just above commercial LW.

I remember a particularly strong signal (slow morse reading BNY) which was a radio beacon rear Bunratty castle, long since removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Radio 2 was the "Light Programme" back in the days. I doubt anybody online here would remember that one, and yes, they were on LW 198 prior to Radio 4 taking over that frequency.

Since the question was asked, yes it's an old transmitter and they bought all the still available valves for storage, just in case.

I also remember navigation beacons on LW, I recall there is or was one near Heathrow airport.

The French also have a time signal on 162 I think.

Morocco on 171 may make it to Ireland at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The LW band starts at 153 kHz and goes up to 279 in 9 kHz channels, with frequences being divisible by 9. That is what put the BBC on to 198 when new channels were agreed for LW and MW. Currently with a good receiver and aerial I can hear Romania 153, France 162 (time signals), Morocco 171, Iceland 189, UK 198, Iceland 207, Poland 225, Luxembourg 234 (closing end of 2022), Denmark 243, Ireland and Algeria 252. Signals travel much futher during darkness hours.

Between the LW and MW (starts at 531 kHz) bands there are loads of beacons sending their ID's in morse code. Below 153 there are lots of digital signals, including a time signal on 77.5 from Germany which regulates the time on my watch. There is another time signal on 60 from GB. All of these can be heard on the Kiwi online receivers, a few of which are in Ireland. 518 and 490 khz are Navtex broadcasts, marine navigational bulletins. Select NAVTEX/DSC from the Extensions drop down menu on a Kiwi receiver.

http://kiwisdr.com/public/

• Advertisement

LW radios are rather hard to come by these days. I still have one myself.

With Kiwi SDR you can pick any receiver on offer.

I doubt that you can receive 252 from Algeria, if the same frequency is on air in Ireland.

The signal on 77.5 from Germany is probably the time signal from some atomic clock.

77.5 kHz is a 50 kilowatt transmitter designed to regulate timepieces all over Europe. I have a radio controlled watch. It does not need as much power as a broadcaster due to the type of modulation used.

Your LW radio should have an internal ferrite rod aerial with directional properties. At night you should be able to null RTE and make Algeria dominant on the channel. Best to do this when one station has music and the other one has speech.

I have a Sony clock radio for LW reception. It picks up Morocco at night with ease, same as Romania, and BBC Radio 4 and Iceland all day.

This radio doesn't have the functionality you described, but it's in general very sensitive on all AM bands. Interestingly it can shift from 9kHz to 10kHz on MW which is nice to have if in Ireland, to pick up signals from North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I listen to BBC radio 4 on long wave on an old Sony Walkman SRF-M37L. Use google when indoors and sometimes my phone for TuneIn.

Ive also got a Sony clock radio in the bedroom, model ICF C220L. I bought it about 1982 and it’s still perfect for listening to long wave.

You'll probably be able to pick up Iceland, Morocco and sometimes Denmark. The BBC Radio 4 signal would be strong, they actually have 3 big transmitters, two of them in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Baseball72

"The Light Programme" indeed - I remember it well. Also, the "Home Service"(which would most likely be Radio 4 today) used to have the intro before the news of "This is London..." followed by the chimes of Big Ben if memory services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I love the sound of longwave, that mono tone. It sounds like long ago. Add in the odd crackling sound here and there. And it feels like I'm in old time's 🙌

"This is London" followed by the sig. Lillibulero was the BBC World service identification for many years.

Lillibulero has anti-Catholic links to the 17th and 18th century so was dropped some years ago.

The Home service became Radio 4 in 1967 and in fact had it's own signature tune written by Steve Race but it hasn't been used for decades

It's not only that, but it's the simple technology as well. It's relatively simple from a technical point of view to send as well as receive an AM signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

RTE on 252 currently off the air this Sat evening, so Algeria being heard there in the clear

Update: came back on the air at 7pm approx, but this lasted only a few minutes, currently off again

Post edited by Antenna on

They're back on now. Maybe it was only some maintenance work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Aertel p.169 says it was due to a technical fault. A little embarrassing for such a problem to occur so soon after scheduled maintenance.

I don't want to express any pleasures for RTE's misfortunes on the LW transmitter, but strictly from a technical aspect, I'd be interested to know what really happened? - rather than a shallow and non-descriptive "technical fault".

• Advertisement

I never saw a detailed technical report published for any outage. The BBC are having ongoing problems with the Radio 4 LW transmitter in England, and they only say essential engineering.

"Essential engineering work is taking place on the Droitwich transmitter that will involve a period of shutdown for up to 8 hours on radio between Wednesday 28th September and Friday 14th October." - BBC Reception Help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The R4 feed suffers badly from sibilance at times-it is documented at length on at least one of the vintage radio fora in the UK.

I recall that one of the BBC technical staff reads the thread, but again, not a lot is forthcoming-as I understand it, infrastructural maintenance is contracted out anyway.

In relation to RTE, the last thing I'd expect from them is transparency. They would close Clarkstown in the morning, but for political pressure.

BBC Radio 4 has 3 strong transmitters on 198, two of them in Scotland and one in England. The forth one is in a tunnel underneath the river Thames to provide coverage in the tunnel.

If one of the 3 transmitters is down, two of them are still there. Theoretically the one in England can cover the whole of the British Isles. I do understand the reason for the transmitter in the tunnel, but the rest of the three stronger ones are probably there to back each other up, just in case....?

As many will probably know, the R4 LW signal is used as part of the UK's nuclear forces, in that loss of reception of R4 (along with other obvious clues like loss of contact with command and control) is take to mean a nuclear attack has taken place.

I have heard this story often, but I don't think it's really true. There is also the story about communication with nuclear submarines of the Royal Navy. Neither the French nor the US-Americans do have something similar.

What I believe more to be the case is in event of a nuclear attack, submarines are to check whether BBC Radio 4 still has conversations and discussions as well as live news broadcasts going on with the objective to check whether there is still civilization in the UK.

From a strict military and communications point of view BBC Radio 4 has nothing much to do with submarines and the Royal Navy. Also UK shipping vessels do not rely on the shipping forecast on BBC Radio 4, but VHF signals off ports where the shipping forecast is repeated many times every day.

Submarines communicate on a different frequency, very very low, way lower than 198kHz to make communication under water possible. The rate of transmission is very slow and limited, though, often just limited to ASCII code. I think they would deploy some kind of buoy staying around 20 or 30 meters below surface to pick up signals and take orders, but am not certain about that.

Higher frequencies tend to "bounce off" the surface of the water, whilst low AM frequencies are able to penetrate under the surface to some degree.

I did say that it was only one of the factors taken into account in the event a submarine commander had lost contact with his normal chain of command. As you say it would only be used to see if there was any normal activity under way in the UK.

That being said, although the LW signal can penetrate further underwater than higher frequencies, the range would still be limited to fairly close to the UK.

The two in Scotland are 50 kilowatt, the big one in central England is 500 kilowatt. The reason for the Scottish ones is that the 500 kilowatt cannot give reliable coverage in Scotland.

And Radio 4 is on medium wave around the UK, to give better local coverage than that available on LW and FM. In NI they are on 720 kHz from two transmitters in Belfast and Derry and on 774 from Enniskillen. In Scotland they are on 1449 for the Aberdeen area.

It was the same here with the 500 kilowatt transmitter in Tullamore on medium wave. A local 10 kilowatt transmitter had to be operated in Cork also to give reliable coverage in that area.

I was always a bit surprised about the 720 kHz and the 774 as well as the 1449 for Radio 4.

There is also the 1485, the 603 as well as the 756 in use for parts of the UK?

Maybe somebody can enlighten me why a MW transmitter is in use as well? It's not that the LW reception is that bad. The Aberdeen transmitter is actually quite close to Burghead as well as Westerglen.

Also AM audience of BBC Radio 4 for seems to get lower more and more, except for listeners in Ireland, or maybe North of France.

A lot of it could be down to history. But they are on the way out. You can search this document for Aberdeen, Enniskillen etc.

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/Opinion_AM.pdf

Summary

"AM radio in the British Isles is now in terminal decline with audiences dropping and many transmitters closed already. The majority of the remaining transmitters will likely close by the end of 2027. Over the next few years, the BBC and major commercial broadcasters will be looking to minimise their AM transmission costs by reducing transmission powers at the high-power sites and closing some of the low-power transmitters serving small audiences. A coordinated AM shutdown may then follow at some point, most likely in 2027, though some independent broadcasters may continue using AM beyond this. This article explores these issues in more detail."

• Advertisement

I'd say the problem is that different generations have different listening habits, from AM, to FM, to DAB, to online. That's also the problem the BBC has when faced with the need to save cost.

Advertisement